An Old School Catholic Message Board

Xlt Adoration

IrishSalesian

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668297' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:39 AM']Sounds like a big old pile of junk to me. Adoration=silence.[/quote]

Since IrishSalesian stated earlier that he's looking for information rather than opinions, is there any reason why Adoration must be done in silence? Is that canon law?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668411' date='Oct 2 2008, 12:40 PM']Nope. :) I never said it was.[/quote]

Well, it's nice that so many people around here are quicker to get their two cents of opinion into a thread before taking the time to read the thread and find out what the original poster actually wants to hear. Seems to reflect the attitude of a certain class of proudly orthodox Catholics that I am finding myself increasingly wishing to distance myself from in favor of the moderates, who are much easier to get along with, and often are surprisingly open to Church teaching.

Now, having that off my chest :) I know someone who put on an XLT-like event recently, so I could get more info from them. Is there anything in particular you're looking for, Irish?

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Noel's angel

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1668530' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:52 PM']Well, it's nice that so many people around here are quicker to get their two cents of opinion into a thread before taking the time to read the thread and find out what the original poster actually wants to hear. Seems to reflect the attitude of a certain class of proudly orthodox Catholics that I am finding myself increasingly wishing to distance myself from in favor of the moderates, who are much easier to get along with, and often are surprisingly open to Church teaching.

Now, having that off my chest :) I know someone who put on an XLT-like event recently, so I could get more info from them. Is there anything in particular you're looking for, Irish?[/quote]

I had read the thread and that the op did not want opinions (seemingly directed towards those of us who had a negative view on such things), but I am entitled to give my opinion regardless. If he wants to ignore it, that's fine with me.

I should add that, where we are, it is generally young adults, extremely reverent, and I love it.

Here, they set it up with about 4-5 songs of adoration, then exposition, then silent reflection, the a priest or deacon does a talk, then more silence and adoration, then 2-3 songs, then a wrap up.

Edited by prose

Noel's angel

[img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iEMr-QzWfI8/SHJjRtzO7bI/AAAAAAAAAIY/LudByzYarDs/XLT_21.JPG[/img]
There we go....adding a little more than opinion this time. Here we see electric guitars, drums, a keyboard = unorthodox.

Maybe it isn't like this everywhere, but it's the only picture of one I could find in my search.

I have a question. Why is this for teens? Why is it geared towards getting young people to come to adoration. Is Christ's presence alone not enough to get people to go?

Edited by Noel's angel

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668297' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:39 AM']Sounds like a big old pile of junk to me. Adoration=silence.[/quote]

Adoration in silence is a fine option. We all have a our preferences. Let me tell you from experience silence is also great for sleep. (I am not proud if it.) Sometimes a bit of music is a great way to keep the focus directed as it should especially with people not accustomed to adoration.

It has been my experience that music is wonderful at adoration. Actually, when I think about it XLT really is the true praise and worship.

Hey it is a free country and I am sure IrishSalesian will not burst into flames if people give him their opinion on an online message board :) Here in Ohio they call it XLT, I didn't know they called it different things around the country. When I first heard of it I was confused by the use of just the letters. I kept trying to figure out what the X stood for etc.

They advertise it in our parish bulletin, it's a once a month event and happens at various parishes around the area, they switch the location every time. It seems to have a very positive effect on the youth, then again we have a very strong youth program anyway! The only problem I have noticed with it is that the one time it was held at our parish Matt Maher (I think it was him) came and "lead the worship" (IOW gave a concert) and they basically turned the altar area into his stage with the flashing lights and the special effects and everything like that. Seriously, just before the event began everyone was running around, freaking out trying to get the sound system and the lights arranged and basically acting like roadies preparing for a really hot show. Sorry but that smells of elderberries BIG TIME.

Never seen that. It is adoration and you are in the presence of God reverence is required. Even in Atlanta when the Blessed Sacrament was exposed it was a very reverent atmosphere.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668545' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:19 PM']I have a question. Why is this for teens? Why is it geared towards getting young people to come to adoration. Is Christ's presence alone not enough to get people to go?[/quote]

There are people of all ages who go to XLT... you would be surprised. However you are correct that it is geared toward young people. I think it is because even teenagers who are very good Christians are still very conscious of themselves. It's naturally a very self-absorbed stage in life and I don't mean in a selfish or necessarily sinful way. It certainly was for me, too! But when you are dealing with teens who are quite naturally very wrapped up in being teens the theory is that you have to design specially events "for the kids" with various features specially designed to attract their attention.

Maybe they are right, although this has been the dominant paradigm in youth ministry for a long time and I wonder if anyone has [b]ever [/b]considered trying something different. But this situation changes as people mature, grow up and start to expand their vision beyond themselves and the people who are plus or minus 5 years of their age. When people get married and have kids, for instance, they move out of the LifeTeen Mass Ghetto and into fuller life at the parish. Because their kids have to go to CCD, maybe they sing in the children's choir at the 9 am Mass, the parents want to join groups for adults like the womens or mens club, etc.

Edited by Maggie

the lords sheep

I've had a lot of good experience with XLT. Each group runs it differently. Some do entire hours of adoration. Some do a sort reflection followed by 45 minutes of adoration. Each group mixes silence and song differently.
When I led it at my university, we did a nice mix of song and silence. We really sought to lead people deeply into prayer through song, and then would give them some silence, some space where they could just sit with our Lord and speak with Him, and let Him speak to their hearts.
It was a very effective ministry tool, because music works differently in everyone's hearts. Some people liked to sing, others just to listen, but either way, most were experiencing God's grace in a new way. Many students came for the music; they had never been to adoration, nor really even knew what it was. We would have a touch of catechesis in the beginning (ie "Remember that we are truly in the Lord's presence. Tonight we adore our Lord in the Eucharist, where he is present body, blood, soul and divinity) and then we would touch base with the people that were knew to answer any questions/help them continue to deepen spiritually after this initial experience. It was really great.
If you need any recommendations, feel free to PM me. Also, look on Lifeteen's website, as I think you can stream some of the xlt's. You should also check out Catholic Underground in NYC (and I think there is one in Jersey...) led by the CFRs if you are anywhere in the neighborhood. They do a very beautiful, reverent adoration which is a version of XLT.
God Bless!
Lauren

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1668549' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:35 PM']Never seen that. It is adoration and you are in the presence of God reverence is required. Even in Atlanta when the Blessed Sacrament was exposed it was a very reverent atmosphere.[/quote]

Well, it was before the event started so Jesus was not exposed, it was prep and I guess people can be forgiven for stressing out! But I was just bothered by the attitude. I wanted to say "Jesus will not mind if you can't get the sound system fixed."

Noel's angel

I would be just as worried by the fact that they turned the sanctuary into a stage, whether the Blessed Sacrament was exposed, or not. If we lose sense of the altar as a place of sacrifice, we lose all sense of our Catholic faith.
It annoys me when people stand in front of the altar, as if they are on stage. Viewing the altar as nothing but a 'table', is a very Protestant thing to do. It's things like that that need to be eradicated from our Church. Maybe I could stomach this sort of thing if it was set up differently, but so much emphasis is on the music and the musicians, to the detriment of the sacredness of the place they are playing in, I just can't deal with it.

Things like this just seem like a gimmick to get people to come to Adoration.

Edited by Noel's angel