An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vp Debate

Lounge Daddy

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1669141' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:22 AM']That is the stupidest thing I've heard you say about Palin thus far. Oh and where was this airhead who wouldn't stand a chance you told us would Palin would be? Do you have the intellectual honestly to admit you where wrong?[/quote]
Palin did well with her talking points insofar as she delivered them in her "folksy" manner. Never mind that she had to the temerity to trot out the same Republican nonsense about "government isn't the solution, government is the problem" in the context of the government bailing out the Right's beloved private sector in its worst crisis since the Great Depression. But I diverge. Given the extremely low expectations for her, I will give Palin her props for being able to string her talking points together in a generally coherent manner.

BTW, "nuclear" is a word that consists of only three syllables. Either she can pronounce the word and mispronounces it deliberately in some lame attempt to "connect" with "middle America," or she really can't pronounce it, which points to a deficit in her education. In light of our experience with the current occupant of the White House and his (in)famous inability to pronounce the word in question, as noted above I view Palin's mispronunciation of the word as an automatic disqualification. Seriously.

I didn't see the entire debate, but I saw most of the first half.

In the presidential debate thread, I said that putting politics aside, McCain came across as more presidential than Obama. Well, I think that was reversed for the vice presidential debate. I thought Biden came across as more presidential than Palin. Palin seemed really nervous. Biden came across more confidently.

Palin seemed to be trying to be down to earth, which I'm sure is sincere, but I don't think it comes across well. Politicians need a certain gravitas. I was thinking during the debate that I can't imagine Palin negotiating with world leaders.

I thought the debate was more relaxed than the presidential debate. Both Biden and Palin looked at each other at times, there were a few light moments, etc.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kujo' post='1668938' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:55 PM']Haven't been around for awhile. Figured I'd pop my head in and put my 2 cents in for the debate.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I played a drinking game during this debate. Everytime Palin said "Maverick" I had to take a sip. And any mention she made about the Bush Doctrine, Snow Machine, Moose, Lipstick, Hockey Mom, or Family Values would result in finishing my drink. On the Biden side, any "working class" or "middle class" reference was met with a sip (bonus points if we were drinking Miller High Life), and if he told the "I take the train home everyday story" I had to start drinking and couldn't stop 'till he finished. Luckily, that didn't happen.

Anyway, as to the content of the debate. I felt that they both scored some points with their constituencies (Biden's "Bridge to Nowhere" comment and subsequent stare down was probably the "OH SNAP" moment of the night, IMHO), a victory that Palin absolutely needed due to the bad press she's been getting amongst conservatives in the media lately. Biden appeared strong in the area we all figured he would--foreign policy. I felt that he looked and sounded statesman like whereas Palin appeared to be reading the Bush handbook on the subject. While she definitely hammered home that the Obama ticket would raise our taxes, she was woefully unoriginal and robotic on foreign policy. I felt like she really appeared out of her league when discussing nuclear weapons, btw.

Overall, I'd say Biden gets a A- (that gaffe about not knowing what article of the Constitution discusses the Executive Branch will be the [b]most overlooked part of the night[/b]) and Palin gets a B (maybe a B+).[/quote]

KUJO!

Were you wasted by the end of the debate???

:lol:

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Era Might' post='1669167' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:50 AM']Palin seemed to be trying to be down to earth, which I'm sure is sincere, but I don't think it comes across well. Politicians need a certain gravitas. I was thinking during the debate that I can't imagine Palin negotiating with world leaders.[/quote]
:yes: :punk:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Era Might' post='1669167' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:50 AM']Palin seemed to be trying to be down to earth, which I'm sure is sincere, but I don't think it comes across well. Politicians need a certain gravitas. I was thinking during the debate that I can't imagine Palin negotiating with world leaders.[/quote]

Her personality and attitude may be just what we need to negotiate with world leaders!

goldenchild17

[quote name='Hassan' post='1668854' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:54 PM']We are in total agreament :detective:[/quote]

that makes 3 of us :mellow: . I think she did far better than I expected. At least she didn't make her self look stupid. But still, once she started talking about the constitution and giving the VP more power and whatnot, she lost me.

one thing.... why the heck does Palin bring up "seeing Russia from Alaska" so much when foreign policy experience is brought up if she has that story about de-investing from Sudan... that's much more related to foreign policy than being near to Russia (since Russia never does anything remotely to do with Alaska these days)

she kept being blatantly obvious about avoiding things (most politicians have more slight-of-hand to make you think they're talking about the topic)... like the question would be posed and Palin would just "well, I'd actually like to get back to x topic". the moderator lady at one point after she started talking about energy in an unrelated discussion was like "I'd now be happy to talk to you about energy"... haha because that was when the question about it was actually going to come

they seemed to be both guilty of the we-agree thing though... i didn't see it as just a skew Palin was doing to her views but as something Biden was also doing to his views.

princessgianna

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1669159' date='Oct 3 2008, 07:42 AM']BTW, "nuclear" is a word that consists of only three syllables. Either she can pronounce the word and mispronounces it deliberately in some lame attempt to "connect" with "middle America," or she really can't pronounce it, which points to a deficit in her education. In light of our experience with the current occupant of the White House and his (in)famous inability to pronounce the word in question, as noted above I view Palin's mispronunciation of the word as an automatic disqualification. Seriously.[/quote]

oh please and while we are counting mistakes :wacko: Biden at one point said "Barack Obam- i mean John McCain..." and let's not forget that Obama said there were 58 states! I know it wa a mis-talk on his part and we all make mistakes but seriously you think that he would have corrected himself if he was truly knowing what he was saying!!!
and then Biden also messed up at least 2 other times on words and got all flustered!

i mean nuclear is a one of those words that is not the easiest to say and I am so happy you can pronounce it and think that every one should but come on!!! also are you remembering the fact that she is from Alaska please they have a twang like NY people have a twang and St.louis :woot: have a twang~ and the beautiful Texas! :texas:

gee besides she knows WAY more about Clean Energy and stuff like that than Biden,Obama and McCain all to gether!!!!

GO PALIN!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! :clap:

princessgianna

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669185' date='Oct 3 2008, 08:32 AM']Her personality and attitude may be just what we need to negotiate with world leaders![/quote]
I agree to that! She is STRAIGHT TALK!!!
Biden kept going in these longgggggggggggggggggggg explanations she just got right to the point and kept the audience entertained also with her charismatic smile and good choice of words and good humor!

anyone notice the string of wierd emPHAsized george BUSH-es... it was quite funny... I was hoping for him to mispronounce and say "georgia bush's" since georgia was on my bingo card and the country hadn't come up :(

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1669198' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:03 AM']oh please and while we are counting mistakes :wacko: Biden at one point said "Barack Obam- i mean John McCain..." and let's not forget that Obama said there were 58 states! I know it wa a mis-talk on his part and we all make mistakes but seriously you think that he would have corrected himself if he was truly knowing what he was saying!!!
and then Biden also messed up at least 2 other times on words and got all flustered!

i mean nuclear is a one of those words that is not the easiest to say and I am so happy you can pronounce it and think that every one should but come on!!! also are you remembering the fact that she is from Alaska please they have a twang like NY people have a twang and St.louis :woot: have a twang~ and the beautiful Texas! :texas:

gee besides she knows WAY more about Clean Energy and stuff like that than Biden,Obama and McCain all to gether!!!!

GO PALIN!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! :clap:[/quote]
Having some modicum of education would seem to be, you know, a bare minimum requirement for political office. I infer from anyone's speech, not just Palin's, their level of education, which does not mean of course that one can't make mistakes. But if someone from NY or NJ says "ax" instead of "ask," that reflects on their level of education and, by extension, their critical thinking abilities. The noted conservative William Buckley is an excellent case in point. In short, speaking correctly implies thoughtfulness; speaking incorrectly implies some degree of non-thoughtfulness and/or mental laziness. Being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious characterizes the current occupant of the White House and I don't want to "go there" again.

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1669201' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:05 AM']I agree to that! She is STRAIGHT TALK!!!
Biden kept going in these longgggggggggggggggggggg explanations she just got right to the point and kept the audience entertained also with her charismatic smile and good choice of words and good humor![/quote]
Right. If something can't be reduced to a sound bite, it's not worth thinking or talking about.

dominicansoul

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1669217' date='Oct 3 2008, 09:47 AM']Having some modicum of education would seem to be, you know, a bare minimum requirement for political office. I infer from anyone's speech, not just Palin's, their level of education, which does not mean of course that one can't make mistakes. But if someone from NY or NJ says "ax" instead of "ask," that reflects on their level of education and, by extension, their critical thinking abilities. The noted conservative William Buckley is an excellent case in point. In short, speaking correctly implies thoughtfulness; speaking incorrectly implies some degree of non-thoughtfulness and/or mental laziness. Being non-thoughtful, mentally lazy, unthinking and incurious characterizes the current occupant of the White House and I don't want to "go there" again.

Right. If something can't be reduced to a sound bite, it's not worth thinking or talking about.[/quote]

And yet, I see Palin making it, regardless of her speech and her pronunciation...

Obama speaks eloquently, but it's what he's saying that I pay attention to, not the way he says it...

as much as I think that she did a great job and can hold her own as a politician, it's still very sad. why did she just gloss over the potential of alternative energy and about Pakistan. how come she didn't use the words "middle class" as much as Biden? she looked nice and cheeerful though.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1669183' date='Oct 3 2008, 10:29 AM']KUJO!

Were you wasted by the end of the debate???

:lol:[/quote]

Nah. I'm a big Italian-Irishman. I can hold my liquor.