An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop Approves Physical Defense Against Eucharist Desecrators

CatholicDefender

CatholicDefender

Today I met with a Bishop (whose name will remain anonymous) while I'm here in IL. Among other things I brought up the topic of Eucharist desecration because of what has been happening thus far this year.

I asked him if physical force is justified and righteous when stopping someone from desecrating the Blessed Sacrament. He replied "[b]you may stop someone in any way short of killing them. I don't believe that you should kill them.[/b]

We talked on the topic for a bit then I asked him "what if someone has already done it and may be planning to do it again? Could I rough them up a bit to let them know how serious of a thing they are doing?" The Bishop relied [b]I wouldn't be against that.[/b]

These days the Church has to be careful politically so you all will not hear Bishops come out in public and say something like this. It should not surprise anyone. Hope everyone's having a good weekend. God Bless!

This is incredibly touchy - for one must look at the Master's "Turn the other cheek" as well as the issue of He Himself forgiving his Crucifiers.

I do not know if the Bishop is right or wrong, but I assume right since, well, he is the Bishop!

Perhaps the priests of our Church need to keep better watch of who is taking the Eucharist and who is not - some priests are good for this and others are not - I am fortunate to have a very strong priest who has no problem with holding communion (I know from personal experience!).

What is the story behind the desecrations?

Stopping someone from committing desecration I could see as feasible.

Roughing someone up before they do seems a little iffy. Seems more like a "Creep deserves it" response made in the heat of a discussion.

A few questions must be asked here that Cardinal O'Connor put forth in the case of attacking abortion doctors. If we're justified in attacking the perpetrator, must we also be justified in attacking those who will come to his defense? Are you ready to beat down Dominique Poulin's father if he tries to stop you? What about any of his college professors or any strangers that may not understand what is going on? Or what about a cop who gets involved? Violence in the civil arena is a lot more complex than a 1 on 1 confrontation.

And let us remember just how successful violence has been in the civil arena. Were the Black Panthers more successful than Martin Luther King Jr. in their work against segregation? How about the persecution of Moslems in India: Were the Moslem insurgents more successful than Gandhi at ending their strife? Violence must be used as a LAST RESORT to protect the innocent -- because it always escalates into more violence which later spills out onto the innocent. There are peaceful means to resolving such issues that we are obligated to follow.

Edited by abercius24

[color="blue"]Would punching up the kid be a fruitful thing to do? We want to Dominique to repent and aquire salvation, not lead him further away from the Church. Wouldn't he recieve the belting he deserves at the time of Judgement? Also he does own a lot of weapons (see video #31) :wacko: Would belting the kid[i] prevent[/i] him from acting further on these desecrations or only inkindle more hatred and miss-understandings?

To those who have no idea who we are talking about see the thread "campaign to remove sacreligious material from Youtube"

Darky [/color]

So you are saying 1 of the 9 Bishops in Illinois are for using violence against this kid? I don't think the Illinois Bishops will be happy you posted this online for everyone to read.

CatholicDefender

All I'm relaying is what the Bishop told me when I met him yesterday. Abercius24, like I said, the Church won't come out and say something like this in public because it would be political suicide.

Who here would not physically stop him from desecrating the Eucharist if they were in the same room as him while he was about to do it. Anyone?

[quote name='CatholicDefender' post='1670711' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:18 AM']All I'm relaying is what the Bishop told me when I met him yesterday. Abercius24, like I said, the Church won't come out and say something like this in public because it would be political suicide.[/quote]

Yeah, that silly public can get kind of toutchy about vigilante justice. I mean if the Roman Catholic Church can't advocate beating someone up for "desecrating" a piece of bread, which you claim to be the substance of your God, then are any of us really free?

What a disgrace.

[quote]Who here would not physically stop him from desecrating the Eucharist if they were in the same room as him while he was about to do it. Anyone?[/quote]

Hello!

Perhapse I'm a bit odd, for some reason I would not beat someone within an inch of their life for desecrating a wafer that a Priest prayed over.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Hassan' post='1670745' date='Oct 5 2008, 08:27 AM']Yeah, that silly public can get kind of toutchy about vigilante justice. I mean if the Roman Catholic Church can't advocate beating someone up for "desecrating" a piece of bread, which you claim to be the substance of your God, then are any of us really free?

What a disgrace.

Hello!

Perhapse I'm a bit odd, for some reason I would not beat someone within an inch of their life for desecrating a wafer that a Priest prayed over.[/quote]

uhh...maybe we should rough you up for blaspheming all over our Catholic board here! Nice job Hassan, bite us when we bring out the truths of Islam, but have no problem insulting our Faith!

I thought you were pretty cool, but it turns out...you just smell of elderberries!

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hassan' post='1670745' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:27 AM']Perhapse I'm a bit odd, for some reason I would not beat someone within an inch of their life for desecrating a wafer that a Priest prayed over.[/quote]

Either you're incredibly ignorant or you've been ignoring every thread here regarding the Eucharist throughout the duration of your membership.

[quote name='Darky']Would punching up the kid be a fruitful thing to do? We want to Dominique to repent and aquire salvation, not lead him further away from the Church. Wouldn't he recieve the belting he deserves at the time of Judgement? Also he does own a lot of weapons (see video #31) wacko.gif Would belting the kid prevent him from acting further on these desecrations or only inkindle more hatred and miss-understandings? [sic][/quote]

:yes: Exactly. IAWTC. However...

[quote name='Hassan']Perhapse I'm a bit odd, for some reason I would not beat someone within an inch of their life for desecrating a wafer that a Priest prayed over.[/quote]

And that, honestly is what separates Catholicism from other religions. That *is* Jesus for us, you know that. I wouldn't "beat someone within an inch of their life," no (see the above quote from Darky--pacifism is fun), but if someone was talking smack on your mother, you'd defend them, wouldn't you?

It all comes down to respect.

How do you expect to gain credibility and respect, if you disrespect what Catholics hold dear?

You have to earn respect, it's not a given.

TeresaBenedicta

I wouldn't consider it "beating someone up". I would do all that was in my power to stop desecration. In the same way I would do all that is in my power to protect my family and friends.