An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I No Longer Have Wisdom

the_rev

HisChildForever

I just found out last week that I have one impacted and infected wisdom tooth (the others could be impacted for all I know, too). I go for my consultation on Friday. I've never had an operation like this before. :sadder: I've never had an operation ever!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1667673' date='Oct 1 2008, 05:14 PM']My wisdom teeth were horizontal and compacted, so I was sent to hospital, where I had a general anaesthetic and knew absolutely nothing of the whole thing.

I took a maths text book in with me. I guess was expecting to be bored or something :topsy:

Afterwards it was just numb and a bit tender rather than sore or in pain. I had no painkillers, only a rinse and gargle with warm salty water a few times a day. And I was on "soft foods" for the better part of a week. Getting over the anaesthetic was the most amusing part![/quote]
Hey, I had mine out in hospital, too, under a general anaesthetic. They gave me morphine when I woke up. So, between that and the sodium pentathol they used to knock me out, I wasn't with it for a long time. :mellow:

My little brother was really sweet to me and brought me cereal, which I was unable to eat because it was something crunchy (probably Apple Jacks or Froot Loops). But it was sweet, nonetheless. Besides, he was only like 2 or 3 at the time.

Anyway, I looked like a chipmunk for at least a week, but didn't have to be on painkillers for too long.

[quote name='ThatOneGirl9' post='1667647' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:46 AM']I cried at the nurse right afterwords that I thought I lost my flute embuchure, she couldn't understand me with my face stuffed with the cotton, so she had me write down what I was crying about! :P[/quote]

LOL!! YAY Another flute player. I was afraid of this going into the surgery but my teacher said I should be fine after a couple of practicing sessions. Alls good.

They had to slice and dice mine to get them out. They were coming in sideways, upways and all over the place. It was pretty cool. I have them somwhere on my dresser. It is neat to see the inside of the tooth.

Meg

I went golfing a few hours after having my wisdom teeth removed. The novocaine was still working so I felt fine. Bad idea. I couldn't wait to get home to take the pain relievers that the dentist had prescribed.

ThatOneGirl9

[quote name='picchick' post='1667734' date='Oct 1 2008, 02:03 PM']LOL!! YAY Another flute player. I was afraid of this going into the surgery but my teacher said I should be fine after a couple of practicing sessions. Alls good.

They had to slice and dice mine to get them out. They were coming in sideways, upways and all over the place. It was pretty cool. I have them somwhere on my dresser. It is neat to see the inside of the tooth.

Meg[/quote]

lol Meg

ThatOneGirl9

yeah, I have mine still, in a little zip-lock baggy in one of my drawers...
I actually felt pretty good after a few hours of sleep... I was even talking on the phone fine for a long time!

HisChildForever

Looking for advice -

I was thinking of getting my problematic tooth removed on a Friday morning. Would I be pretty much set for class on Monday?

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1667884' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:31 PM']I still have mine...[/quote]

I have mine too. I keep them in a little manila envelope in my desk drawer.

Noel's angel

I would have thought the tooth fairy would give good money for wisdom teeth....
Thankfully, I have mine inside my mouth.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1667814' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:10 AM']Looking for advice -

I was thinking of getting my problematic tooth removed on a Friday morning. Would I be pretty much set for class on Monday?[/quote]

I would think you shold have no problem. But everyone reacts differently.
IN my case I had all teeth pulled and the swelling was gone in a few hours, in my sister's case she had dry-socket, and nausea and a host of problems.

Still. Everything considered I think if you went in On friday to days would be ample time to heal enough to go to class.

Dry sockets haven't devoleped yet, (at least I don't think they have) and I feel fine. When will I be out of the clear for dry sockets? I had the surgery tuesday at 2. Feeling great, taking pain killers at night to sleep well though.

I also kept mine. Someone told me that I should bury one at a holy site that way a part of me always remains and the saint will continually pray for me...