An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lethal Self Defense, What Is Your Stance On This Issue?

White Knight

They told us in law school that it's easier paying off the family of a dead person, than take care of the medical bills and life time care, and lost wages from someone you just maim. Yeah, that's right, if you shoot an intruder, they can sue you for damages you do to them, and sometimes win.

White Knight

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1667797' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:07 PM']They told us in law school that it's easier paying off the family of a dead person, than take care of the medical bills and life time care, and lost wages from someone you just maim. Yeah, that's right, if you shoot an intruder, they can sue you for damages you do to them, and sometimes win.[/quote]

Unfortunately, and sadly you are right about that, with all the crazy laws and hypocritical double standards about a lot of laws on record, this makes it possible to can sue for anything and win, Sue anything and anybody, and have a good chance of winning. Even if the case isn't legitimetly serious or necessary.

The American Justice System needs reform in this area desperately, too many injustices go on.

:sword: God Bless, Pax Christi. :sword:

I think the bottom line is to be able to use ANYTHING as a weapon, whether it be a baseball bat or hockey stick, a set of keys, or a can of aerosol spray.

[quote name='Don John of Austria' post='1667128' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:32 PM']Shoot first, shoot last, shoot again. If any intruders are still up shoot them too. If there is a get away car in front of the house, well thats why I have a rifle, shoot that guy also. Give everyone a few minutes to bleed, then call 911.[/quote]

haha i love it, can we take pictures before we call 911 ??? please ????

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='White Knight' post='1666968' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:00 PM'][i][b][color="#FF0000"]My List in order would be.

1) Make sure everyone is alright, and call the police, using the lan line or a cell phone.
2) Not knowing how well armed the intruder may be, I'd arm myself immediately.
3) Stay in one place and wait for him/her to come to me before attacking. to legitimize SD claim
4) Depending on observation of the situtation within the moment, I'd use my best judgement on what form of self defense to take course on, if they weren't armed, I wouldn't kill them, wounding them would be more reasonable and to put your claims in favor that they were self defense, however, if this intruder were armed with a gun, I probally would do what would have to be done, and thats take the life, for the overall safey of myself or others within a house hold.[/color][/b][/i]

[size=4][b]So whats your list, what would you do? and be honest. lol.[/b][/size][/quote]

pooey on all that. By the time you worked your way through it, the family is dead. Empty the clip into 'em.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1668131' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:22 PM']pooey on all that. By the time you worked your way through it, the family is dead. Empty the clip into 'em.[/quote]

word homie, anyone runs up in the crib im blasten on'em....

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1667797' date='Oct 1 2008, 03:07 PM']They told us in law school that it's easier paying off the family of a dead person, than take care of the medical bills and life time care, and lost wages from someone you just maim. Yeah, that's right, if you shoot an intruder, they can sue you for damages you do to them, and sometimes win.[/quote]

I think this is only some jurisdictions, no? Us in Texas... well we can use deadly force for someone committing criminal mischief at night on our property.

The Church teaches that violence should be used as a last resort, but we are allowed to error on the side of caution when in an extreme situation.

By the way, a shotgun (both 12 or 20 guage) is an excellent lethal and non-lethal weapon to own. The ratchet on those suckers is quite unmistakable and gets the attention of any intruder very fast. And a warning shot is 100 times more alarming and unmistakable. Most people don't want to die as a result of their mischief, and pretty much every criminal knows that a shotgun is a sure and terrible way to die. And if you need to shoot, the spread on those things makes it difficult to miss. And if they get too close, it makes a great club. A loaded shotgun (safety on) inside a quick-combo gun safe makes for a fast and available solution for home protection.

And of course, you should take the appropriate training classes at your local gun dealer to make sure you know what you're doing.

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='rkwright' post='1668216' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:53 PM']I think this is only some jurisdictions, no? Us in Texas... well we can use deadly force for someone committing criminal mischief at night on our property.[/quote]

Civil law and criminal law are different matters.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1668270' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:30 AM']Civil law and criminal law are different matters.[/quote]

Some jurisdictions don't recognize a civil cause of action on these matters, at least I think - thats why I was asking Catherine.

princessgianna

One of the primary jobs as a the Father and the Mother is to protect their children
The Father protects the family and the Mother protects the children. And if that means killing or hurting a guy who was sexually assaulting their daughter to protect her and the family then i say that is a pretty simple answer!

It often is the case that where something is allowed criminally, doesn't mean you are insulated from law suit. There are cops that have shot people, had it been deemed to be a good shoot, returned to work, and got sued, and some lose. Juries will ask why they didn't shoot to wound, and don't accept the answer that cops aren't taught to shoot to wound, and that it isn't as easy as it sounds anyway.

Had a client once who owned a car junk yard. Someone climbed the fence, got hurt on the barb wire, fell, then got bit by the guard dog. He sued and won. I tried to talk him into letting me try it for him in district court, but the thief had sued him in small claims, and the guy didn't want to pay any legal fees, so he got hit with 5 grand in judgment instead for lost wages. This was before a judge who gave a thief lost wages. I think the salvage yard owner got nasty with the judge about the absurdity of it all, so the judge slammed him.

My personal favorite has always been softball bat, followed by shotgun with birdshot. Won't kill them, but they are easy to arrest when they go to the emergency room to get all those little balls removed from their butt. My grandfather used it many times.

HisChildForever

Sorry if I am repeating anything -

Anyway, I'm a Criminal Justice minor and in one of my classes thus far, I've learned that if someone breaks into your house and you have at least one escape route, you are expected to take that route. If you attack the person before they attack you, it's illegal.

If you have escape routes, you are - under penalty of law - not allowed to strike the intruder.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1668354' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:19 AM']Sorry if I am repeating anything -

Anyway, I'm a Criminal Justice minor and in one of my classes thus far, I've learned that if someone breaks into your house and you have at least one escape route, you are expected to take that route. If you attack the person before they attack you, it's illegal.

If you have escape routes, you are - under penalty of law - not allowed to strike the intruder.[/quote]

This varies from state to state. In Oregon, for instance, you don't need to retreat, but you can't pursue.