An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Of The Ot/nt

bmb144

Doing OT exegesis and Christology at the same time is bound to bring up some questions and I have one I'd like to put to you guys for some input.

Due to the weight of OT redaction some of my lecturers call into question whether or not there is one Jewish/OT God. Some even say there maybe 2 due to the JEPD redaction sources, so in your eyes what evidence is there to say that there is only one God and this God is the Father of Jesus? Thanks for your input. :))

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe not what you are looking for, but I was just reading about St. Anthony Padua w/ the Albigensian heretics. They didn't believe the God of the OT was the one true God. Anthony replied that in not believing, one denies Christ, as He quoted the God of the OT as is recorded in the NT.

Remember, some people have "redacted" their way out of the Church... :)

Thanks. A Jewish theologian friend of mine help sort the redactive mess out and I'm not throwing books any more :lol_roll:

You know you can only redact so much before it just gets plain silly!

[quote]Due to the weight of OT redaction some of my lecturers call into question whether or not there is one Jewish/OT God. Some even say there maybe 2 due to the JEPD redaction sources, so in your eyes what evidence is there to say that there is only one God and this God is the Father of Jesus?[/quote]

You have to be careful with the JEPD theory. Although interesting and sometimes helpful, it is certainly not definitive. I know it is common in certain circles, my understanding is it is losing steam.

The Church teaches that the scriptures reveal the One Word and should be taken as One Word. If you look at the creation account, the God who makes something out of nothing ([i]ex nhilo[/i]) there can be only one God, not multiple. Contemplate the God that Was in the Beginning, before creation and everything you see came from nothing. Unlike a house that people need the raw materials, God created from nothing. Pretty amazing.

As for the divergence of the OT and NT in terms of style and tone, there is a long gap in the writing and we, as modern readers lose some of the contextual background in which it was written. We should understand that going in.

Not sure if this helps in anyway but I hope it does.

Peace,

MilesJesu