An Old School Catholic Message Board

Reversing Age Restriction For Drivers Licenses, And Alcoholic

White Knight

Switching the Age of Drinking and Drivers Licenses  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

+J.M.J.+
[quote name='notardillacid' post='1671903' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:35 PM']Drinking is like sex. Its gonna happen so why not teach safe-drinking classes in school and give out anti-hangover pills to minimize the suffering the kids go through. I mean if my daughter/son went drinking I wouldn't want them punished with a hangover. The schools have the responsibility of being the first teachers, so they must help protect them when they can't control themselves :)[/quote]
:hehe: nice ;)

here in my state, we have graduated licensing, so you don't get 'full benefits' so to speak when you are a teen. you get a permit for driving w/o an adult, driving during the day, then night, etc.

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1671903' date='Oct 7 2008, 02:35 PM']I mean if my daughter/son went drinking I wouldn't want them punished with a hangover.[/quote]
Hangovers. Werd.

[quote name='scardella' post='1672055' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:14 AM']I figured it'd be a bit much to require the person to be able to do this:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itxkKRTKIw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9itxkKRTKIw[/url][/quote]
The little rebel the military seems to think I am now wants to steal a car out in town and try that. Maybe try that right next to an elementary school playground...yes, I always get some good ideas going right after PT mornings. HOORAH PT!

Well, in some new England states State Troopers still run the Road Tests. Yet, they have much worse drivers (and many more dented cars) than NY, Penn, and NJ our northeast brethren.

I think it has to do with mindset and climate. No one needs to be driving around in Boston or NYC or any of those cities. Its a luxary and generally unnecessary. However just outside of Boston or NYC you encounter farmland. You NEED a car to survive. I think driving training should begin at age 14 and simply graduate at age 16 to a JR license and receive a full license at 18. I think two years of training (with perodic testing insted of one pass or fail) would do much more for driver education than 3mo's (before age 21) will ever do. Actually, before graduation from college and or first apt living maturity hasn't sunk in enough for driving to be anything less than a year long. We require teens to study 2 years of study proven good study habits before some AP courses, but we expect them to drive a car in three to six months? Anyone else find that bizarre?

Edited by Autumn Dusk

cmotherofpirl

I don't think ANYBODY should get a DL until they are 18 and can get their own car and pay for their own insurance. Teenagers maybe have good reflexes but lack judgement. No 16 year old should ever be behind the wheel of a 2000 pound projectile.
I think the legal drinking age should be 18 when you are with your parents in a restuarant, and 21 otherwise. What you do at home with your children on a holiday is up to the parents, but certainly no one under 12 should be drinking anything.

This probably sounds terribly strict, but as a mum I have seen too much tragedy already among my children's friends.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1672309' date='Oct 7 2008, 09:25 PM']I don't think ANYBODY should get a DL until they are 18 and can get their own car and pay for their own insurance. Teenagers maybe have good reflexes but lack judgement. No 16 year old should ever be behind the wheel of a 2000 pound projectile.
I think the legal drinking age should be 18 when you are with your parents in a restuarant, and 21 otherwise. What you do at home with your children on a holiday is up to the parents, but certainly no one under 12 should be drinking anything.

This probably sounds terribly strict, but as a mum I have seen too much tragedy already among my children's friends.[/quote]

Sounds reasonable to me. :popcorn:

White Knight

I believe the drinking age needs to be lowered, but moderated better, that way you cut down on illegal drinking by miniors, rather you get rid of the underage drinking entirally.

However if you lower the drinking age, teenagers souldn't be allowed to drive until 21 years of age.

Yes in some areas of this courty its easier than others, but in far spread out areas, its pretty hard, but I still think it can be done and needs to be done.

driving age should be 17.
drinking age should remain 21.

responsibility is hard to come by on a college campus--trust me, i know--and lowering the drinking age will NOT, i repeat, NOT help teach discipline in drinking.

as for drivers' licences--16 is tooooooo young. make it senior year.

I don't think its the age, its the lack of training. I'd trust a trustworthy 15 year old to drive if they'd had 2 years of extensive training. This really only happens on a farm, a kid driving a tractor or the old pickup to and from the barn....but anyway. They need to be proven drivers before driving alone...for atleast 2 years. Anyone under 21 needs to have been driving for atleast 2 years before they get their lisence. Its just ridiculous they can apply for a permit (after age 16) and turn around and take their test in a month some restricitions have been made by some states...but even 6 months is NOT long enough. That dosn't even begin to cover seasonal driving. (Road illusions and animals and pedestrians in the summer, snow and ice in the winter, chilly falls and wet springs)

Edited by Autumn Dusk

homeschoolmom

Actually, from what I've read, it is age.

I can't find it now (it's 6:30 am and I have breakfast to make), but from what I've read, new drivers who are 16 vs. new drivers who are 18 have many more accidents.

I think you make good points with the training, though. There's just no way to teach good judgement and experience. That's why it's good to have longer supervised driving. When we taught RussianGirl how to drive, she had to wait only six months before being able to test for her license. That means, in theory, a teen could have almost ALL of his/her practice time in this state without ever practicing in the dead of winter. Apr-Oct. does not have nearly the tretcherous driving that Oct-Apr. does. At least a year's worth of supervised driving would be better, imho.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1671927' date='Oct 7 2008, 03:32 AM']The driving age is never going to be changed to 21. Why? Because many states have rural populations and those kids are going to have to drive to support their families regardless of what the law says. I know back when I was coming of age to drive Virginia was going through a big hoopla debating whether or not to raise the age to carry a permit from 15 to 16. Most of the representatives against it were from the rural districts of the state. After I got my permit they finally decided to compromise and raise it to 15 and 3 months (seriously, after all that fighting they raised it a whole three months). The state legislature had acted like it accomplished something huge. :rolleyes:

Anyway, as for drinking I think 16 is too young. However, if you can take a bullet and die for your country I don't know why you can't have a beer. Make it 18 with parents having the right to determine if their children can drink in their homes.[/quote]

Many people live alone at 18.

cmotherofpirl

My daughter went out about 2 hours with her brother to learn driving, then went to take the test. We knew she would fail but it would be a good experience.
She passed. :shock: :crazy:
and now she drives humvees.

here you only have to hold your permit for 60 days to get your license if you get your permit after you turn 16. After that, you have to wait 90 days to drive other people under the age of 21 (actually, it could be 18, but i can't remember)

[quote name='havok579257' post='1672678' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:21 AM']Many people live alone at 18.[/quote]
And they would be able to drink under what i said. :)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1672638' date='Oct 8 2008, 07:45 AM']I think you make good points with the training, though. There's just no way to teach good judgement and experience. That's why it's good to have longer supervised driving. When we taught RussianGirl how to drive, she had to wait only six months before being able to test for her license. That means, in theory, a teen could have almost ALL of his/her practice time in this state without ever practicing in the dead of winter. Apr-Oct. does not have nearly the tretcherous driving that Oct-Apr. does. At least a year's worth of supervised driving would be better, imho.[/quote]

There is a difference between winter driving and summer driving?

What can I say? I'm in Florida.