An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lethal Self Defense, What Is Your Stance On This Issue?

White Knight

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1668354' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:19 AM']Sorry if I am repeating anything -

Anyway, I'm a Criminal Justice minor and in one of my classes thus far, I've learned that if someone breaks into your house and you have at least one escape route, you are expected to take that route. If you attack the person before they attack you, it's illegal.

If you have escape routes, you are - under penalty of law - not allowed to strike the intruder.[/quote]

This varies from state to state. In Oregon, for instance, you don't need to retreat, but you can't pursue.

dominicansoul

If someone broke into my house at night, and wanted to attack only me...I would probably die of fright.

But if someone went after my loved ones, I'm pretty sure I would be able to kill them with my bare hands. Mess with me, you've got me, but mess with my family...after I'm through with you, the coroner would have to look deep into your bum to find your face...

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1668364' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:35 AM']This varies from state to state. In Oregon, for instance, you don't need to retreat, but you can't pursue.[/quote]

Same in Texas.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1668387' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:57 AM']Same in Texas.[/quote]

But in Oregon, you can only respond with force equal to the threat.

In Florida you're now allowed to use lethal force to protect yourself even if you aren't at home. AAA actually put a travel advisory out when the law passed a couple of years ago because if you get into a fight with someone in a bar in Florida, they can kill you and not stand trial. You're family could sue them for damages, but they wouldn't go to jail. There is not requirement to retreat if you feel threatened.

Since there are many of us phatmassers in Texas...

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code 83.001 says...

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Also in Texas, there is no requirement that the force be equal in order to use deadly force. Its all in Chp. 9 of the penal code if anyone is interested. Its a little shocking to see all the times you can shoot someone in Texas.

Edit: As Catherine said, the same applies in Texas. If you have a legal right to be there (on a street corner) and someone threatens with deadly force you, you can use deadly force.

Edited by rkwright

[quote name='rkwright' post='1668393' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:07 AM']Since there are many of us phatmassers in Texas...

Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code 83.001 says...

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as applicable.

Also in Texas, there is no requirement that the force be equal in order to use deadly force. Its all in Chp. 9 of the penal code if anyone is interested. Its a little shocking to see all the times you can shoot someone in Texas.

Edit: As Catherine said, the same applies in Texas. If you have a legal right to be there (on a street corner) and someone threatens with deadly force you, you can use deadly force.[/quote]

Yeah, they call it the "Castle Law" here. That means if a potentially violent enemy is found within your "Castle Walls" you have the right to "secure your territory" by any means available. Again a another example of why you don't want to "Mess with Texas."

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='White Knight' post='1666968' date='Sep 30 2008, 02:00 PM'][color="#008000"][b][url="http://Indiana%20Father%20Kills%20Sex%20Offender%20Who%20Broke%20Into%20Home"]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,429503,00.html[/url][/b][/color]

[color="#0000FF"][i][/i][/color]

So I hope most of us can agree that self defense is a good and honorable thing, especially if you have to protect yourself or others.

[size=4][color="#FF0000"][b]So what if you were to have someone break into your home, what personal methods would you use to stop the intruder? Post your comments and list why and what you would use to stop an intruder. Thanks. :cool:[/b][/color][/size]

[i][b][color="#FF0000"]My List in order would be.

1) Make sure everyone is alright, and call the police, using the lan line or a cell phone.
2) Not knowing how well armed the intruder may be, I'd arm myself immediately.
3) Stay in one place and wait for him/her to come to me before attacking. to legitimize SD claim
4) Depending on observation of the situtation within the moment, I'd use my best judgement on what form of self defense to take course on, if they weren't armed, I wouldn't kill them, wounding them would be more reasonable and to put your claims in favor that they were self defense, however, if this intruder were armed with a gun, I probally would do what would have to be done, and thats take the life, for the overall safey of myself or others within a house hold.[/color][/b][/i]

[size=4][b]So whats your list, what would you do? and be honest. lol.[/b][/size][/quote]
Shoot first, ask questions later. (Especially if it seems likely the intruder means harm to me or loved ones, as in the scenario given)
I keep a 12-gauge on hand.

Honestly, your list is totally unrealistic, as in real life, the attacker probably won't give you the luxury of so much time to assess the situation. If you "stay in one place and wait for him/her to come to you" you're likely already dead meat.
Never carry a firearm unless you're prepared to actually use it.

Better to risk a dead scumbag, than your own life, or that of your daughter, wife, girlfriend, etc.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1668801' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:04 PM']Yeah, they call it the "Castle Law" here. That means if a potentially violent enemy is found within your "Castle Walls" you have the right to "secure your territory" by any means available. Again a another example of why you don't want to "Mess with Texas."[/quote]
God bless Texas!

I'm a real coward; but 3 years ago, when a pit-bull attacked my cat, I raced up to it with no thoughts about my own safety!I've been told it was an really stupid thing to do,) but anyway, the cat was saved!
Now, if that had been one of my children, I would have killed the mutt with my bare hands!!
sO MY RESPONSE HERE WOULD BE:Stuff any and all legislation; I defend those who depend on me!

(Please don't start the pro-life argument; I'm still struggling with that!)

Since there are so many people here who are familiar with law, could someone please point me in the direction of Illinois law on this issue?

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1673658' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:25 PM']Since there are so many people here who are familiar with law, could someone please point me in the direction of Illinois law on this issue?[/quote]

Illinois law (on almost any issue) often appears to be summed up as:

"Unless connected with Daley, Blago, or Obama, abandon ye all hope".

However, there was a law passed in the past two years that states you cannot be charged under a local anti-handgun ordinance if you defend yourself in your home with an "illegal" handgun. This was in response to someone in the suburb of Wilmette who did just that and ended up being charged under the local handgun ban.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1667797' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:07 PM']They told us in law school that it's easier paying off the family of a dead person, than take care of the medical bills and life time care, and lost wages from someone you just maim. Yeah, that's right, if you shoot an intruder, they can sue you for damages you do to them, and sometimes win.[/quote]
But in Texas, they can't make you pay.