An Old School Catholic Message Board

Election And Predestination

Selah

What do these verses mean?

"The Lord hath made all things for himself - [b]yea, even the wicked for the day of evil.[/b]" (Proverbs 16:4)

"18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. 19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honored use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What [b]if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,[/b] 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?" (Romans 9:18-24)

Can you guys help me with these verses? A Calvinist used these verses to prove double predestination...you know, that God predestines some to heaven and some to hell.

I just can't wrap my mind around it. It does seem to suggest it. Can you help? How does a Catholic view these verses?

[url="http://www.cuf.org/Faithfacts/details_view.asp?ffID=147"]This article[/url] is a pretty nice explanation of Catholic beliefs on predestination.

For lots more, click on the Phatmass "Defense Directory" above, and search for what you're looking for. "Predestination" comes up with lots of excellent links.