An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fatwa Against Pakistan Pres For "flirting" With Palin

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Hassan' post='1668781' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:38 PM']Do you remember "The Last Temptation of Christ"?[/quote]
Yes, and I am still scarred by memories of the murderous Christian rampage that took place. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between prayerful protests and boycotts, and public death-threats and fatwas - one that is often somehow lost on those in the "rationalist" crowd.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='Socrates' post='1668868' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:13 PM']Yes, and I am still scarred by memories of the murderous Christian rampage that took place. :rolleyes:

There is a difference between prayerful protests and boycotts, and public death-threats and fatwas - one that is often somehow lost on those in the "rationalist" crowd.[/quote]
There was violence and destruction when the last temptation of Christ came out in 88.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1669142' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:23 AM']There was violence and destruction when the last temptation of Christ came out in 88.[/quote]
Source?

I recall calls for boycotts of Universal Studios, etc., but no calls for murder.
A boycott and a fatwa aren't [i]quite[/i] the same thing, you know.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Socrates' post='1672395' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:09 PM']Source?

I recall calls for boycotts of Universal Studios, etc., but no calls for murder.
A boycott and a fatwa aren't [i]quite[/i] the same thing, you know.[/quote]

No, I don't think he does know.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1672925' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:54 PM']No, I don't think he does know.[/quote]

:sadder:

I have no idea.

When Bill O'Reilly called for a boycott of France I assumed he was issuing a legal oppinion as a function of his position as an Islamic legal scholar.

Also, I assume that by fatwa this Pakistani is encouraging his followers to stop buying products manufactured by Palin :detective:

[quote name='Socrates' post='1672395' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:09 PM']Source?

A boycott and a fatwa aren't [i]quite[/i] the same thing, you know.[/quote]

[url="http://www.cgjungpage.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=40"]http://www.cgjungpage.org/index.php?option...3&Itemid=40[/url]

[quote name='Hassan' post='1672978' date='Oct 8 2008, 08:57 PM'][url="http://www.cgjungpage.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=40"]http://www.cgjungpage.org/index.php?option...3&Itemid=40[/url][/quote]
That piece of psychobabble gives no sources or specifics either.

And even if a few obscure, isolated disturbed individuals made bomb-threats, there was nothing like the well-publicized public global death-threats called for by Islamic leaders.

While equivocating Islam and Christianity and claiming them to be exactly alike may be the pc thing, it is a claim totally without basis in fact.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1673928' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:05 AM']While equivocating Islam and Christianity and claiming them to be exactly alike may be the pc thing, it is a claim totally without basis in fact.[/quote]

I never claimed that they were exactly the same.

You first denied that there were bombings, threats etc.

Now you seem to be admitting that there may have been "isolated" incidents by a few disturbed individuals.

Do you really want to go through history and examine all the horrors commited by Christians? How about the mass slaughter of Palistinian Muslims in Lebenon by Lebonese Christians back in the 80's? How about the murder of countless European Jews through the centuries on charges that they desecrated the Eucharist or following Passion plays?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1674187' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:23 AM']I never claimed that they were exactly the same.

You first denied that there were bombings, threats etc.

Now you seem to be admitting that there may have been "isolated" incidents by a few disturbed individuals.

Do you really want to go through history and examine all the horrors commited by Christians? How about the mass slaughter of Palistinian Muslims in Lebenon by Lebonese Christians back in the 80's? How about the murder of countless European Jews through the centuries on charges that they desecrated the Eucharist or following Passion plays?[/quote]
Neither you nor the article you linked to gave any sources for a Christian "murderous rampage through the world" following the "Last Temptation" movie, so I remained unconvinced.

I decided to do a little research and came up with this (maybe Wikipedia's not the best source, but you can check the sources, and correct them if you find them in error):

The Danish cartoon "controversy" did indeed result in a violent rampage throughout the world, called for by various Muslim leaders.[quote]This led to protests across the Muslim world, some of which escalated into violence with police firing on the crowds (resulting in more than 100 deaths, altogether),[1] including setting fire to the Danish Embassies in Syria, Lebanon and Iran, storming European buildings, and desecrating the Danish, Dutch, Norwegian and German flags in Gaza City. While a number of Muslim leaders called for protesters to remain peaceful, other Muslim leaders across the globe, including Mahmoud al-Zahar of Hamas, issued death threats.[2][3][/quote]

Regarding the "murderous rampage" following [i]The Last Temptation [/i], all I could find is this:[quote]Protests against the movie from religious communities began before the film had even finished production. The studio was expecting a backlash due to the controversies revolving around any media treatment of Christ (see dramatic portrayals of Jesus Christ), but the protests accompanying Last Temptation were unprecedented.

On October 22, 1988, a French christian fundamentalist group launched molotov cocktails inside the Parisian Saint Michel movie theater to protest against the film. This attack injured thirteen people, four of whom were severely burned.[3][/quote]

We have widespread violence and public death-threats by prominent Muslim leaders with over a hundred killed following the cartoons vs. [i]one[/i] theater bombing by some group of nuts no one has heard of (in France of all places!) with 13 injured.

While I don't condone the French theater bombing, the Muslim and Christian responses in these two cases cannot honestly be equivocated.

Once again, the facts speak contrary to pc assertion.