An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ok, How Did This Happen?

flip

The number of abortions in the United States decreased dramatically during the 1990s According to data from the Allan Guttmacher Institute, abortions fell by 18% from 1990-2000. Funny thing is - very little legislation on abortion changed during that time. AND our president was Bill Clinton from 93-01... who was a PRO CHOICE president.

HOW DID ABORTIONS DECREASE DURING A PRO CHOICE PRESIDENCY?

That doesn't make much sense.

check the info: [url="http://www.catholicsinalliance.org/files/CACG_Final.pdf"]http://www.catholicsinalliance.org/files/CACG_Final.pdf[/url]

Economic issues?

I believe most women have abortions because they think they can't afford the pregnancy and child.

Ash Wednesday

One of my personal beliefs is that while many people will remain "pro-choice", many are becoming more squeamish about clinical abortions. I believe this is with the advent and improvement of technology, such as things like ultrasounds and methods of prenatal care.

That being said, though, people still have flawed attitudes about life beginning at conception. They don't want to view it as a matter of natural law or objective right or wrong. I think many people cling to the "pro-choice" movement not because they really think legal abortion is a good thing -- they just don't want to give any leeway or victory to "those religious nutjobs."

And even though later term abortions are not something people are necessarily as comfortable with these days, there are still many abortions that occur at the hands of abortion pills like the morning-after pill, and mainstream birth control pills.

Ash Wednesday

I would also like to point out that I have seen arguments floating around about the reduction of abortions during Clinton's presidency as opposed to Bush Jr's presidency -- I don't think these kinds of statistics can be entirely reliable, as we are only comparing two presidencies and it would be more reliable to make observation over an extended period of time.

I do not think that a pro-choice politician should be rewarded with our vote in any case. Pope John Paul II has stated that we have a grave obligation to oppose such direct intent, efforts and legislation.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1673170' date='Oct 9 2008, 01:44 AM']When did the abortion drug come on the market? Perhaps that accounted for some of the difference.[/quote]
My thought exactly. Fewer abortions in the 90s? How are the abortions counted? Just the traditional medical procedures? Not good enough.

Archaeology cat

The number of abortions has continued to decrease, slowly, under Bush as well (see [url="http://www.factcheck.org/society/the_biography_of_a_bad_statistic.html"]link[/url]).

I would imagine a decrease under Clinton would be due to both economic & RU-486. Though I just read that RU-486 wasn't approved until 2000, at the end of Clinton's term, so maybe not. I had thought it was approved before then, but guess I was wrong.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1673236' date='Oct 9 2008, 04:41 AM']The number of abortions has continued to decrease, slowly, under Bush as well (see [url="http://www.factcheck.org/society/the_biography_of_a_bad_statistic.html"]link[/url]).

I would imagine a decrease under Clinton would be due to both economic & RU-486. Though I just read that RU-486 wasn't approved until 2000, at the end of Clinton's term, so maybe not. I had thought it was approved before then, but guess I was wrong.[/quote]
check and mate.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1673236' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:41 AM']I would imagine a decrease under Clinton would be due to both economic & RU-486. Though I just read that RU-486 wasn't approved until 2000, at the end of Clinton's term, so maybe not. I had thought it was approved before then, but guess I was wrong.[/quote]

approved by the FDA or Congress??

I can't envision any serious compilation of abortion statistics that doesn't take account of RU-486. It's regulated and easy to track. Why would you think it's not included?

I responded without having looked at the study Flip linked to. That document not a simple compilation of statistics, it's an analysis of the causes behind the trends, so I'm not sure "How did this happen?" is really a question...

According to the study, there are two variables which significantly affect the abortion rate: (1) the amount of government support provided to pregnant women and women with children, (2) the employment rate of men. Capping welfare benefits at a certain number of children also notably increases abortions.

The footnotes were not included in the pdf, and I don't have time to track down all the sources, but it seems like a legitimate conclusion.

It is interesting to think about in the context of current presidential politics.

Lounge Daddy

RU-486 has been on the market[url="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/01/22/ST2008012200560.html"] since 2000[/url]. Was there a bigger push to show up at abortion clinics in the 1990s. And to educate young people?

Regarding our behavior and decisions, I would be the first to admit that we don't need the government to tell us what to do and what not to do. We do need to depend on the government to defend the people, including the pre-born.

Still, saying that "abortions fell by 18% from 1990-2000" we are talking year-to-year drops, right? That's different than overall abortion rates, which are now at the lowest rate ever.

Still, in recent years:
[url="http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/23/abortion-rates-drop-again/"]
"The rate of abortion has reached the lowest point since Roe v Wade, according to a study by the Guttmacher Institute and the LA Times."[/url]

In January of this year, [url="http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/080117/us-abortion-rate-falls-to-lowest-level-in-decades.htm"]"the U.S. abortion rate has reached its lowest level in three decades."[/url]

the point that it has continued under Bush is CHECK and MATE, why did it start under Clinton? I donno, maybe because our president doesn't have supreme power over every aspect of American life? you cannot juxtaposition Republican vs. Democrat very well here... it's not like the Democrat economic policies will lower abortion rates and republican ones will not (as has been seen, the abortion rate has been dropping ever since 1990.

the fact that it has dropped at a slower rate since 2000 is not an indictment of Bush's policies (there are many things which can be considered an indictment of Bush's policies, abortion rates are not one of them)... I mean, does anyone actually expect a continued steady decline down to zero while abortion remains legal? most people don't even expect a 0 level if abortion were illegal... so the more the rate drops, the less it has remaining to drop so it's probably going to slow down its decline at some point unless the American people are really starting to universally adopt huge amounts of virtue.

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1673382' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:26 PM']Still, saying that "abortions fell by 18% from 1990-2000" we are talking year-to-year drops, right? That's different than overall abortion rates, which are now at the lowest rate ever.[/quote]

According to the CDC, there were 1,429,427 abortions in 1990 and 857,475 in 2000.
that is 571,952 less abortions in the US from 1990-2000

839,226 abortions were performed in 2004. so, from 2000-2004, we saw a drop of 18,249.