An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is The American Dream?

homeschoolmom

The true American dream may have been drafted by the Pilgrims who crossed the Atlantic aboard the Mayflower, seeking the freedom to practice Christianity according to their own determination. [b]The Mayflower Compact [/b]embodies the precepts and principles that best states the dreams of our forefathers and the american way.
[i]“Having undertaken, for the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian Faith and Honor of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the First Colony in the Northern Parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually in the presence of God and one of another, Covenant and Combine ourselves together into a Civil Body Politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute and frame such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions and Offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience.”
[/i]

princessgianna

[quote name='apparently' post='1670963' date='Oct 5 2008, 05:43 PM']The true American dream may have been drafted by the Pilgrims who crossed the Atlantic aboard the Mayflower, seeking the freedom to practice Christianity according to their own determination. [b]The Mayflower Compact [/b]embodies the precepts and principles that best states the dreams of our forefathers and the american way.
[i]“Having undertaken, for the Glory of God and advancement of the Christian Faith and Honor of our King and Country, a Voyage to plant the First Colony in the Northern Parts of Virginia, do by these presents solemnly and mutually in the presence of God and one of another, Covenant and Combine ourselves together into a Civil Body Politic, for our better ordering and preservation and furtherance of the ends aforesaid; and by virtue hereof to enact, constitute and frame such just and equal Laws, Ordinances, Acts, Constitutions and Offices, from time to time, as shall be thought most meet and convenient for the general good of the Colony, unto which we promise all due submission and obedience.”
[/i][/quote]
though the American dream NOW is $ and getting EVERYTHING for nothing!
St.Jude pray for us~ :pray:

Edited by princessgianna

Ash Wednesday

When I think of the "American Dream" I think it started as a concept among the immigrants that came here to live a better life than what they had in their homeland. The idea that someone could come or start out here, dirt poor, and through hard work and a little luck, find the right opportunity and get rich or at least find modest success and a better life -- that's what I think of when I hear the term.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1670486' date='Oct 4 2008, 08:59 PM']I'd say that those people never had to read The Great Gatsby and write the inevitable subsequent essay on what it is.[/quote]
:o

I was JUST about to say something about that... I just wrote a paper about Gatsby and the American Dream a few weeks ago.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='picchick' post='1670502' date='Oct 4 2008, 09:24 PM']Yes, I believe that too :( It is really sad to me. But that is not what the American Dream is to me. I do not think that it was what the Founding Fathers thought either.[/quote]

Ya, the Founding Fathers were interested in rights & responsibilities. Today, people just want rights.
The Founding Fathers were advocates of libertarianism. But all too many people today just want license; pleasure without consequence.

To me, the American Dream is freedom to do what I believe I ought to do, and freedom to make mistakes so that I learn to be better, and so that I can correct my actions accordingly. Thus, the freedom to fail is inherent in the American Dream.

The American Dream respects the individual, so that each can live life according to his or her beliefs; and each individual is able to find his or her own way.