An Old School Catholic Message Board

Xlt Adoration

IrishSalesian

princessgianna

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1667911' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:41 PM']Anyone know what it is?[/quote]
yes!

Edited by princessgianna

princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1667918' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:53 PM']yes![/quote]
i guess you want to know what it is :P

Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation.

Edited by aalpha1989

princessgianna

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667920' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:54 PM']Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation.[/quote]
xlt means exalt and it is Adoration mainly for teens and youth group!

i agree with aalpha1989 i like the more personal and quiet adoration but it is kind of cool!

I don't know about websites... it's not that difficult to explain, though.

Basically (in my experience) the youth just go into a chapel and kneel down as the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. There can be short periods of silence for individual prayers. Most of the time, though, is spent with praise and worship music. The youth are free to sit, stand, kneel, pray the rosary, sing the p&w song, or whatever.

It is not a bad way to pray, but I personally need it to be more quiet. It is very hard for me to focus with the music there, and although the music is good, I find it to be a bit of a shallow way to pray. It is certainly only a first step into something deeper. I don't mean that all music is that way, only praise and worship in its very nature (most praise and worship advocates would say that it's an extremely deep way to pray, but most who say that are also pretty dependant on their emotions and think that the depth of their emotions= the depth of their prayer).

I'm not trying to be judgmental, only telling of my experience after having prayed at many xlt's and having talked to people who rely on praise and worship to pray. It is definitely possible to pray praise and worship without being relient on it, but a lot of teens are.

I went to one in Atlanta. We never did it at our Lifeteen because we tend towards a [u]much[/u] lower key adoration.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1667920' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:54 PM']Yeah. I kinda prefer more personal, quiet adoration. It is more condusive to interior prayer and meditation.[/quote]

[quote name='Majella' post='1668246' date='Oct 2 2008, 03:56 AM']Absolutely!!!!!![/quote]

I understand that many of you do enjoy quiet time rather than praise and worship. But, I am not asking for personal opinions. I have been put in charge of this new program at the parish that The Salesians have been entrusted with. All i am doing is looking for sources. Not opinions. Thank you.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1668261' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:38 AM']I understand that many of you do enjoy quiet time rather than praise and worship. But, I am not asking for personal opinions. I have been put in charge of this new program at the parish that The Salesians have been entrusted with. All i am doing is looking for sources. Not opinions. Thank you.[/quote]

The description above was spot on.

It is adoration associated with the Life teen program.

It is a lot like adoration, on a local/fewer people level, at Steubenville. Praise and Worship, contemporary Christian songs are sang. It is mostly advertised as being just for teens and young adults. You can kneel, stand, sit.... just get comfortable and pray anyway you like. The music does continue for the duration of the adoration time, stopping for short moments of silence and community prayer. I think this has a lot to do though with who is in charge of the planning it. Mostly it is known as adoration with contemporary songs and young people.

It is a huge thing in Atlanta. That is where it originated, I believe. It was implemented in my diocese a little over a year ago and more young people come to adoration then ever before and they come consistently. We had a weekly adoration before "XLT" for young people and we got about two or three young people. We have this XLT associated with Lifeteen and we have about 20 - 30 young people.

I won't give my opinion. :unsure:

LouisvilleFan

I've always wanted to attend an XLT. Just recently a couple parishes here started doing something similar, which they call Eucharistic Festival of Praise (abbreviated FOP). It seems to go by different names in different areas of the country. In Boston, they have LIFT, which Cardinal Sean talked about at the end of this [url="http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/2007/04/27/releasing-financial-reports-celebrating-confirmations-and-breaking-grounds/"]blog post[/url] (includes some cool pics too!).

Other than that, I don't know anything from personal experience, but the basic idea seems to be a praise-and-worship service + Adoration + cool abbreviated name for it = fun times with Jesus. :)

Personally, I think it's a great idea with great potential, if it's implemented right. Times of silence can always be integrated into the night, which is commonly done at praise-and-worship services too. Giving young people a positive outlet for their energy can't be a bad thing, and probably helps strengthen their prayer during the simpler times of silence. But, then, that's just my opinion...

Edited by LouisvilleFan