An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vp Debate

Lounge Daddy

KnightofChrist

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1671385' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:03 AM'][img]http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/po/2008/po081003.gif[/img][/quote]

Interesting point of view this artist has of normal American men, where all some dumb fatties. And the low bar is bs, the Media set it pretty dang high, and she still made it.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1671605' date='Oct 6 2008, 02:41 PM']Interesting point of view this artist has of normal American men, where all some dumb fatties. And the low bar is bs, the Media set it pretty dang high, and she still made it.[/quote]
I think satire is completely lost on you.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1671605' date='Oct 6 2008, 04:41 PM']Interesting point of view this artist has of normal American men, where all some dumb fatties. And the low bar is bs, the Media set it pretty dang high, and she still made it.[/quote]
[list=1]
[*]Sarah Palin herself made constant reference to "Joe Sixpack," which is what the cartoonist is alluding to.
[*]Au contraire. The bar was set so low based on Palin's interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric that as long as she didn't trip and fall on her face on her way to or from the podium, her performance would be considered a success. Score one for Palin.
[/list]

Check out the [url="http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/vp-debate-open-palin-biden/727421/"]mock VP debate on SNL[/url]. It's hilarious and really nails everyone involved.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1671963' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:37 PM'][list=1]
[*]Sarah Palin herself made constant reference to "Joe Sixpack," which is what the cartoonist is alluding to.
[*]Au contraire. The bar was set so low based on Palin's interviews with Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric that as long as she didn't trip and fall on her face on her way to or from the podium, her performance would be considered a success. Score one for Palin.
[/list]

Check out the [url="http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/vp-debate-open-palin-biden/727421/"]mock VP debate on SNL[/url]. It's hilarious and really nails everyone involved.[/quote]
As far as the VP debates are concerned Palin owned Joe Biden when it came to what is perceived to be her weakest point: foreign policy. I'll never forget that bit on Afghanistan where she made Biden completely stutter and mumble to the point where he had everyone lost by the end of his introduction. She did outstanding in my view no matter how low you think the expectations were of her.

Edited by Justin86

I'm putting in bold the part I was speaking of in the previous post of mine. His introduction was so terrible he had to have lost half the crowd with it before he even got started talking really. That was a terrible gaffe that made him look like an incoherent moron, and it looked like he knew he had nothing to offer on foreign policy compared to Palin. Palin 1, Biden 0.

[quote]IFILL: Governor, on another issue, interventionism, nuclear weapons. What should be the trigger, or should there be a trigger, when nuclear weapons use is ever put into play?

PALIN: Nuclear weaponry, of course, would be the be all, end all of just too many people in too many parts of our planet, so those dangerous regimes, again, cannot be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons, period.

Our nuclear weaponry here in the U.S. is used as a deterrent. And that's a safe, stable way to use nuclear weaponry.

But for those countries -- North Korea, also, under Kim Jong-il -- we have got to make sure that we're putting the economic sanctions on these countries and that we have friends and allies supporting us in this to make sure that leaders like Kim Jong-il and Ahmadinejad are not allowed to acquire, to proliferate, or to use those nuclear weapons. It is that important.

Can we talk about Afghanistan real quick, also, though?

IFILL: Certainly.

PALIN: OK, I'd like to just really quickly mention there, too, that when you look back and you say that the Bush administration's policy on Afghanistan perhaps would be the same as McCain, and that's not accurate.

The surge principles, not the exact strategy, but the surge principles that have worked in Iraq need to be implemented in Afghanistan, also. And that, perhaps, would be a difference with the Bush administration.

Now, Barack Obama had said that all we're doing in Afghanistan is air-raiding villages and killing civilians. And such a reckless, reckless comment and untrue comment, again, hurts our cause.

That's not what we're doing there. We're fighting terrorists, and we're securing democracy, and we're building schools for children there so that there is opportunity in that country, also. There will be a big difference there, and we will win in -- in Afghanistan, also.

IFILL: Senator, you may talk about nuclear use, if you'd like, and also about Afghanistan.

BIDEN: I'll talk about both. With Afghanistan, facts matter, Gwen.

[b]The fact is that our commanding general in Afghanistan said today that a surge -- the surge principles used in Iraq will not -- well, let me say this again now -- our commanding general in Afghanistan said the surge principle in Iraq will not work in Afghanistan, not Joe Biden, our commanding general in Afghanistan.[/b]

He said we need more troops. We need government-building. We need to spend more money on the infrastructure in Afghanistan.

Look, we have spent more money -- we spend more money in three weeks on combat in Iraq than we spent on the entirety of the last seven years that we have been in Afghanistan building that country.

Let me say that again. Three weeks in Iraq; seven years, seven years or six-and-a-half years in Afghanistan. Now, that's number one.

Number two, with regard to arms control and weapons, nuclear weapons require a nuclear arms control regime. John McCain voted against a Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty that every Republican has supported.

John McCain has opposed amending the Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty with an amendment to allow for inspections.

John McCain has not been -- has not been the kind of supporter for dealing with -- and let me put it another way. My time is almost up.

Barack Obama, first thing he did when he came to the United States Senate, new senator, reached across the aisle to my colleague, Johnsonville brat Lugar, a Republican, and said, "We've got to do something about keeping nuclear weapons out of the hands of terrorists."

They put together a piece of legislation that, in fact, was serious and real. Every major -- I shouldn't say every -- on the two at least that I named, I know that John McCain has been opposed to extending the arms control regime in the world.[/quote]

By the way, I'm glad Palin turned this question into a debate over Afghanistan, instead the use of nuclear weapons. Everyone knows VP's don't have their finger on the button, and it was a stupid question. Did the moderator in the Presidential debates even ask that question? It's absurd to ask the VPs.

Edited by Justin86

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Justin86' post='1671976' date='Oct 7 2008, 07:16 AM']I'm putting in bold the part I was speaking of in the previous post of mine. His introduction was so terrible he had to have lost half the crowd with it before he even got started talking really. That was a terrible gaffe that made him look like an incoherent moron, and it looked like he knew he had nothing to offer on foreign policy compared to Palin. Palin 1, Biden 0.

By the way, I'm glad Palin turned this question into a debate over Afghanistan, instead the use of nuclear weapons. Everyone knows VP's don't have their finger on the button, and it was a stupid question. Did the moderator in the Presidential debates even ask that question? It's absurd to ask the VPs.[/quote]
Yeah, Palin's real credible. She doesn't even know the name of the commanding general in Afghanistan.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Justin86' post='1671968' date='Oct 7 2008, 08:03 AM']She did outstanding in my view no matter how low you think the expectations were of her.[/quote]
"Outstandingness" is clearly in the eye of the beholder. As the previous poster noted, Palin's views on Afghanistan might be credible if she actually knew the name of the commanding general.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1671989' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:08 PM']"Outstandingness" is clearly in the eye of the beholder. As the previous poster noted, Palin's views on Afghanistan might be credible if she actually knew the name of the commanding general.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Obama's views might be credible if he would have said he would have voted for the surge in Iraq if he could go back after he acknowledge that it worked.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Justin86' post='1671991' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:11 AM']:rolleyes:

Obama's views might be credible if he would have said he would have voted for the surge in Iraq if he could go back after he acknowledge that it worked.[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHW-0LDQ0IE"]Speaking of credibility...[/url]

[i]So John, you like to pretend like the war started in 2007. You talk about the "surge," the war started in 2003. At the time, when the war started, you said it was going to be quick and easy. You said you knew where the weapons of mass destruction were — and you were wrong. You said we were going to be greeted as liberators — you were wrong. You said that there was no history of violence between Shi’a and Sunni, and you were wrong. …if the question is, who is best equipped as the next president to make good decisions about how we use our military, how we make sure we are prepared and ready for the next conflict, then I think we can take a look at our judgment.[/i]

those who are opposed to the war for moral reasons have no representation whatsoever in Obama.

Why can't some folks see that?

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1671996' date='Oct 7 2008, 11:18 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHW-0LDQ0IE"]Speaking of credibility...[/url]

[i]So John, you like to pretend like the war started in 2007. You talk about the "surge," the war started in 2003. At the time, when the war started, you said it was going to be quick and easy. You said you knew where the weapons of mass destruction were — and you were wrong. You said we were going to be greeted as liberators — you were wrong. You said that there was no history of violence between Shi’a and Sunni, and you were wrong. …if the question is, who is best equipped as the next president to make good decisions about how we use our military, how we make sure we are prepared and ready for the next conflict, then I think we can take a look at our judgment.[/i][/quote]
It really doesn't matter whether or not the reason we went into Iraq or Afghanistan was right at this point. What matters is who is going to be the best at winning the wars in those two countries and the obvious choice for that is John McCain. Obama says even if he could go back he still wouldn't vote for the surge. What kind of credibility is that? Exactly why should we think he has any clue how to win wars if he's not even willing to correct his mistakes?

[quote name='Justin86' post='1671991' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:11 AM']:rolleyes:

Obama's views might be credible if he would have said he would have voted for the surge in Iraq if he could go back after he acknowledge that it worked.[/quote]

What is "the sruge"?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1671605' date='Oct 6 2008, 03:41 PM']Interesting point of view this artist has of normal American men, where all some dumb fatties. And the low bar is bs, the Media set it pretty dang high, and she still made it.[/quote]

Yes, it was a mighty high bar.

So had to be able to

1-Not babble incoherantly for more than a few minutes

2-Stick, in the most general sense possible, to the question to such an extent that one can tell she actually understands the question

3-Remember to breath (don't mock it, that's a tough one)

4-Include some moronic Folksy sayings, "oh say it ain't so Joe"

5-not fall on her face

She managed to give answers proving she had the intelligence of a reasonably smart middle schooler.

Well done Palin, well done

:saint: