An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 'nuculer' Option For The Two-party System

kenrockthefirst

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1675899' date='Oct 12 2008, 07:49 PM']So, are you advocating reverting to the archaic pronunciations of all words? How far should we go back.[/quote]
No, we should use the pronunciations based on the standard pronunciation of the English alphabet. I'm not against accents or different pronunciations IF THEY ARE CORRECT. Nucular isn't correct because the word is spelled n-u-c-l-e-a-r. If you can somehow show me that it is permissible to spell nuclear n-u-c-u-l-a-r, then I will accept the pronunciation.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675905' date='Oct 12 2008, 07:57 PM']No, we should use the pronunciations based on the standard pronunciation of the English alphabet. I'm not against accents or different pronunciations IF THEY ARE CORRECT. Nucular isn't correct because the word is spelled n-u-c-l-e-a-r. If you can somehow show me that it is permissible to spell nuclear n-u-c-u-l-a-r, then I will accept the pronunciation.[/quote]

We are not talking about spelling, we are talking about pronunciation. Pronunciations change over time--different ones become acceptable, while others fade into history.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1675932' date='Oct 12 2008, 08:21 PM']We are not talking about spelling, we are talking about pronunciation. Pronunciations change over time--different ones become acceptable, while others fade into history.[/quote]
I understand that, but pronunciation follows spelling, so it is a matter of spelling. I understand the differences in pronunciations of words in regards to the sounds of letters and things related, but you still cannot show me why pronouncing a 'u' which is non-existent in the word is correct.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1674879' date='Oct 11 2008, 05:51 AM']I think that anyone who uses the word "doggone" is needs to go back to elementary school.[/quote]
Um, irony anyone? See, Palin, Sarah, vice-presidential debate, participant in.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1675871' date='Oct 12 2008, 08:49 PM']You said, and I quote:

I am from the south and the large majority of my friends do not mispronounce the word nuclear and never have.

By saying that, you have implied that people from the south are the only ones with accents, as per our discussion about the pronunciation of "nuclear" (which, by the way, it has been established that has multiple acceptable pronunciations).

Once again, you lose on this issue.[/quote]

I made no implications, that was your personal interpretation, sweetheart. I spoke from personal experience; the only experience I have to speak from. It isn't that complicated. It's called an [i]example[/i], and it differed from the "I have an accent so I can't speak properly" argument.

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1676180' date='Oct 13 2008, 10:44 AM']I made no implications, that was your personal interpretation, sweetheart. I spoke from personal experience; the only experience I have to speak from. It isn't that complicated. It's called an [i]example[/i], and it differed from the "I have an accent so I can't speak properly" argument.[/quote]

Only problem, sweetheart, is that we weren't discussing Southern accents--your example fails miserably.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1676223' date='Oct 13 2008, 01:09 PM']Only problem, sweetheart, is that we weren't discussing Southern accents--your example fails miserably.[/quote]

We were discussing accents in general, and then it developed into regional accents..again, it isn't complicated, I'm unsure why you are having such a hard time grasping it.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675940' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:24 PM']I understand that, but pronunciation follows spelling,[/quote]
Wednesday

Knife

Knight

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Winchester' post='1677873' date='Oct 14 2008, 10:09 PM']Wednesday

Knife

Knight[/quote]
In the Germanic languages, the "silent K" is pronounced as a voiceless velar plosive, which means it's a nasal sound rather than a pronounced sound. English went on to drop the sound all together, which is why it's silent.

That's a good example of how changes in pronunciation occur. However, the pronunciation of those words changed based on simplifying the existing sounds. Nuclear is still spelled n-u-c-l-e-a-r, all of which have a clear pattern of pronunciation. nuke-clear. There is no second U, no reason to add the sound and make it nuke-u-lar. That's an improper pronunciation. If you want to pronounce it like that, you need to change the spelling to include the extra sound.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675108' date='Oct 11 2008, 04:16 PM']That's a difference in the sounds of letters. That doesn't change the fact that there is no second 'u' in nuclear.[/quote]
I'm talking about Pockiston, not Nukyaler.