An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Five Non-negotiables

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1673946' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:23 AM']John McCain's affront to free speech did, in fact, target advocacy groups and organizations and individuals speaking on behalf of recognized interests. Including pro-life advocates. That's why Right to Life, and related pro-life groups spent the time and the money taking McCain's legislation to court. Wisconsin RTL headed up the lawsuit, and many of the details are archived at the [url="http://www.jamesmadisoncenter.org/WI/Index.html"]James Madison Center for Free Speech[/url].

The US Supreme Court ruled [url="http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/390323488.html"]in favor of Wisconsin Right to Life just last year[/url]. Thus, RTL won against McCain's legislation; and just in time for RTL to endorse the so-called "lesser of two evils." Ironic, isn't it?

Even as far back as 1998, while addressing the US Bishops, [url="http://www.catholiccitizens.org/press/contentview.asp?c=44718"]National Right to Life said of McCain's legislative philosophy[/url]: "the harm to our cause would be devastating." Pro-life groups have been fighting McCain's liberalism for at least a decade.[/quote]
You are missing the point. If you have a grievance against McCain-Feingold, it's a free speech issue, NOT a pro-life exclusive issue. Free speech is NOT a life issue. Free speech is a liberty issue. "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"... in that order.

[quote][url="http://web.archive.org/web/20060926070641/http://www.nrlc.org/news/2000/NRL02/doug.html"]National Right to Life also said of John McCain in 1999[/url]:[/quote]
Why stop at the 80s and 1999? Go back to the 60s and 70s! :topsy: You can keep quoting your moldy sources and I will quote modern sources, what McCain has become.

Oh wait, maybe your beef is with people who have taken pro-choice positions becoming more and more pro-life. Let's kick all ex-pro-choices out of the pro-life movement. You are the official arbiter of who is and isn't pro-life, who is "in" and who is "out."

[quote]After fighting McCain for some 10 years, the national RTL is only endorsing McCain because he is the so-called "lesser of two evils." But only barely. Obama is clearly stating that he supports abortion, while McCain is trying to paint himself a pro-life champion.[/quote]
Not only is the integrity of McCain questioned by you, but now the entire Right To Life organization. :rolleyes: With friends like these....

[quote]As for McCain's record, voting "yes" on other people's bills and claiming to be pro-life is just talk---mere words. I agree with Right to Life; a yes vote is just saying "me too" to other's legislation. It is only political posturing when there are no actions to back up the talk.[/quote]
A vote is just talk? It took a vote to pass the Born Alive Infants Protection Act. It took a vote to get pro-life friendly justices on the SCOTUS. It took a vote to pass the Unborn Victims of Violence Act. Seems like a vote IS action.

[quote]What has McCain actually done for the pro-life movement, other than say "me too" on the floor of the Senate and place the words "pro-life" on his campaign website? McCain hasn't written any pro-life legislation. He hasn't even been signatory to anything significantly pro-life.[/quote]
What has he done? He decided to run for the president of the United States and stand in front of a national audience and say without nuance or equivocating "Life begins at conception." He picked a pro-life vice-president. "Has taken no action." :rolleyes: You jest.

[quote]I can't do it. It's still too much evil for me. And we gotta draw the line at some point or we are going right off the cliff.[/quote]
Pray for some help. I know I will.

Check out [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj98ZxLSJbo"]this video[/url] starting from about the 4 minute mark till the end.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='qfnol31' post='1673500' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:44 PM']At least with McCain we won't gain a pro-abortion majority on the Supreme Court as we will with Obama.[/quote]

What do you base this on? What proof has McCain provided in his actions to convince you of this? You need to read Lounge Daddy's comments about McCain's "pro-life stance". He has made some excellent points. You are either not bothering to read them, or you're reading them and ignoring it.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1673287' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:05 AM']So help me please,

...who should a devout Catholic vote for? Who fills all the Catholic qualifications?[/quote]

You write someone in. That's what I'm going to do. A lot of people are leaning that way.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='rkwright' post='1673291' date='Oct 9 2008, 08:14 AM']First off you really should read the rest of my post. Second, I didn't say cloning was a flaw. I said John McCain's view on cloning was a flaw. Please don't twist words around; this is a serious issue and deserves thorough attention.[/quote]

I know what you wrote and I responded accordingly.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1674185' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:20 AM']You write someone in. That's what I'm going to do. A lot of people are leaning that way.[/quote]
Let me play devil's advocate and respond to that,

BUT OMGZZ!!!111! THAT MEANS WE ARE HELPING A BABY KILLERRR GET INTO OFFICE WE MUST VOTE FOR JOHN MCCAIN OR ELSE BABIES GET SLAUGHTERED IN THE STREET WTIH SCISSORS IN THEIR HEADZZZ!!11!

/end devil's advocate.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1674185' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:20 AM']You write someone in. That's what I'm going to do. A lot of people are leaning that way.[/quote]

AMEN

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1674185' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:20 AM']You write someone in. That's what I'm going to do. A lot of people are leaning that way.[/quote]
For president or some other office?