An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 'nuculer' Option For The Two-party System

kenrockthefirst

Fidei Defensor

There is no excuse for mispronouncing nuclear. It is not spelled n-u-c-u-l-a-r. If it was, it would be pronounced "nucular." It is, however, spelled, n-u-c-l-e-a-r and thus pronounced "nuclear." It's pretty straight forward, and in this case, it is wrong to pronounce it otherwise.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1673425' date='Oct 9 2008, 02:43 PM']... but some people have different ACCENTS than you and do not naturally pronounce it. actually, due to the bigotted snobbery of people like you, there are actually schools for people wanting to go on national TV that help them adopt the neutral accent that doesn't make people think that they're stupid just because of the way that they speak.[/quote]

It's true. I'm sorry to say I've always been happy I didn't pick up an accent. People here a "yall" and they assume the individual a bigot.

bigotry is right, that's what is being promoted here, just like people who assume Bush is an idiot because he cannot speak "correctly".

I agrea Palin is a bit dim, that has nothing to do with her accent.

BTW, did anyone see "A Beautifull Mind"?

I'm sure Nash would be delighted to know that despite his profound contributions to Game Theory, mathematics, and relativity theory he is actually an ignorant moron because he had a think West Virginian accent.

This is such non-sense

Well, I don't know about youse guys, but as Archie Bunker once said "nobody who don't speak no good English oughta be de-exported outta here".

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1673522' date='Oct 9 2008, 05:33 PM']and who makes you the authority on that? the Pittsburgh regional accent has a lot of "incorrect" things in it. it is absolutely snobbish and you have proven my point that it is snobbish by saying that people who pronounce it "Warshington" are lazy, stupid, or uneducated because they don't try to alter the way they speak.

no, I didn't want you to call my father stupid. I figured it was such a RIDICULOUS proposition to consider someone stupid for speaking the way they were raised to speak stupid that you wouldn't even think it a possibility. this is a large part of the basis of much of the racism in the world... ebonics considered to be "uneducated" even though it actually carries the phonetic structure of the West Coast of Africa and is equally as grammatical as standard english. you simply have a narrow minded point of view about different pronunciations. the tyranny over language which makes it so rigid is an absolutely wrong-minded idea... I'm not saying a free for all destruction of all grammar, but the diversity of pronunciations (from Warshington to nucular to y'all) is something that ought to be embraced among anglophones but we're so deeply rooted in the snobbery of the elites that we consider certain accents and pronunciations to be "lazy" or "uneducated"... it is an absolutely repulsive way of thinking about language. I mean, I love standard english myself (especially in writing), but it is a wrong-minded idea to think that pronoucing things wrongly makes you uneducated, especially if you're pronouncing them in a way that a large percentage of the anglophone populace pronounces them.

it repulses me that anyone can seriously think an opinion like this is remotely supported by anything intelligent... it is an emotional knee-jerk reaction based upon the snobbery surrounding the education you were brought up in... it's part of the trend towards uniformity that is going all around the world destroying diversity; ie first nationalism (which tries to create uniformity through heavy handed government school systems) then globalization.[/quote]
[quote]Right. Regional accent is a "you say po-TAY-to, I say po-TAH-to" type of thing. "Nucular" is just wrong.[/quote]
We'll have to agree to differ.

For y'all being such huge supporters of the tolerant, all inclusive, liberal left, y'all sure are acting prejudice right now against dialects and cultures who are not exactly like y'alls.

We say nuke-ya-ler in Texas, and that's the right way to say it down here, so if you don't like it, stay out of Texas.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674182' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:10 AM']For y'all being such huge supporters of the tolerant, all inclusive, liberal left, y'all sure are acting prejudice right now against dialects and cultures who are not exactly like y'alls.

We say nuke-ya-ler in Texas, and that's the right way to say it down here, so if you don't like it, stay out of Texas.[/quote]
I know. Speaking correctly is so [i]fin de siècle[/i].

Anyway, sorry Daniel Webster, but we're kickin' y'all to the curb. Standards? What are those? Rock on. :punk:

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1673789' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:36 PM']There is no excuse for mispronouncing nuclear. It is not spelled n-u-c-u-l-a-r. If it was, it would be pronounced "nucular." It is, however, spelled, n-u-c-l-e-a-r and thus pronounced "nuclear." It's pretty straight forward, and in this case, it is wrong to pronounce it otherwise.[/quote]
Wednesday.

[quote name='SpareTime' post='1673453' date='Oct 9 2008, 03:26 PM']The accent copout does not work here. I am from the south and the large majority of my friends do not mispronounce the word nuclear and never have. You have to actually rearrange the letters of the word to pronounce it the "bush way".. it is not about accents. Please. And expecting the president of the united states to sound educated and not like a hick is not bigoted or snobbish. How ridiculous..your angry knee-jerk reaction to the criticism of improper pronunciation is shocking.[/quote]
So we should stop speaking with regional accents? Your assertion that it's not an accent has no merit. Anecdotal evidence does not an argument seal.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674191' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:33 AM']I know. Speaking correctly is so [i]fin de siècle[/i].

Anyway, sorry Daniel Webster, but we're kickin' y'all to the curb. Standards? What are those? Rock on. :punk:[/quote]
Your argument has failed. Obama pronounces Pakistan "Pockistan". I guess this makes him stupid, since you seem to be advocating one culture, one dialect, and one accent--and considering we live here in America, Merriam-Webster clearly has the [b]correct[/b] pronunciation:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan[/url]

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674239' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:12 AM']Your argument has failed. Obama pronounces Pakistan "Pockistan". I guess this makes him stupid, since you seem to be advocating one culture, one dialect, and one accent--and considering we live here in America, Merriam-Webster clearly has the [b]correct[/b] pronunciation:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan[/url][/quote]
At least he is pronouncing the right letters. A can be pronounced two ways, hard a or soft a. There is no second u in nuclear.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674239' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:12 AM']Your argument has failed. Obama pronounces Pakistan "Pockistan". I guess this makes him stupid, since you seem to be advocating one culture, one dialect, and one accent--and considering we live here in America, Merriam-Webster clearly has the [b]correct[/b] pronunciation:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pakistan[/url][/quote]
With respect, weak.
[quote]Right. Regional accent is a "you say po-TAY-to, I say po-TAH-to" type of thing. "Nucular" is just wrong.[/quote]
I am not advocating "one culture, one dialect, and one accent," simply the correct pronunciation of the word "nuclear." I mean, in science class, would it be acceptable to say the "nuculeus" of the cell or the "nuculeus" of the atom?

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1674259' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:39 PM']At least he is pronouncing the right letters. A can be pronounced two ways, hard a or soft a. There is no second u in nuclear.[/quote]
there's no r in washington or wash... but pittsburghers say warshington and warsh... nothing wrong with it.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1674270' date='Oct 10 2008, 10:13 AM']there's no r in washington or wash... but pittsburghers say warshington and warsh... nothing wrong with it.[/quote]
Technically, they are wrong. Adding letters to a word is not accent, it's just wrong. Accent would be pronouncing letters with a different sound than what is standardly used.