An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bishop Approves Physical Defense Against Eucharist Desecrators

CatholicDefender

My thoughts:

1) All this desecration that has come to public light lately tells me that we need to stop the "communion in the hand" and allow only "communion on the tongue".

2) Many priests will actually watch to make sure that communicants will actually consume the Body before they proceed back to the pews.

3) I mentioned this to my associate pastor, and I will say it again: have the KofC stationed at the communion stations with their swords. They can serve as honor guard and deterrant.

4) If someone actually tries to break in to the tabernacle, then I would have no qualms about using any legal physical means to restrain them. All I would be doing is preventing vandalism.

CatholicDefender, since you are in the Navy may I assume that you were at Great Lakes when this bishop mentioned this to you?

CatholicDefender

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1670868' date='Oct 5 2008, 03:11 PM']CatholicDefender, since you are in the Navy may I assume that you were at Great Lakes when this bishop mentioned this to you?[/quote]

No i'm just home for the weekend. :D

If presented with an imminent threat against the Eucharist, yes a quick sweep to the leg and a bend of the wrist to relieve him of the property he has STOLEN would be appropriate, but outside of a few aches for the 5 minutes thereafter, he would be unharmed. But that's using minimal violence to protect imminent danger to Church property. This whole brooding over hurting this kid is what disturbs me. It reeks of unGodly vengeance. "'Vengeance is mine' says the Lord." When it comes to violence, you gotta keep your cool, otherwise it will easily go too far. Any obsession with violence is GUARANTEED to find itself under a demonic influence, especially when it has "righteous" motives (where blind faith and blind hatred can blur). Being in the military I would expect you to know how unpredictable and intoxicating the thought of violence can be for a person, even a faithful Christian. Stay sober against your negative feelings. Besides, everyone knows the real tough guys are the ones who don't talk about it. BEING tough is enough for them.

Edited by abercius24

Ash Wednesday

[img]http://goatmilk.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/nuns_with_guns_big.jpg[/img]

Posting the obligatory nuns with guns picture. Carry on.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

yes, anything with revengeful motives (rather than preventative motives) is unacceptable. but I wouldn't blame a mob of people for jumping on him if he did something in a public place with a lot of Catholics around; and I don't mind spreading Dominique Poulin's information around so that what he has done in public will be known by the public he knows in real life; I do not expect that anything will happen to him but if his neighbor were to go beat him up I would not consider myself to blame; I merely made known to more of the public that which he publicly broadcast.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1670965' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:45 PM']This whole brooding over hurting this kid is what disturbs me. It reeks of unGodly vengeance.[/quote]

Agreed. Christ did not torment or harm those who inflicted such suffering on his body during his passion; I do not see why so many here are focusing on harming those who profane his body now, detestable as it may be.

princessgianna

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1670868' date='Oct 5 2008, 02:11 PM']My thoughts:

1) All this desecration that has come to public light lately tells me that we need to stop the "communion in the hand" and allow only "communion on the tongue".

2) Many priests will actually watch to make sure that communicants will actually consume the Body before they proceed back to the pews.

3) I mentioned this to my associate pastor, and I will say it again: have the KofC stationed at the communion stations with their swords. They can serve as honor guard and deterrant.

4) If someone actually tries to break in to the tabernacle, then I would have no qualms about using any legal physical means to restrain them. All I would be doing is preventing vandalism.[/quote]
i like it! u bring up good points! i like the KofC idea above the rest though i have to admit that could lead to interesting results :duel: :))

[quote name='Hassan' post='1670745' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:27 AM']. . . desecrating a wafer that a Priest prayed over.[/quote]
The Eucharist is the Body of Christ and not simply a "wafer."

As far as the topic of this thread is concerned, it is merely hearsay.

My first reaction was:"Of course you can use violence to defend the Holy Eucharist!".
But then I considered how Our Lord forbade His apostles to use violence to defend Him when He was arrested.
It's a hard one; but I think we have to follow Our Lord's example rather than our hearts.