An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is The American Dream?

homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom

I have heard different people IRL tossing the phrase "American dream" around lately. I don't think they mean the same (as each other). So, pmers.... what say you? What's "The American Dream"?

Vincent Vega

I'd say that those people never had to read The Great Gatsby and write the inevitable subsequent essay on what it is.

homeschoolmom

I'll give you an example of what I've heard...

One of our neighbors has mentioned maxing out their credit so that they can have all kinds of stuff... and says, "Hey! Just living the American Dream!"

And I got to thinking... I'll bet lots of people really believe that that is the American dream.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1670500' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:23 PM']I'll give you an example of what I've heard...

One of our neighbors has mentioned maxing out their credit so that they can have all kinds of stuff... and says, "Hey! Just living the American Dream!"

And I got to thinking... I'll bet lots of people really believe that that is the American dream.[/quote]

Yes, I believe that too :( It is really sad to me. But that is not what the American Dream is to me. I do not think that it was what the Founding Fathers thought either.

It used to be to own your own house, and have your kids do better in life than you did. Now it is to win the lottery, find someone to sue, or to push your kid to become a professional athlete or marry one.

American Dream.....

To have whatever you want, no holds barred
To strive for 'uniqueness' and 'individuality' to define oneself in this fast-paced world
The satiation of impatience bred by our modern society and extravagant lifestyle
(meaning 'entertain me, entertain me!')

I dunno, I have lost a lot of my faith in America and Canada too these past few years. People are living like they belong in a rap video.

Taking your children to school. (or schooling them yourself) ;)

Being married to your best friend.

Helping others.

The American Dream is not the same for everyone. My American Dream is very different from some of my friends who hold materialistic things above family.

To me the American Dream is my fighting chance to be the best I can be for God, family, country, and myself.

Edited by abercius24

The freedom to live in my own place as a single person and not have to live under someone else's roof. This goes for male and female alike as in some countries neither gender moves out until marriage.

Knight of the Holy Rosary

I believe that the American dream (in the context of the authentic America founded by our forefathers) is the ability to reap the benefits of doing the right and the good, all due to the rights assured by our country, and to accomplish this by ones own volition.

I guess for one to search for what is right, do what is right and enjoy the prosperity that stems from it would be the ideal American dream.

Unfortunately, many believe frequent fornication, laziness, gluttony, over-indulgence, and materlism are the true American dream...before it ruins them and they dicover that they called the "American dream" is in fact a nightmare.

My $.02