An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do Protestants...

Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1668514' date='Oct 2 2008, 03:04 PM']abhor the idea of Mary being our Mother?

Well, maybe not "abhor". "dislike" would probably be a better word.[/quote]

because it has been drilled into their heads that catholics worship her, therefore we are comitting idolatry, in their eyes.

LouisvilleFan

Not really sure about the idea of Mary as our spiritual Mother. It's not something I ever gave much thought as a Protestant, positive or negative. Nearly all Christians accept the Council of Ephesus that proclaimed Mary as Mother of God, so I don't think most Protestants dispute her spiritual motherhood nearly as much as praying to Mary and the saints.

From my own experience (NB-I'm still not Catholic): external appearances were that Mary and the saints were be worshipped on a par with the Trinity. I understand and appreciate the difference now, but I've had it explained to me by patient and charitable PMers. Not all non-Catholics have or want that opportunity.

[quote name='Selah' post='1668514' date='Oct 2 2008, 05:04 PM']abhor the idea of Mary being our Mother?

Well, maybe not "abhor". "dislike" would probably be a better word.[/quote]

I think it all goes back to the "Catholics worship Mary" nonsense. I've also actually heard some arguments that although Mary is the physical mother of Jesus, she is not actually "the mother of God" because God begot Jesus. I never really understood the issue myself. -Katie

It bothers a lot of Protestants that Mary is sometimes described and addressed in language that they would reserve only for Christ.

"Sweet Heart of Mary, be my salvation" is one example.

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1668577' date='Oct 2 2008, 04:17 PM']i think they are jealous of our wicked-cool Rosaries.[/quote]
This.

she_who_is_not

Some protestants accept Mary and the Saints. My Episcopal church recited the Angelus after every mass, and had communal rosary after weekday mass-without the Fatima invocation. May crowning, too! The Eucharistic liturgy also uses the invocation, "with the ever blessed Virgin and the Saints."
I guess I'm not a qualified protestant to answer your question.

P.S. The Regina Coeli is sung in English during Eastertide. So pretty!