An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sharia Law In The Uk

mortify

Madame Vengier

[quote name='mortify' post='1673738' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:20 PM']Maybe it's just me, but I find radical Islam to be more threatening.[/quote]

Yeah, it probably is just you.

[url="http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/"]http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/[/url]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1673308' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:46 AM']I think the thing that riles people most is that this simply continues and fosters the seperatism that already exists. When you move to a foreign country, you accept [u]their[/u] way of life, and that includes their legal system. If you don't like it, don't move there. This will not foster peace, but simply further divide the nation.[/quote]
Amen, sister.

[quote name='mortify' post='1673738' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:20 PM']Originally I should have asked how Israeli settlements in the Middle east affect Britain but it would be besides the point. Again, I can't comment on what I know next to nothing about. The Israeli-Palestine issue is a complex one, however does it justify terrorism, especially terrorism against Western civilians? I'd say no. Personally I think this whole issue is largely a front for evil activities.

Maybe it's just me, but I find radical Islam to be more threatening.[/quote]

Palistine has long been a focal point of Arab Nationalism.

Look, contrary to MV's non-sense Islamic based terrorism, like most terrorist movements, are high complex. They are not monolithic, most terrorist groups/movements are highly splintered and act for numerous motives.

Talking about "Islamic Terrorism" itself is misleading

[quote name='Hassan' post='1673302' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:37 PM']As you live in the UK, do you have any insight on the Jewish Courts? Do you know how they have managed through the times.[/quote]
No, sorry, not much insight. Despite the fact the Beth Din has been around for a century here, you don’t hear much about it. :unsure: Actually, the only time I have seen a mention in the media was in relation to these events- articles comparing the Shariah courts with Beth Din. From what I understand, under Jewish law, civil disputes cannot be settled in secular courts, they must go to the Beth Din. I have heard of women who have been refused a divorce in Israel and have come to the London Beth Din HQ to get it accepted. Personally, I don’t see why they can have their courts ‘legalised’- they could have resorted to voluntary arbitration as well. My Jewish friends joke that it’s because the Beth Din is a less expensive option. But there is public opinion that the secular Jews secretly run things so you don't hear about their goings on, a view which many Muslims in the UK hold to be true.

I just don’t see the need for any legal pluralism. I agree with CMum said, obey the law of the land. We happen to live in a land where there is freedom to practice one’s religion, even if at times it seems it is more geared towards freedom from all religions. :sadder:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1673304' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:43 PM']I think what should also be noted is that the British Muslim population is, so far as I know, largely Pakistani. Now there are some wonderfull trends comeing out of Indian/Pakistani Islamic thought (particularly in the 20th century) however there are also a great many problems, particulalry with tribal custom being infused with Sharia and very conservative and rough lines of thought in their understanding of Sharia.[/quote]
While I can't generalise, there are many cultural problems too and a lot of disrespect for women, and the host country, which generates a lot of animosity on the streets. I have see many, many conflicts between Pakistanis and others including Indians, Bengalis, Africans, etc. My Muslim Pakistani friends were told they would be beaten or killed by their community if they married an African Muslim or even another Pakistani Muslim from the wrong family. These girls are very much in my prayers.

[quote name='misereremi' post='1674152' date='Oct 10 2008, 04:42 AM']No, sorry, not much insight. Despite the fact the Beth Din has been around for a century here, you don’t hear much about it. :unsure: Actually, the only time I have seen a mention in the media was in relation to these events- articles comparing the Shariah courts with Beth Din. From what I understand, under Jewish law, civil disputes cannot be settled in secular courts, they must go to the Beth Din. I have heard of women who have been refused a divorce in Israel and have come to the London Beth Din HQ to get it accepted. Personally, I don’t see why they can have their courts ‘legalised’- they could have resorted to voluntary arbitration as well. My Jewish friends joke that it’s because the Beth Din is a less expensive option. But there is public opinion that the secular Jews secretly run things so you don't hear about their goings on, a view which many Muslims in the UK hold to be true.

I just don’t see the need for any legal pluralism. I agree with CMum said, obey the law of the land. We happen to live in a land where there is freedom to practice one’s religion, even if at times it seems it is more geared towards freedom from all religions. :sadder:[/quote]

I suppose the benefit I can see is that if the UK knows there are going to be a great deal of Muslims and Jews who will want to have an abrogated decision it may be easier to set up courts that would follow thoses general guidelines.

who knows.

[quote]While I can't generalise, there are many cultural problems too and a lot of disrespect for women, and the host country, which generates a lot of animosity on the streets. I have see many, many conflicts between Pakistanis and others including Indians, Bengalis, Africans, etc. My Muslim Pakistani friends were told they would be beaten or killed by their community if they married an African Muslim or even another Pakistani Muslim from the wrong family. These girls are very much in my prayers.[/quote]

Yes, I read a Pakistani Anthropologist who stated that in many areas of Pakista the tribal mythology claims the be decendants of Abraham and their tribal customs are derived from his dictations. Therefore even if a tribal custom does not fit with Islam (like only marrying a select few nationalities) or even in direct conflict with Islamic norms it is allowed for them beause their customs come straight from Abraham.

I have a few Pakistani friends but theye practice a much more peacefull Islam.

Pakistani Islam can be extreamly peacefull with very strong Sufi/Universalist teachings, but there seem to be a lot of unfortunate mixing of conservative Islam an rather harsh tribal customs in some parts of it. :detective: