An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Nuns

VeniteAdoremus

VeniteAdoremus

You'll like the new [url="http://monialesop.blogspot.com/"]blog update[/url] Sr. Mary Catharine just posted :)

Summary:
[url="http://www.tonigreaves.com/stories/radicallove/index.html"]http://www.tonigreaves.com/stories/radicallove/index.html[/url]

And postulant Sr. Lauren will become novice Sr. Mary WeDon'tKnowYet on November 1st!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1668455' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:03 PM']it's fantastic soap...[/quote]

Verbum.

The soap is GREAT - lots of lather - but I really love the hand lotion and the lip balm. They're both the best I've ever tried.

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1668311' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:04 AM']Oh, and see the video on the photographer's web site ("Radical Love").[/quote]
A wonderful video. The photography and the audio are spectacular.

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Yes, Sister has been able to do a remarkable job of keeping all of us Phatmassers in the loop regarding her community. How very blessed they are to have such resources!

Prayers for Dominicans everywhere, following the rule of St. Augustine with grace and joy.

TradMom

DevotedtoHim

Hey Phamily!
I just watched this video and I thought it was really cool though it took forever for it download.
Am I wrong or is someone missing? Did she leave? I can't remember her name. I think it was like an Indian name or something. Are we not supposed to talk about that?
Peace,
Katherine

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

Yes, Katherine, she is gone because she left. The Church is very generous to those seeking religious life in granting them time, space and opportunity to delve into the seriousness of their calling and where they best belong!

For the sake of the young woman's privacy, I will not mention her name though I suppose the past blogs have her story and her name publicized. This is one of the reasons I spoke out recently against the publication of new members in religious communities. So much can happen, as I know from my own daughter's journey. She was mortified enough to return home, I cannot imagine how she would have felt had her story been made public to inquiring minds. Once someone has made first vows (or entered the community as a novice) it would be a different story. In the beginning, much can happen.

There is a great sense of failure when someone leaves a community, even if it is during that trial period, and though it is NOT a failure to leave (that is what the time is for - to learn, to interact, to decide) those thoughts do come to the surface. And since religious life is in no way like that of a destructive cult, people are not kept inside against their will! Another beautiful aspect. I mention this because while I don't believe anybody would say "we are not supposed to talk about that," using sensitivity and prudence in discussing this is most helpful as this is often a painful and tender time in someone's life. (Even if they have a new place to go!) It is a sting, to be sure.

This would be a good and appropriate time to mention my favorite subject, that of age restrictions. Many people seem to think that younger women are better suited for cloistered life and as a result, some communities have restricted all discussion and all possibility for women over a certain age (in some communities, as young as 25!) to even consider life within their community.

The young Sister who left Summit is in my prayers as is the community. I would suggest as we pray for both, we take pause and remember young women often leave (my daughter is an example, and other communities have a hard time in holding their vocations) and the reason many Vocation Directors give in defending their age restrictions ("too many women leave and it is too hard on the woman and the community") does not always hold true. How much kinder it would be to open the doors and allow a woman to try as opposed to turning her away.

Prayers for all,
TradMom

Edited by TradMom

Laudem Gloriae

Tradmom has a great point regarding. As I am an older vocation, what she says is true. A very wise and holy Poor Clare Colettine Mother Abbess told me while visiting her that just as many young women leave the monastery as young ones do and it has NOTHING to do with age! Orders who say this is talking rubbish she said. Her community has several women in the mid and later 40s and have younger ones too.

St. Francis de Sales said that communities that accept older women will be blessed by God with younger ones too. This just doesn't apply to the Visitation order either.

This is why I have told certain friends to NOT post my entrance notice on PM or elsewhere until I am either well into Temporary Profession or, preferably, Solemn Profession!

My prayers are with this young woman that she find the order for her or what God does truly want for her.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='TradMom' post='1672291' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:00 PM']+Praised be Jesus Christ!

This would be a good and appropriate time to mention my favorite subject, that of age restrictions. Many people seem to think that younger women are better suited for cloistered life and as a result, some communities have restricted all discussion and all possibility for women over a certain age (in some communities, as young as 25!) to even consider life within their community.

The young Sister who left Summit is in my prayers as is the community. I would suggest as we pray for both, we take pause and remember young women often leave (my daughter is an example, and other communities have a hard time in holding their vocations) and the reason many Vocation Directors give in defending their age restrictions ("too many women leave and it is too hard on the woman and the community") does not always hold true. How much kinder it would be to open the doors and allow a woman to try as opposed to turning her away.

Prayers for all,
TradMom[/quote]

I really wonder if that is the real reason they won't take older women, because age does not appear to be an issue in many other countries. I still think that the high cost of health care in the US makes older women look unattractive to communities. In England and Australia and Canada, there doesn't seem to be the same problem because of their medical care being free.

I spoke with two Prioresses today from Canada and both of them said that age was not a deciding factor for them - it is simply one factor to be considered along with others but my age (56) did not put them off in the slightest. One Prioress said to me that they don't like to put any obstacles into the way of a possible vocation, and they would rather have a woman come and see if God was calling her there, and then leave, rather than not answer His call. I thought that was so sweet.

You made a good point about the whole embarrassment or feeling of failure thing as well, so it is good to keep people's identities confidential unless they want to post it themselves. I am so used to being completely self-disclosing that I don't mind everyone knowing about my little adventures, but I still had bad feelings about leaving, which is so silly when one considers that discernment is really just the "dating" phase of the relationship, and there is no shame in discerning that some place is not a good fit.

Now back to this thread - the Dominicans. I went to Vespers at the Summit Dominicans last week, and it was so sweet! They sing the office in a very musical way (compared to the Carmelite plain chanting) and I loved their voices. Their chapel in beautiful and the monstrance is huge and fantastic! What a wonderful place. I hope they get many more vocations.

Yeah, it is humiliating/depressing. Especially if a person is dismissed, and didn't just decide to leave on their own. Oh long suffering me! (Cue sad song played on world's smallest violin)

As far as the other thing goes ... every community knows way better than us what works for them, what they're able to take a chance on in terms of age/health, etc. Whatever reason a community has for limits, they are their reasons, and only they and God know if its really legit or a lack of faith/hope/love. Three cheers for the Visitation. I know, that's their charism .. God called them especially to that. They are wonderful. Not all communities may be called to do that, though.

RE: Summit Dominicans. They are lovely. Sr. Mary Catherine helped me A LOT when I was going through the worst of it after I came home. It was an extremely isolating experience, and her presence to me, over email, was so consoling. I would never have known to get in touch with her if I hadn't seen her on phatmass. Vocation Station is a good deal poorer for her absence.

Guest Perpetualove

I often see Sister Mary Catharine logged in, but she no longer posts that I am aware of.

It is quite inspiring to see a cloistered nun living the life fully. I appreciate the example.

To all the above women, well said. Thank you TradMom for making the connection.