An Old School Catholic Message Board

Beards

kafka

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1668287' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:25 AM']I'm swimming against the tide here but I'm clean shaven and like it that way. Beards ARE itchy, especially when they're growing out. Plus, I'm, ahem, old enough where a beard is going to make me look even older. Maybe when my hair is *all* white I'll go for it.[/quote]

My husband's has gone white, and the last time he went for his driver's license they put gray down as his hair color, and he blamed the beard. I think he's mad that I'm older than him and am not going gray except for my right eyebrow.

I'll take my man clean-shaven, thanks. My Dad likes to freak me out with his now white sandpaper stubble. That's enough to turn me off. :lol:

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1668687' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:48 PM']Occasionally my husband will try to go the weekend... he's clean shaven by Saturday evening. lol[/quote]
Not to put too fine a point on it but if I want any "cuddle time" with my wife, I must be clean shaven. That's a significant incentive.

I just saw a man with an unkempt beard walking down the street with an impossibly beautiful woman.

I think they were Middle Eastern

:ninja:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='kafka' post='1669329' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:40 PM']I just saw a man with an unkempt beard walking down the street with an impossibly beautiful woman.

I think they were Middle Eastern

:ninja:[/quote]
When my husband had a beard (which he kept well-groomed), we walked into a shop and an Middle Eastern man thought my husband was Middle Eastern. It was kinda funny.

Right after 9-11, my Godmother's youngest son (she was Mexican), got pulled over repeatedly by the local police thinking he was a middle-eastern terrorist. He told the cops that we wasn't a terrorist, just a common wet back. He very quickly shaved his beard. Normally Mexicans can't grow the same kind of beard as middle-eastern guys, but my Godfather was Criollo. That's White Mexican meaning he was primarily of Spanish descent, mostly Basque actually, so they could all grow thick beards unlike more indigenous Mexicans.

A lot of the seminarians I've known go through this phase where they grow beards...I think they were trying to look older, because now that they're priests, most of them are clean-shaven..

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1669336' date='Oct 3 2008, 03:54 PM']When my husband had a beard (which he kept well-groomed), we walked into a shop and an Middle Eastern man thought my husband was Middle Eastern. It was kinda funny.[/quote]
I was at a gas station once, and the attendant filling my tank asked me if I am Muslim. I said no and asked why he asked, and he said it was because of my beard, he thought maybe I am Muslim.

I should have said "Catholics were wearing beards 600 years before Muslims!" :lol: