An Old School Catholic Message Board

Elementary Teachers Or Hsmom- Teaching Printing/cursive ?

cmotherofpirl

Guest KateGladstone

Re:
"Are you familiar with the Orton-Gillingham method?"

I know people whom it definitely helped, and I know people whom it definitely harmed.

Re:
" ... research has shown that cursive promotes greater brain development in creating stronger connections between graphemes and phonemes."

Who researched this? When? Where? Can you provide a citation (even just an author and title), or even a link to a web-page that has the citation (or even the original research)?

Re:

" ... in my experience and the studies I read, there appeared to be a correlation between cursive handwriting and achievement in reading."

Which studies did you read that showed this? (Author? Title?) Did the studies (and your own experience/observation) compare the effects of cursive handwriting instruction with the effects of equal instruction in other styles of writing, or did the studies (and your own observations) just compare the effects of cursive instruction with the effects of no instruction?

Sorry, you had such a bad experience! I know that learning anything, considering the hostile environment many schools, is difficult when you have a learning disablity.
I don't have access to the files in my office as I am in school in another state, but I assure the research does exist. I'd advise you check out the Orton-Gillngham method. Sorry!
I do not support merely teaching cursive. I said that as used with the Orton method, children seemed to learn more quickly and with less frustration. However, it depends on the individual child.
[/quote]

JMJ

Yep - I'd have the little guy wait until 3rd grade.

As much as my students want to learn cursive, they gotta start with the basics in writing and print helps them in their reading skills and letter recognition.

Edited by melporcristo