An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vp Debate Fairness

Mercy me

Of course, the media is fair and unbiased. That is what they tell us. So, we should trust Gwen Ifill who is about to release a new pro-Obama book? She is about to moderate the vice presidential debate that will undoubtably be crucial in this election. And now we find out that she has a book scheduled to be released right before the inauguration of the next president. At the very least means that she has a vested interest in Obama winning. This is the Amazon blurb:
[quote]In THE BREAKTHROUGH, veteran journalist Gwen Ifill surveys the American political landscape, shedding new light on the impact of Barack Obama’s stunning presidential campaign and introducing the emerging young African American politicians forging a bold new path to political power.

Ifill argues that the Black political structure formed during the Civil Rights movement is giving way to a generation of men and women who are the direct beneficiaries of the struggles of the 1960s. She offers incisive, detailed profiles of such prominent leaders as Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick, and U.S. Congressman Artur Davis of Alabama, and also covers up-and-coming figures from across the nation. Drawing on interviews with power brokers like Senator Obama, former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Vernon Jordan, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, and many others, as well as her own razor-sharp observations and analysis of such issues as generational conflict and the "black enough" conundrum, Ifill shows why this is a pivotal moment in American history.

THE BREAKTHROUGH is a remarkable look at contemporary politics and an essential foundation for understanding the future of American democracy.[/quote]

This is ridiculous!

kenrockthefirst

People, can we talk about the real issue here? You could have Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly moderate these debates but that wouldn't disguise the fact McCain is a terrible candidate without core convictions other than that he was a POW 40 years ago and who has no new ideas for the problems we face in the 21st century, and - if I may be permitted to mix metaphors - Palin is a lightweight embarrassingly out of her depth.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1667547' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:39 AM']People, can we talk about the real issue here? You could have Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly moderate these debates but that wouldn't disguise the fact McCain is a terrible candidate without core convictions other than that he was a POW 40 years ago and who has no new ideas for the problems we face in the 21st century, and - if I may be permitted to mix metaphors - Palin is a lightweight embarrassingly out of her depth.[/quote]

The real issue is the Abortion issue.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1667547' date='Oct 1 2008, 07:39 AM']People, can we talk about the real issue here? You could have Sean Hannity or Bill O'Reilly moderate these debates but that wouldn't disguise the fact McCain is a terrible candidate without core convictions other than that he was a POW 40 years ago and who has no new ideas for the problems we face in the 21st century, and - if I may be permitted to mix metaphors - Palin is a lightweight embarrassingly out of her depth.[/quote]

Crank up the hate for McCain, put the mute on for Obama.

=====

[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122281636354892281.html"]Palin Proved to Be FormidableFoe in Alaska Debates[/url]

dairygirl4u2c

all the articles i read about her, including that one, about her former debating skills, suggests that she was merely good at style. to prove herself given the media spectacles she's been making of herself, she's going to need substance. or else she'll rightly appear artificial.
if she's into the put downs etc that she seemed to be into before, in the presidential race, that could make her just seem juvenile. like people already tend to think of her as. put downs etc won't work as easy as the US isn't clearly a red or blue state like alaska is red. you like it when your candidate does that, but not when someone you're unsure of does it, if theydon't have anything else to offer.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]September 30, 2008...8:10 pm
Newsweek Reporter: “Sarah Palin Is Not Very Bright”

Cenk Uygur, from The Young Turks, Interviews Newsweek Reporter Michael Hirsh on Sarah Palin. They talk about “her knowledge runs about a millimeter deep” because she seems to have never thought about any important issue ever.[/quote]

[url="http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/newsweek-reporter-%E2%80%9Csarah-palin-is-not-very-bright%E2%80%9D/"]http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/2008/09/30/news...right%E2%80%9D/[/url]

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667557' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:56 AM']The real issue is the Abortion issue.[/quote]
"Without core convictions." McCain's playing pro-life voters like a fiddle.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1667565' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:15 AM']Crank up the hate for McCain, put the mute on for Obama.

=====

[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122281636354892281.html"]Palin Proved to Be FormidableFoe in Alaska Debates[/url][/quote]
In the words of Chico Mark from "Duck Soup," "who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?" Watch Palin's interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric. Embarrassingly out of her depth. I was embarrassed for her.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1667576' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:50 AM']"Without core convictions." McCain's playing pro-life voters like a fiddle.

In the words of Chico Mark from "Duck Soup," "who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes?" Watch Palin's interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric. Embarrassingly out of her depth. I was embarrassed for her.[/quote]

Playing pro-lifers like a fiddle? How can you be so sure? The one thing we are absolutely sure of is Obama's determination to ensure a woman's right to slaughter her child! I can respect your not wanting to vote for McCain, but I would re-consider, seeing that if McCain doesn't win, pro-lifers will be more than just "played like a fiddle..." pro-lifers and unborn children and children that survive Abortions will be totally screwed!

I can think of more embarrassing moments so far in this campaign...most of them from Obama...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667580' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:55 AM']Playing pro-lifers like a fiddle? How can you be so sure? The one thing we are absolutely sure of is Obama's determination to ensure a woman's right to slaughter her child! I can respect your not wanting to vote for McCain, but I would re-consider, seeing that if McCain doesn't win, pro-lifers will be more than just "played like a fiddle..." pro-lifers and unborn children and children that survive Abortions will be totally screwed!

I can think of more embarrassing moments so far in this campaign...most of them from Obama...[/quote]
I am absolutely committed to voting pro-life. There were real pro-life candidates out there, notably Ron Paul and Sam Brownback. Unfortunately, they're no longer candidates. McCain is just another politician, IMHO, who will say or do whatever he needs in order to be elected, e.g. before he was for the Bush tax cuts he was against them; before he supported torture he was against it; before he was for offshore drilling he was against it. I think that he'll kick pro-life voters to the curb as soon as he's elected -- it just isn't what he's about.

As for Palin, she just isn't ready for prime time, period. There's simply no way that she's ready to step up and be president should the need arise.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1667610' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:42 AM']I am absolutely committed to voting pro-life. There were real pro-life candidates out there, notably Ron Paul and Sam Brownback. Unfortunately, they're no longer candidates. McCain is just another politician, IMHO, who will say or do whatever he needs in order to be elected, e.g. before he was for the Bush tax cuts he was against them; before he supported torture he was against it; before he was for offshore drilling he was against it. I think that he'll kick pro-life voters to the curb as soon as he's elected -- it just isn't what he's about.

As for Palin, she just isn't ready for prime time, period. There's simply no way that she's ready to step up and be president should the need arise.[/quote]

I know he's less than perfect, but are you willing to risk your vote? Obama will win for sure if devoted Pro-lifers don't vote against him!

I don't know if McCain will just knock pro-lifers to the curb. He chose an extremely pro-life VP. That says something to me...!

As far as her not being ready for prime-time...you base this on her interviews? You do know that she was nervous during these interviews? You do know that she was facing off with enemies, with people who HATE her? These "journalist" could make most anybody squeamish with their style of questioning...they shoulda just had her in an interogation cell with the bright lights shining on her...

...I think I would have reacted in very much the same way...

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667614' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:59 AM']As far as her not being ready for prime-time...you base this on her interviews? You do know that she was nervous during these interviews? You do know that she was facing off with enemies, with people who HATE her? These "journalist" could make most anybody squeamish with their style of questioning...they shoulda just had her in an interogation cell with the bright lights shining on her...

...I think I would have reacted in very much the same way...[/quote]
That may very well be, and that's my point. Hugo Chavez, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Vladimir Putin, Hu Jintao, etc., are not going to "play nice" because Sarah Palin is nervous. They'll eat her for breakfast. If she can't handle an interview or a debate, how is she going to handle an international crisis?

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1667616' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:03 AM']That may very well be, and that's my point. Hugo Chavez, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Vladimir Putin, Hu Jintao, etc., are not going to "play nice" because Sarah Palin is nervous. They'll eat her for breakfast. If she can't handle an interview or a debate, how is she going to handle an international crisis?[/quote]

These guys meet with the VP? Since when has Chavez sat down with Cheney?

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1667622' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:07 AM']These guys meet with the VP? Since when has Chavez sat down with Cheney?[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]Yes. Cheney has expanded the scope and power of the VP's office considerably.
[*]I'm talking about the not unlikely possibility, given McCain's age and history of skin cancer, that Palin might be called upon to act as or even *be* president.
[/list]