An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where The Jetsons Would Worship

mortify

I find this type of architecture absolutely unappealing and totally unfitting for a Cathedral, but that's my opinion.

[img]http://static.flickr.com/147/397461494_a919d5c9e0.jpg[/img]

[quote]If the Jetsons were Catholic, they would worship here.

Behold a 21st-century sanctuary, the Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland. Here sacred candleholders are bead-blasted to a heavenly sheen; holy texts are illuminated in stainless steel and embedded in resin compounds in the concrete flooring; and the focal point — a massive image of Christ himself — is formed by a custom-designed computer algorithm, with precision laser-drilled perforations in dozens of aluminum panels, shaping the hallowed figure in tiny points of light.[/quote]

Read more [url="http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_10532925"][u][b]here[/b][/u][/url]

[img]http://www.metropolismag.com/images/images_0601/cal/i.jpg[/img]

I have no problem with this.
The orginal churches were built with VERY modern archictecture for the time. Infact, things like flying buttresses were invented just for churches, but made there way to castles and other things.

They wanted to do the same thing. Let in the light! Why do people see modern architechure as such a horrible thing when once those who built churches were scandousoly new?

It seems so empty to me... basically a glass and steal structure, barely any sign Catholicity. I am body and spirit and so I can't rely on my own interior disposition, I want the worship I engage in to smother me with the Divine and Catholicism. I want the structure facing east, the pews facing the altar, the altar against the wall with the Tabernacle prominently displayed, six lit candles, the overwhelming aroma of incense, statues that make Protestant's shudder, and paintings that orient my mind towards heavenly things. Sorry, but this "thing" they spent hundreds of millions of dollars on doesn't cut it.

Just my opinion.

Looks beautiful, especially with the beautiful California sunshine streaming in. Reminds me of the crystal cathedral that Schuler has. My parish looks like a gym, chairs, no kneelers, no stained glass, the Blessed Sacrament is not even kept in the tabernacle in the church, but in a side room. Yucko.
I go, not for the look of the place, I go for what I find there, and more importantly WHO.

Brother Adam

The architecture betrays the liturgy and is created in disdain to everything the Magisterium, Holy Father, and faithful scholars have written about it in the last 40 years.

If I did not know who built the church in question and asked questions about their theology, I would first say that the community is the center of their worship and not Christ. I would then say that they have a very low christology with an absence of attention to iconography. On the same vein I would say they are iconoclastic and deny the communion of the saints. I also see no stations of the cross so would conclude it is not Catholic. I would also say that they are clearly ignoring Sacrosanctum Concilium that the church should reflect our theology that we believe the Mass is a foretaste of heaven. Even the Jewish people knew their worship was a such and filled their temple with creation images. It also says a lot about their belief of God's majesty to have such an empty and bland church.

Edited by Brother Adam

icelandic_iceskater

if I attended mass there, I would probably be blinded by all that white. I I'd have a hard time focusing. It is impressive architecture though. :)

Coming from a guy who has read (and thoroughly enjoyed) the books [i]Ugly As Sin[/i] and [i]Spirit of the Liturgy[/i]:

There are three laws to Catholic architecture:

Permanence
Verticality
Iconography

Looks like they have the first two down; hopefully the last one will be revealed by interior decorations.

I think that the space looks beautiful. Nevertheless, it does indeed bow to the document issued by the USCCB in the early 90's that is responsible for the modernization of U.S. Church architecture. One notices design choices (such as Mass in the round) that reflect an ideology that puts the Body of Christ as present in the People above the Body of Christ as present in the Eucharist.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1667200' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:06 PM']The architecture betrays the liturgy and is created in disdain to everything the Magisterium, Holy Father, and faithful scholars have written about it in the last 40 years.

If I did not know who built the church in question and asked questions about their theology, I would first say that the community is the center of their worship and not Christ. I would then say that they have a very low christology with an absence of attention to iconography. On the same vein I would say they are iconoclastic and deny the communion of the saints. I also see no stations of the cross so would conclude it is not Catholic. I would also say that they are clearly ignoring Sacrosanctum Concilium that the church should reflect our theology that we believe the Mass is a foretaste of heaven. Even the Jewish people knew their worship was a such and filled their temple with creation images. It also says a lot about their belief of God's majesty to have such an empty and bland church.[/quote]

Interesting points as well.

geetarplayer

It looks much different in the video than it does in the pictures. Though the architecture is completely modern, the artwork and sculptures look like they will be modeled after much more traditional styles. I kind of like it.

Ash Wednesday

[img]http://www.alicia-logic.com/capsimages01/tns_014TheNeverEndingStory.jpg[/img]

[img]http://laurajane.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/emp1.jpg[/img]

Call my name! Bastian! Please! Save us!

[url="http://www.sacred-destinations.com/italy/vatican-sistine-chapel.htm"]Visit My Website[/url]

The beauty and lore of the Sistine Chapel is unmatched in both ancient and modern times
It is more than the sum of its artistic wonders: it is a symbolic statement

The chapel itself is of no great architectural interest. It is shaped as a simple rectangule, 40.93 meters long by 13.41 meters wide. These are the exact dimensions of the Temple of Solomon as given in the Old Testament. The chapel is 20.70 meters high and roofed with a flattened barrel vault. There are six tall windows cut into the long sides, forming a series of pendentives between them.

The walls are decorated with frescoes by Renaissance masters and are divided into three horizontal levels.

By comparison, The Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland on the other hand is a hideous monstrosity, glorifying nothing.