An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psych

Autumn Dusk

I was wondering about the TV show Psych.
If you aren't familiar with its about a guy with spectacular observational abilities. He is able to sovle crime this way and save lives. However, in order to get people to believe him he lies and sais he's a psychic.

Lets say that you (and I'm saying as if you were in the situation) had a good intuition and other talents that you could use to save lives. But no one would believe you unless you called your gifts "psychic" that involves two immoral behaiviors. One lying on your part, and two leading others into believing they were consulting a psycic which is a sin.

I always felt the premise was a little shakey... at this point he could just be straight up with them and say "i'm a great observational detective and I can help you this way" and they'd be cool. the first episode's premise made a bit of sense (they accused him of the crime he told them info about) but I really don't think they're going to accuse him of committing all these crimes he can solve.

of course... the point of it is that his personality loves that he can do things so independently and he loves the trickery and stuff... but yeah, the actual premise really wouldn't happen in real life, you could just show them how great you were at being hyper-observant

I dunno if anyone would actually believe you could be that hyper-observant, tho, atleast not to the point that you could solve a crime.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1671148' date='Oct 5 2008, 10:44 PM']It's just a cute comedy. I don't look into it any further. :)[/quote]

I find that a dangerous line of thought with current nighttime TV the way it is.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1671148' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:44 PM']It's just a cute comedy. I don't look into it any further. :)[/quote]
Yup, me too. I find it a hilarious show. I don't really care whether or not the premise is realistic or not.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1671368' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:42 AM']I dunno if anyone would actually believe you could be that hyper-observant, tho, atleast not to the point that you could solve a crime.[/quote]
Do it two or three times and they would.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1671369' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:44 AM']I find that a dangerous line of thought with current nighttime TV the way it is.[/quote]

WHat's dangerous about Psych? An adult comedy. If an adult can't see this as a fun little comedy, then they have no right wwatching tv at all. :lol_roll:

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1671368' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:42 AM']I dunno if anyone would actually believe you could be that hyper-observant, tho, atleast not to the point that you could solve a crime.[/quote]
what are they going to think? that you're responsible for a massive crime wave in California on a whole unrelated spectrum of crimes? lol... they'd have to believe it... and it's more believable than the psychic thing anyway. like I said, the first episode's premise made a bit of sense in that they could blame him for that one crime, but if he just started solving crimes that could in no way be related to him and explained to them each clue he saw, it wouldn't be a problem lol.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1671368' date='Oct 6 2008, 05:42 AM']I dunno if anyone would actually believe you could be that hyper-observant, tho, atleast not to the point that you could solve a crime.[/quote]

and so he says that he's psychic and expects them to believe that instead? I don't see much point to the show. I think there's a lot of evil shows out there, but I don't think there's anything overly intentional about this one. It's just dumb.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1671430' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:19 AM']what are they going to think? that you're responsible for a massive crime wave in California on a whole unrelated spectrum of crimes? lol... they'd have to believe it... and it's more believable than the psychic thing anyway. like I said, the first episode's premise made a bit of sense in that they could blame him for that one crime, but if he just started solving crimes that could in no way be related to him and explained to them each clue he saw, it wouldn't be a problem lol.[/quote]

but then it would be law and order/csi/ncis or one of eight million crime shows and not a funny, funny comedy.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1671430' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:19 AM']what are they going to think? that you're responsible for a massive crime wave in California on a whole unrelated spectrum of crimes? lol... they'd have to believe it... and it's more believable than the psychic thing anyway. like I said, the first episode's premise made a bit of sense in that they could blame him for that one crime, but if he just started solving crimes that could in no way be related to him and explained to them each clue he saw, it wouldn't be a problem lol.[/quote]
Well, an important part of why he (Shawn) doesn't reveal his real talents and become a "real" detective is because his dad was a cop and Shawn hated how his dad would always "train" him to use his talents. His dad always expected Shawn to follow in his footsteps and become a cop, but Shawn never wanted to. He keeps the psychic detective thing going because it fits his personality and maybe because he shows his dad and others that you can be totally unconventional and still get the job done.