An Old School Catholic Message Board

New American Bible Heretical?

MStar

[quote name='MStar' post='1669112' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:25 AM']But why would the Church recommend an official bible which contains incorrect viewpoints (even if it's not explicitly against the Church).[/quote]

It reveals something about those in charge, doesn't it?

[quote]I'm just frustrated and confused by what appears to be lack of care on behalf of the bishops and/or priests. If their official bible has bad footnotes, they should hire someone to create good ones, or something along those lines, to guide Catholics in studying the bible. Catholics should feel comfortable reading the bibles their bishops recommend, and I wouldn't feel comfortable recomending someone with no biblical knowledge to the NAB. I don't even like to read it, esp. the more these things are pointed out to me. :s[/quote]

Textual critical notes are useful, I just don't think they belong with the NAB. Perhaps if they were sold separately it wouldn't make it as bad.

There are many old commentaries you can download as pdf files. Google [b]Cornelius A Lapide[/b], you should be able to download his Great Commentary.

Madame Vengier

Most of the translations after the Vulgate are a mess. When I was a new Catholic years ago I was constantly coming across the most ridiculous translations--including one for "the youth" that was just atrocious. Someone eventually gave me a copy of the Douay-Rheims and I just loved it. Shortly after that Ignatious Press came out with the "Ignatius" Bible which is considered the best English translation that is a "simplified" form of the DR. Now that's the one I have used for years. I use that one for regular reading and I use my DR for a more intensive study.

I love the footnotes on the new Ignatius study bible by Scott Hahn. I especially like how he references back to the OT. Very helpful when I'm working on Theology papers, and can't remember where I read something.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1669572' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:39 PM']Most of the translations after the Vulgate are a mess. When I was a new Catholic years ago I was constantly coming across the most ridiculous translations--including one for "the youth" that was just atrocious. Someone eventually gave me a copy of the Douay-Rheims and I just loved it. Shortly after that Ignatious Press came out with the "Ignatius" Bible which is considered the best English translation that is a "simplified" form of the DR. Now that's the one I have used for years. I use that one for regular reading and I use my DR for a more intensive study.[/quote]

I'd always wondered if the Ignatius was worth it, thanks. :)

That's great, thank you guys for supplying me with so much information about it. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping for! Even though I still don't like the NAB <_<

I'll see if I can't get my hands on the DR or the NRSV or something, I'm glad to have other translations recommended!

:)

The four "best" bibles on the market (imho):

Ignatius Study Bible (commentary is superb; the icons are especially helpful)
Navarre Bible (commentary is good; lots of thoughts shared by Church Fathers)
The New Catholic Answer Bible (NAB; with excellent apologetics inserts)
The Douay Rheims Haydock Bible (DR; with classic and beloved commentary)

I want to get an Ignatius Bible, preferably for Christmas. Mother Angelica and apologetics group Catholic Answers recommend it.

[quote name='Majella' post='1668245' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:53 AM']Stick to the Vulgate or the Douey Rheims Bible!
All the new translations are doubtful!!![/quote]

Thems are mine choices. haha