An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where The Jetsons Would Worship

mortify

[quote name='Sarah_JC' post='1668453' date='Oct 2 2008, 11:53 AM']Similarly, a well built cathedral can last longer than a slapped-together church. I feel more welcome in a beautiful church than one that looks like someone's rec room.[/quote]

Yep.

I mean, another thing is that this is not meant to be just for Catholic Masses. When I read the article, it said they were having inter-faith services.

No, it isn't a traditional Church. But it is very pretty.

Can I also point out that several people in here are complaining that there is too much money being spent, but the same people would be using this : :clap: if it was a "traditional" building?

If the vatican approves it for Mass, who are we to say otherwise.

This may surprise some of you, but we don't all need to be in a place that is traditional to be reverent and holy. In fact, I would dare say that there are people who exist (this may surprise you) that find places like this MORE reverent and holy than traditional Churches.

[quote name='prose' post='1668463' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:18 PM']If the vatican approves it for Mass, who are we to say otherwise.[/quote]

Does the Vatican show approval? Even if it does, it doesn't mean I can't personally disagree.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668647' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:08 PM']I think if someone said to Pope Benedict, 'Do you like our design?' he would throw up a little.[/quote]

A LOT a little. Apparently California didn't get the memo that the current pope published a book a few years back specifically describing how a Church should be designed (and it did not mention bread basket architecture or community circles).

You make me laugh. I like you. :)

[quote name='prose' post='1668463' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:18 PM']Yep.

I mean, another thing is that this is not meant to be just for Catholic Masses. When I read the article, it said they were having inter-faith services.

No, it isn't a traditional Church. But it is very pretty.

Can I also point out that several people in here are complaining that there is too much money being spent, but the same people would be using this : :clap: if it was a "traditional" building?

If the vatican approves it for Mass, who are we to say otherwise.

This may surprise some of you, but we don't all need to be in a place that is traditional to be reverent and holy. In fact, I would dare say that there are people who exist (this may surprise you) that find places like this MORE reverent and holy than traditional Churches.[/quote]

It is wrong to use a Cathedral for "inter-faith services" if those services include things directly contrary to Catholicism. I am assuming by "interfaith services" you mean protestant Christian services, which wouldn't really be inter-faith. If you do mean just prayer services to which everyone is invited, well, that means the Mass, too. Everyone's invited to the Mass. So technically ALL churches hold services which protestants can attend.

And we should NEVER NEVER NEVER compromise a single element of the faith (INCLUDING WORSHIP) in order to appease other religious groups. To compromise your faith for things like that is to lie. And yes, I am including the design of this cathedral in the category of "lies for the sake of compromise" IF the design was intended to be more welcoming to other faiths. I'm not really sure that was the intention, though.

Noel's angel

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1668651' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:12 AM']A LOT a little. Apparently California didn't get the memo that the current pope published a book a few years back specifically describing how a Church should be designed (and it did not mention bread basket architecture or community circles).

You make me laugh. I like you. :)[/quote]

:))

Thank you.

For some reason that David Bowie song "Space Oddity" popped into my head when I saw the pictures...

[i]Ground control to Major Tom...[/i]

Edited by lilac_angel

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1668657' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:17 PM']It is wrong to use a Cathedral for "inter-faith services" if those services include things directly contrary to Catholicism. I am assuming by "interfaith services" you mean protestant Christian services, which wouldn't really be inter-faith. If you do mean just prayer services to which everyone is invited, well, that means the Mass, too. Everyone's invited to the Mass. So technically ALL churches hold services which protestants can attend.[/quote]

I have no idea what their intentions are for the services. I was just stating that was what the article said. It is not my church, nor my design. I, personally, prefer more traditional structures, but I am not as opposed as everyone to other ones. To me, Mass is Mass, regardless of the structure surrounding it.

Some of the best masses I ever attended were in the parking lot after our church burned.

These days, any building is going to cost money, my main concern was about the continuing cost per month to the parish after that.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1668147' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:32 PM']The artwork is not superfluous, much of the building it is housed in is, and as to that I am in total agreament with you.

America does not pretend to place serving the poor and doing God's work as it's highest priority. We are a consumerist, capitalist nation and do not pretend to be anything but, it is at least less hypocritical.

Yes there is. Spending millions upon million to install marbel when wood will due while children are crying with hunger pains tonight is wicked and evil.

Pope John Paul II brough more people to God than any building will, he did not need disgusting wealth to do it.[/quote]
I'm definitely no fan of the design of this church, yet the oft-used "why can't the wealth used to build fancy churches instead be used to feed the poor?" argument is bogus.

The poor will not be fed by simply having money thrown at them, but by establishing just economic and political structures (often lacking in corrupt third-world dictatorships), and by actually working to help the people.
Besides, if the material used to build churches and other fine buildings were simply sold to "feed the poor," where would the poor be once the money from the sale is spent and gone?

The Catholic Church gives more in charity than any other religion, and America gives more than any other country.

I have yet to see one shred of evidence that people are better-fed in countries where all buildings are mud shacks . . .