An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can You Help Me With This Quote?

Selah

Sinners receive pardon by the intercession of Mary alone." St. John Chrysostom

A Protestant friend of mine pulled this quote out for me to see. It seems to trouble him. However, knowing that many Protestants take Catholic Dogma out of context, I want to know if there is anything else St. John wrote reguarding this? Was it pulled from a letter? Homily? I would like to read the whole thing to be sure it has not been taken out of context.

What did he mean by this quote?

Thank you!

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' post='1671656' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:53 PM']Sinners receive pardon by the intercession of Mary alone." St. John Chrysostom

A Protestant friend of mine pulled this quote out for me to see. It seems to trouble him. However, knowing that many Protestants take Catholic Dogma out of context, I want to know if there is anything else St. John wrote reguarding this? Was it pulled from a letter? Homily? I would like to read the whole thing to be sure it has not been taken out of context.

What did he mean by this quote?

Thank you![/quote]

St. John Chrysostom wrote quite a few writings, and many of those writings aren't accessible online. I've searched and have only been able to find the quote and not the source of the quote. My best advice would be to go to www.motherofallpeoples.org and ask Dr. Miravalle there as he is a Marian Theologian and is probably more familiar with the writings regarding this.

As for what he meant by this quote I believe it can be explained by how the Catholic Church views Mary in regard to Salvation History. Mary by her "yes" brought Christ into the world. She acts in Salvation History in a way that no other living person is or was able to participate. When Mary brought Christ into the world she was already interceding on our behalf before God. She put her own life in danger, because for a woman who wasn't married to be found with child would be stoned to death. In this way Mary was already interceding for the entire world. Because Mary brought Christ, the source of Salvation into the world, she intercedes for us in this way because there can be only one Mother of the Lord. Only Mary is the Mother of Jesus Christ, and only she interceded that way for humanity and brought into the world the source of Salvation, Jesus Christ.

I hope that helps,
Jennie