An Old School Catholic Message Board

Check Your Credit Card Statements!

abercius24

[quote name='dUSt' post='1670385' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:35 PM']I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me to trade my car in for a motorcycle, but she's not having that.[/quote]

"But hunny! Motorcycles are great on gas!" I think every married man has tried that one out at least once, and failed miserably every time! LOL

In our house, it me that always looking at bikes or scooters or motorcycles. He won't let me have any of the above. He's afraid I'll fall on my head again.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1670390' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:40 PM']Well credit cards are thievery anyway. I paid off one card this year and am in the process of paying off wedding expenses on another. I mean, they can have their place but use with great caution.[/quote]
Well, I think it really depends on how you look at them. Some people use them strictly to put all of their expenses together on one bill (and pay it off at the end of the month). Others see it as a way to pay $50 a month (or whatever the minimum payment is) to buy whatever they want and will worry about paying it off "someday." Others use it only for big purchases or emergencies (and then try to pay it off as quickly as they can). I think options 1 and 3 are fine (1 being the safest, of course), but unfortunately there are too many people trying pull off #2 and now they are deep in #2.

I don't have credit cards but I have a horrid amount of school debt. I'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they're doing legal things.

Thanks to this thread, I called my bank. They reduced my interest rate by 10% just because I asked them to. Plus they had never raised it to begin with.

That made me happy.

You'd be surprised what you can get from them by just asking. When we got married, I made him go through his wallet and call each one. He was actually paying yearly fees on some. That got cut, and the interest rate. It's the little things that can really add up.

I'm looking forward to paying off my <2,000 dollars in credit card debt when I get my insurance claim for personal losses and pain and suffering.

I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the plastic completely unless it is too big a distraction.

You need a credit card for things like car rentals, gas and other things that put large authorizations on your account then only bill what you use at the end, Also, using a credit card give you recourse with merchants and will sometimes extend warranties. You don't have recourse with a debit card. If a company goes bankrupt like several airlines did last year this is big.

Pay attention to the grace periods, the time between the closing date and the beginning of interest being charged. This is shortening too.

I use cards and never carry a balance.

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1671704' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:54 PM']I use cards and never carry a balance.[/quote]

That's what we do. It's not safe to carry cash in my neighborhood, and we get points that we redeem for groceries every Christmas. We do a dinner for people who don't have anywhere else to go, and that way we can do it without feeling guilty about spending too much money.

It's also impossible practically to get a hotel room without a credit card, unless it's the kind of hotel that charges by the hour, and I hate sleeping in hazmat suits.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1671740' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:30 PM']It's also impossible practically to get a hotel room without a credit card, unless it's the kind of hotel that charges by the hour, and I hate sleeping in hazmat suits.[/quote]
:rolling:

I just paid off my credit card completely. I've never been so happy about my credit card until now lol Now to work on those lovely hospital bills. At least I'm on a payment plan with those and they aren't charging me interest!

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1670441' date='Oct 4 2008, 07:43 PM']In our house, it me that always looking at bikes or scooters or motorcycles. He won't let me have any of the above. He's afraid I'll fall on my head again.[/quote]

Again???

[quote name='abercius24' post='1674151' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:19 AM']Again???[/quote]

Yes, I fell on my head in 1991, pretty hard. That's why they won't let me practice law anymore. I kept forgetting my client's names and getting lost in the courthouse. I ended up in the janitor's closet once. I thought it was the judge's chambers. The janitor's closet was cleaner.