An Old School Catholic Message Board

Xlt Adoration

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668545' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:19 PM'][img]http://lh3.ggpht.com/_iEMr-QzWfI8/SHJjRtzO7bI/AAAAAAAAAIY/LudByzYarDs/XLT_21.JPG[/img]
There we go....adding a little more than opinion this time. Here we see electric guitars, drums, a keyboard = unorthodox.

Maybe it isn't like this everywhere, but it's the only picture of one I could find in my search.

I have a question. Why is this for teens? Why is it geared towards getting young people to come to adoration. Is Christ's presence alone not enough to get people to go?[/quote]

Electric guitars, drums, and keyboards are not unorthodox when used out of the context of the Mass. I don't think they are very appropriate for adoration, either, but there are no strict regulations about it, so basically all we can say is our opinion (Or personal theological speculation if you like that wording better). People who do conduct XLT adorations are promoting a very very very shallow way of praying (in my opinion), but they are not violating any duty of obedience.

[quote name='Maggie' post='1668548' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:28 PM']Hey it is a free country and I am sure IrishSalesian will not burst into flames if people give him their opinion on an online message board :) Here in Ohio they call it XLT, I didn't know they called it different things around the country. When I first heard of it I was confused by the use of just the letters. I kept trying to figure out what the X stood for etc.

They advertise it in our parish bulletin, it's a once a month event and happens at various parishes around the area, they switch the location every time. It seems to have a very positive effect on the youth, then again we have a very strong youth program anyway! The only problem I have noticed with it is that the one time it was held at our parish Matt Maher (I think it was him) came and "lead the worship" (IOW gave a concert) and they basically turned the altar area into his stage with the flashing lights and the special effects and everything like that. Seriously, just before the event began everyone was running around, freaking out trying to get the sound system and the lights arranged and basically acting like roadies preparing for a really hot show. Sorry but that smells of elderberries BIG TIME.[/quote]

I went to a Matt Maher XLT one time. It was EXACTLY like you described, and the Blessed Sacrament was exposed, and there were strobe lights and the sanctuary was a stage. Yep. Not cool. And the youth minister wonders why I have a problem with the way Maher conducts his "ministry" (of course that's just my own personal theological speculation, teehee).

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668558' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:49 PM']I would be just as worried by the fact that they turned the sanctuary into a stage, whether the Blessed Sacrament was exposed, or not. If we lose sense of the altar as a place of sacrifice, we lose all sense of our Catholic faith.
It annoys me when people stand in front of the altar, as if they are on stage. Viewing the altar as nothing but a 'table', is a very Protestant thing to do. It's things like that that need to be eradicated from our Church. Maybe I could stomach this sort of thing if it was set up differently, but so much emphasis is on the music and the musicians, to the detriment of the sacredness of the place they are playing in, I just can't deal with it.

Things like this just seem like a gimmick to get people to come to Adoration.[/quote]

Agreed.

Noel's angel

I would say that those instruments would be "out of harmony with the holiness the place" and therefore, forbidden. Secondly, the musicians should not be in the sanctuary.

Again, maybe if the set-up was different, with the musicians in a more suitable place, with instruments that reflected the sacredness of the time and place, I could understand it. But the set-up is all wrong.

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1668658' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:17 PM']I would say that those instruments would be "out of harmony with the holiness the place" and therefore, forbidden. Secondly, the musicians should not be in the sanctuary.

Again, maybe if the set-up was different, with the musicians in a more suitable place, with instruments that reflected the sacredness of the time and place, I could understand it. But the set-up is all wrong.[/quote]

I agree that the instruments are out of harmony, but has the Vatican ever regulated how people pray in front of the exposed Blessed Sacrament? I mean is there a document? If not, XLT aren't extremely culpable. I think?... Ok, well, they're not AS culpable as they would be if there was a document specifically regulating the instrumentation used in adoration. I don't think there is, and I don't really find it likely that one will be issued.

Noel's angel

Not to my knowledge, but surely people who take it upon themselves to organise things like this should do a bit of research, given the fact that they are doing these things in the True presence of Christ. They should be careful not to detract from Him in any way.
I think it's once again an issue of education. I see people using the sanctuary as a short-cut to get to the other side of the church, often failing to even acknowledge the presence of the altar or tabernacle. People need to know that there is a reason why we bow before the altar, otherwise they won't understand it's importance. They just don't know any better because no one has taught them what it's all about.

IrishSalesian

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1668530' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:52 PM']I know someone who put on an XLT-like event recently, so I could get more info from them. Is there anything in particular you're looking for, Irish?[/quote]
I would say that I am just looking for some info on how it is conducted.

[quote name='prose' post='1668542' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:13 PM']yes.

This is the website for the one in our diocese:

[url="http://www.iamthird.ca"]http://www.iamthird.ca[/url][/quote]

Thank you!
[quote name='Maggie' post='1668548' date='Oct 2 2008, 06:28 PM']Hey it is a free country and I am sure IrishSalesian will not burst into flames if people give him their opinion on an online message board :)[/quote]
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am looking for information. No one here knows what my view on it. I could be all for it, or I could love the silence of Adoration. There is no right or wrong answer. You need to do what you need to do to feel fulfilled. Whatever makes feel the presence of God I feel that, that is what you need to do. So if you feel Him in the silence, and if you feel His presence in the music with the Blessed Sacrament then do that. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1669175' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:12 AM']I would say that I am just looking for some info on how it is conducted.[/quote]

I finally got around to sending her an e-mail this morning, so I'll let you know if she gets back to me. There's a similar event happening at another local parish next month which I hope to attend. I hope it goes well. Sounds exciting!