An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fatwa Against Pakistan Pres For "flirting" With Palin

Madame Vengier

Madame Vengier

[quote]No Fun In Islam* Alert: "Fatwa against Zardari for 'flirting' with Palin," from NDTV, September 29 (thanks to PRCS):

Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari seems to be heading towards fresh trouble as the prayer leader of the Lal Masjid in the heart of Islamabad has issued a fatwa against him.
Maulana Abdul Ghafar, the prayer leader, seems to be irked by Zardari's "you're gorgeous" compliment to US vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin during a meeting.

When Zardari was asked to keep shaking hands with Palin for the cameras, he said, "If he's (the aide) insisting, I might hug you."

He said the act was un-Islamic and unbecoming of a head of state of a Muslim country.

Maulana also said that Zardari shamed the entire Pakistani by publicly making indecent gestures towards Palin in Washington last Thursday....

*It was the Ayatollah Khomeini who enunciated the famous principle, "There is no fun in Islam."[/quote]

source: [url="http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/022888.php"]http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/022888.php[/url]

If the hardline Islamic clerics don't like their leaders shaking hands with and paying compliments to the lovely Mrs. Palin now, just wait until she becomes Vice President of the United States.

She seems to have a "problem" with this doesn't she? :topsy:

Did you watch the SNL skit?

[quote]POEHLER AS CLINTON: "But Sarah, one thing we can agree on is that sexism can never be allowed to permeate an American election."

FEY AS PALIN: "So please, stop photoshopping my head on sexy bikini pictures."

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And stop saying I have cankles."

FEY AS PALIN: "Don't refer to me as a 'MILF.'"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "And don't refer to me as a 'FLURJ.' I Googled what it stands for and I do not like it."

FEY AS PALIN: "So we ask reporters and commentators, stop using words that
diminish us, like 'pretty,' 'attractive,' 'beautiful.'"

POEHLER AS CLINTON: "'Harpy,' 'shrew' and :censored: '"[/quote]

She's a beautiful and attractive woman, not even a Muslim man could ignore that!

I find this whole story hilarious! I can't imagine what they will do to him because of his harmless flirting?

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667021' date='Sep 30 2008, 01:56 PM']She seems to have a "problem" with this doesn't she? :topsy:

Did you watch the SNL skit?

She's a beautiful and attractive woman, not even a Muslim man could ignore that!

I find this whole story hilarious! I can't imagine what they will do to him because of his harmless flirting?[/quote]

The only comment of the Cleric was that the President's actions were unbecoming a Muslim head of state.

A Fatwa is simply a legal oppinion by an Islamic Scholar. This cleric is probably a Sunni Muslim which makes the Fatwa non-binding.

Your assumptions are interesting.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hassan' post='1667289' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:34 PM']The only comment of the Cleric was that the President's actions were unbecoming a Muslim head of state.

A Fatwa is simply a legal oppinion by an Islamic Scholar. This cleric is probably a Sunni Muslim which makes the Fatwa non-binding.

Your assumptions are interesting.[/quote]

...as are yours...

(Obama is the infinitely better prez candidate?? HA!)

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667623' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:09 AM']...as are yours...

(Obama is the infinitely better prez candidate?? HA!)[/quote]

Obama has nothing to do with this, and in this thread I have made no asumptions. I have given an accurate definition of what a Fatwa is, and pointed out that you and MV had no evidence for your assumptions.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667623' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:09 AM']...as are yours...

(Obama is the infinitely better prez candidate?? HA!)[/quote]

DomSoul, it doesn't matter what you say, Hassan is going to defend Islam and Muslims and fatwas and Islamic Warfare and demand "evidence" and then condemn the evidence you provide and even call your character into question. It's what he's here for.

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='Hassan' post='1667289' date='Sep 30 2008, 11:34 PM']The only comment of the Cleric was that the President's actions were unbecoming a Muslim head of state.

[b]A Fatwa is simply a legal oppinion by an Islamic Scholar. This cleric is probably a Sunni Muslim which makes the Fatwa non-binding.[/b]

Your assumptions are interesting.[/quote]

And a Wikiwa is simply someone quoting Wikipedia because he doesn't know any better.

[b]From Wikipedia:[/b]

[i]A fatwā (Arabic: فتوى‎; plural fatāwā Arabic: فتاوى‎), in the Islamic faith is a religious opinion on Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar. In Sunni Islam any fatwa is non-binding, whereas in Shia Islam it could be, depending on the status of the scholar[/i]

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1668015' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:24 PM']And a Wikiwa is simply someone quoting Wikipedia because he doesn't know any better.

[i]A fatwā (Arabic: فتوى‎; plural fatāwā Arabic: فتاوى‎), in the Islamic faith is a religious opinion on Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar. In Sunni Islam any fatwa is non-binding, whereas in Shia Islam it could be, depending on the status of the scholar[/i][/quote]

?

If you look at what I wrote compared to wikipedia it is obiously not a quote. I am not suprised that Wikipedia has the same information it is very basic information. There is a reason Iran claims it cannot remove the Fatwa against Rushdi.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1668015' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:24 PM']And a Wikiwa is simply someone quoting Wikipedia because he doesn't know any better.

[i]A fatwā (Arabic: فتوى‎; plural fatāwā Arabic: فتاوى‎), in the Islamic faith is a religious opinion on Islamic law issued by an Islamic scholar. In Sunni Islam any fatwa is non-binding, whereas in Shia Islam it could be, depending on the status of the scholar[/i][/quote]

SPANK!

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1668004' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:19 PM']DomSoul, it doesn't matter what you say, Hassan is going to defend Islam and Muslims and fatwas and Islamic Warfare and demand "evidence" and then condemn the evidence you provide and even call your character into question. It's what he's here for.[/quote]

I will defend Muslim from bigotry. I'm happy to do the same thing for other groups when the enviorment is different.

Today I scolded an outdoor preacher for makeing claims about Catholics he could not support. He claimed you all worshiped Mary and cited her designation as a co-redemptrix, I demanded that he defime what the Church means by Co-Redemptrix. When he could not define it I chastized him for makeing ignorant claims about an entire group of people (does this sound at all familiar?).

I reject YOUR evidence because you provide no good evidence.

If you can point to a good, solid argument of yours that I have ignored I will respond to it.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hassan' post='1668032' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:35 PM']I will defend Muslim from bigotry. I'm happy to do the same thing for other groups when the enviorment is different.

Today I scolded an outdoor preacher for makeing claims about Catholics he could not support. He claimed you all worshiped Mary and cited her designation as a co-redemptrix, I demanded that he defime what the Church means by Co-Redemptrix. When he could not define it I chastized him for makeing ignorant claims about an entire group of people (does this sound at all familiar?).

I reject YOUR evidence because you provide no good evidence.

If you can point to a good, solid argument of yours that I have ignored I will respond to it.[/quote]

Thanks for defending Mary, Hassan. I'm impressed!

But really, I wasn't trying to be a bigot. I really thought they would do something to this guy just for flirting with Palin. I know they do worse to others for the slightest infringement of the rules...

like go on a murderous rampage throughout the world, just because of some silly cartoon of mohammad...

It's easy to make these assumptions when they prove them from time to time...

Edited by dominicansoul

dominicansoul

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1668004' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:19 PM']DomSoul, it doesn't matter what you say, Hassan is going to defend Islam and Muslims and fatwas and Islamic Warfare and demand "evidence" and then condemn the evidence you provide and even call your character into question. It's what he's here for.[/quote]

Don't you just love him? :topsy:

Madame Vengier

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1668310' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:04 AM']Don't you just love him? :topsy:[/quote]

I don't love him or hate him. I just ignore him.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1668308' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:01 AM']Thanks for defending Mary, Hassan. I'm impressed![/quote]

No problem, I am more than happy to defend Catholics from the ugly slurs one hears in the South.

[quote]But really, I wasn't trying to be a bigot.[/quote]

I would never think you were. The preacher I argued with insisted he loves Catholics as well (as fate would have it he was, so he claims, raised Catholic with his mothe). He also has no intention of being a bigot or makeing bigoted statements. Yet he goes out and encourages misunderstanding and enmity by makeing these general, unsupported claims about Catholics.

[quote]I really thought they would do something to this guy just for flirting with Palin. I know they do worse to others for the slightest infringement of the rules...[/quote]

Who is "they"?

[quote]like go on a murderous rampage throughout the world, just because of some silly cartoon of mohammad...[/quote]

Do you remember "The Last Temptation of Christ"?

[quote]It's easy to make these assumptions when they prove them from time to time...[/quote]

So Catholics from Ireland really were lazy drunken bums. I do not think you would appreciate it if I promoted this stearotype because sometimes my assumptions proved true.