An Old School Catholic Message Board

California Approves Nurse-assisted Suicide

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76713"]http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...mp;pageId=76713[/url]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1668819' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:25 PM'][url="http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=76713"]http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE...mp;pageId=76713[/url][/quote]

And we all thought Schwarzenegger put away his role as the Terminator when he became Governor of California. I guess not! Terrible news. Very sad.

Ok...I said this years ago.

I have already seen this happen....in ILLINOIS....it is called...

DUN DUN DUUUUNNN!!!!!

Hospice.

[quote name='picchick' post='1669111' date='Oct 3 2008, 02:22 AM']Ok...I said this years ago.

DUN DUN DUUUUNNN!!!!!

Hospice.[/quote]

silly little girl.. you don't write for WND. If you did, then folks would actually pay attention to you..

dominicansoul

[quote name='picchick' post='1669111' date='Oct 3 2008, 01:22 AM']Ok...I said this years ago.

DUN DUN DUUUUNNN!!!!!

Hospice.[/quote]

Is hospice really assisted suicide???? Wow.

Sister Rose Therese

No! Hospice is not assisted suicide.
It is better, appropiate treatment for those you are dying.
It is unethical also to inflict useless and burndensome treatments on those who are dying, which I am afraid is something that still happens a lot. It is a problem with our western society being unable to face death. We still hear regularly of people who are subjected to very painful and invasive and expensive treatments even though the Doctor knows that it will not help them.
Those who are dying need more spiritual help, the presence of their family, pain control and treatments that will help them to be as functional and as comfortable as possible as the prepare to die.
Now if you have had some personal experience of nurses knowingly giving lethal amounts of pain killers or some such thing, that is another matter. But that is not what hospice is supposed to be, and there may be a problem in that particular hospice program.
I have been very impressed with my experiences with hospice.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1669199' date='Oct 3 2008, 09:04 AM']No! Hospice is not assisted suicide.
It is unethical also to inflict useless and burndensome treatments on those who are dying, which I am afraid is something that still happens a lot. It is a problem with our western society being unable to face death. We still hear regularly of people who are subjected to very painful and invasive and expensive treatments even though the Doctor knows that it will not help them.
Those who are dying need more spiritual help, the presence of their family, pain control and treatments that will help them to be as functional and as comfortable as possible as the prepare to die.
Now if you have had some personal experience of nurses knowingly giving lethal amounts of pain killers or some such thing, that is another matter. But that is not what hospice is supposed to be, and there may be a problem in that particular hospice program.
I have been very impressed with my experiences with hospice.[/quote]

Thanks. I didn't think it was...that's why I was surprised with the comparison...

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1669199' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:04 AM']No! Hospice is not assisted suicide.
I have been very impressed with my experiences with hospice.[/quote]

Hospice is not giving lethal injections...true. But it is far from appropriate treatment for the dying. True, it is unethical to inflict useless, burndensome treatments on those who are dying.
The nurses are nice...sure.

I have had experiences with several different hospices. It was not just one. One at the nursing home that I worked at, the other at the hospital that I worked at, and then one with my grandma. Every one had the same thing. There was delay in care, disregard for doctors orders (this was in the situation with my grandma), they did not listen to the patient, there was dehydration, and when ever I wanted something done for my patients to make them more comfortable the answer was, "They are on hospice." They are not allowed IV's, they are not allowed food, (sure the protocol says comfort only) but when a patient asks for food and is told no....well that's just wrong.

Furthermore, nurses are so quick to jump on the hospice boat and yet when the patient's condition improves they are still on hospice. This is not nurse's fault. This is hospice's fault. They should have reviewed their patients to see who was appropriate and who was not. By not doing so, care was denied to those who were not dying. This was the case for one of my nursing home residents. She was close to death on one day. The family decided to put her on hospice that day. She made a full recovery yet she remained on hospice. The patient would tell me all the time that she didn't want it. She was very upset. I talked to her a lot and she had some short term memory loss but she was still able to make decisions based on her care. This is just one of the many cases.

I have heard about the greatness of hospice from families. I took care of their family members. One lady on her death bed was dried out completely. Her lips, mouth eveything was bone dry. The son was there and there was a hospice nurse. Why didn't the nurse provide mouth care? That is a comfort measure not an invasive procedure. It is just moistening the lips and mouth. How hard is it to find chap stick for the woman? How hard was it to answer the son's questions?

Hospice is founded on the principles of allowing someone to die in dignity yet I do not see that as the case today.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1669169' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:51 AM']silly little girl.. you don't write for WND. If you did, then folks would actually pay attention to you..[/quote]

I don't know what the WND is but even if I did write for it I would still be trumped. Hospice is too "great" of an institution and organization for anything bad to happen within it.
[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669186' date='Oct 3 2008, 09:34 AM']Is hospice really assisted suicide???? Wow.[/quote]
It is not assisted suicide. It is not founded on that principle, yet I believe that it is becoming closer and closer to that.

LouisvilleFan

The Catholic hospital in my hometown also has a hospice center... they have a good bishop though, so hopefully this assisted suicide stuff isn't happening there.

[quote name='picchick' post='1669229' date='Oct 3 2008, 11:15 AM']I don't know what the WND is ...[/quote]

[quote name='Didymus' post='1669344' date='Oct 3 2008, 04:16 PM']world net daily[/quote]

oh you people :rolleyes: