An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dems Are The Party Of Death

KnightofChrist

KnightofChrist

[url="http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2008/10/01/vatican-official-attacks-us-democrats-as-party-of-death/"]Vatican official attacks U.S. Democrats as “party of death”[/url]

Vatican officials seldom single out political leaders who differ with the Church on issues like abortion rights or embryonic stem cell research. But now that the Vatican’s highest court is led by an American, the former St. Louis Archbishop Raymond Burke, we can expect things to get more explicit in Vatican City — at least when when it comes to U.S. politics.

Burke, who was named prefect of the Vatican’s Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature in June, told the Italian Catholic newspaper Avvenire that the U.S. Democratic Party risked “transforming itself definitively into a party of death for its decisions on bioethical issues.” He then attacked two of the party’s most high profile Catholics — vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — for misrepresenting Church teaching on abortion.

He said Biden and Pelosi, “while presenting themselves as good Catholics, have presented Church doctrine on abortion in a false and tendentious way.”

Pelosi drew U.S. bishops’ scorn for saying in a television interview last month that the Church itself had long debated when human life begins. Biden is a practicing Catholic who also supports abortion rights and analysts have said he could help woo wavering Catholics into Obama’s fold. Both argue that they cannot impose their religious views on others.

Burke said pro-life Democrats were “rare” and that it saddened him that the party that helped “our immigrant parents and grandparents” prosper in America had changed so much over the years.

Burke made headlines as archbishop of St. Louis for his public attacks on public figures who strayed from Catholic teaching. He suggested during the 2004 presidential campaign that Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, a Catholic, should be denied communion because of his views on abortion. Several bishops said at the time they would not give him communion and the media staked out churches where he attended Mass to see if he received it.

“Lately, I’ve noticed that other bishops are coming to this position,” Burke told Avvenire, which is owned by the Italian bishops’ conference.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, wrote a letter in 2004 to American bishops restating the Church position that a priest must refuse to distribute communion to a Catholic politician who supported abortion rights. But Burke lamented that the letter was never distributed.

Burke’s criticism isn’t limited to Democrats. Last year, he accused singer Sheryl Crow of being “a high profile proponent of the destruction of innocent lives” for defending a woman’s right to have an abortion and for being a proponent of stem cell research. He resigned as head of a children’s medical charity that featured the singer for a benefit concert.

Pope Benedict has been encouraging Catholic bishops to speak out more openly on public policy issues to make the Church’s voice heard. Any bets on when we’ll hear from Burke next?

[mod]title edit -777[/mod]

Edited by Seven77

Ah the old journalism mistake of attributing one Archbishop's opinion to "The Vatican." I can't stand when they do that although I happen to agree with Archbishop (hopefully soon Cardinal) Burke.

Pro-life democrat here hoping that the politicians will soon be called to account so that we can begin to change back to the way we used to be.

[quote name='Maggie' post='1668737' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:50 PM']Ah the old journalism mistake of attributing one Archbishop's opinion to "The Vatican." I can't stand when they do that although I happen to agree with Archbishop (hopefully soon Cardinal) Burke.[/quote]

Agreed, that was very misleading.

KnightofChrist

Whilst the title is partly misleading Avvenire, which Archbishop Burke's words where published is owned by the Italian bishops’ conference. And Archbishop Raymond Burke does lead Vatican’s highest court. His words have great importance. Because of his place at the Vatican he does in some way speak for the Vatican.

Oh, and the Democrat party is over all the party of death. Sorry prolife dems, the party is run by devils who murder children in the womb, they are the party of death.

Edited by KnightofChrist

eagle_eye222001

Go Archbishop Burke. :bishop: We will miss you. Hope his replacement is just as Catholic as he is. Media in St. Louis is convinced he got transferred because of the "controversies" he started. To make a long story short, he was doing his job in shepherding the archdiocese and apparently liberal media would prefer the archbishops to stay quiet in a corner. They are expecting a liberal archbishop and I can't wait for an Archbishop Burke II. Media is going to have a field day when a conservative archbishop is announced.

Served for him in his farewell mass which made it a total of three times I have served under him. Although my brother has me beat with a total of serving him like 5-6 times.

puellapaschalis

The title here is horribly misleading and doesn't accurately reflect even the first paragraph of the article.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1669120' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:15 AM']The title here is horribly misleading and doesn't accurately reflect even the first paragraph of the article.[/quote]

The article is misleading when it comes to state The Vatican said this, tet the Democratic Party is the party of death.

Here is the answer which was giving.

[quote]At this point, the Democratic Party risks transforming itself definitively into a "party of death" due to its choices on bioethical issues, as Ramesh Ponnuru wrote in his book "The Party of Death: The Democrats, the Media, the Courts and the Disregard for Human Life."

And I say this with a heavy heart, because we all know that the Democrats were the party that helped our Catholic immigrant parents and grandparents to better integrate into and prosper in American society. But it's not the same anymore.

Nonetheless, there are among Democrats some pro-lifers, but they are, unfortunately, rare.[/quote]

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1669154' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:38 AM']Saying "If X continues with this, it risks becoming Y" is not the same as "X is Y".[/quote]

yeah, it was a highly dishonest title wasen't it?

They are both paries of death, right now.
-Me

KnightofChrist

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1669154' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:38 AM']Saying "If X continues with this, it risks becoming Y" is not the same as "X is Y".[/quote]

The Democratic Party is the party of death, end of story. All the Bishops will one day see this.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1668746' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:59 PM']Pro-life democrat here hoping that the politicians will soon be called to account so that we can begin to change back to the way we used to be.[/quote]

:yes: