An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 'nuculer' Option For The Two-party System

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1673350' date='Oct 9 2008, 12:55 PM']I attended a run-of-the-mill elementary school and, doggone it, I *can* pronounce "nuclear."[/quote]
Yeah. I can pronounce "I don't know." But, iono. I choose not to. I also say "elemen-tree," even though I am fully capable of pronouncing that extra "tary" syllable. I imagine most people are in the same boat as me on that one. Whatever.

Regardless, that's a really, really, really stupid way to evaluate any person. Really stupid. Not saying you're stupid, but that's quite a cheap shot on your part.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674260' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:47 AM']With respect, weak.

I am not advocating "one culture, one dialect, and one accent," simply the correct pronunciation of the word "nuclear." I mean, in science class, would it be acceptable to say the "nuculeus" of the cell or the "nuculeus" of the atom?[/quote]

If you have an accent, yes it would. Or if English is not your native language, as you might see with Professors in university. Otherwise, you better come and tell my Nobel Laureate professor what a moron he really is.

And too bad for those of us with speech impediments, we're apparently grouped as morons since we can't always speak clearly.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674191' date='Oct 10 2008, 07:33 AM']Anyway, sorry Daniel Webster, but we're kickin' y'all to the curb. Standards? What are those? Rock on. :punk:[/quote]

Funny you should bring up Mr. Webster. I expect you to pronounce words according to his first edition. If you fail to do so, you are a moron.

kenrockthefirst

This is awesome! I going to go to my planning board and tell them that I want to put an addition on my house that's not according to code because, hey, that's "how we roll" in my neighborhood. Awesome! Thanks, "y'all."

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674306' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:10 AM']This is awesome! I going to go to my planning board and tell them that I want to put an addition on my house that's not according to code because, hey, that's "how we roll" in my neighborhood. Awesome! Thanks, "y'all."[/quote]

How is that even remotely similar? You're grasping at straws.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1674308' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:11 PM']How is that even remotely similar? You're grasping at straws.[/quote]

Normally, that is what one does when that is all they have to begin with.

It's a silly (and quite insulting) argument for one to make. As I've heard before when discussing Obama, don't use stupid arguments when there are plenty of good ones to make. I believe this applies to both ends of the scale.

Edited by CatholicCid

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1674308' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:11 PM']How is that even remotely similar? You're grasping at straws.[/quote]

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1674313' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:15 PM']Normally, that is what one does when that is all they have to begin with.

It's a silly (and quite insulting) argument for one to make. As I've heard before when discussing Obama, don't use stupid arguments when there are plenty of good ones to make. I believe this applies to both ends of the scale.[/quote]
The operative word is "standards." You're - or perhaps I should say "your" or perhaps even "u r" - not for them, apparently.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674316' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:18 AM']The operative word is "standards." You're - or perhaps I should say "your" or perhaps even "u r" - not for them, apparently.[/quote]

Using the correct word, and pronouncing it are two very different things.

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674316' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:18 PM']The operative word is "standards." You're - or perhaps I should say "your" or perhaps even "u r" - not for them, apparently.[/quote]

No, I'm all for them. I am also for charity and realize that there are other factors to take into account on many situations.

Edited by CatholicCid

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674316' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:18 PM']The operative word is "standards." You're - or perhaps I should say "your" or perhaps even "u r" - not for them, apparently.[/quote]
The "proper standard" is to capitalize proper nouns, which you don't do, [b]k[/b]enrockthefirst. Moron?

By the way, although Merriam-Webster has no explanation why Obama mangles the pronunciation of Pockiston, it does list [b]BOTH[/b] pronunciations of nuclear:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear[/url]

kenrockthefirst

Ultimately, we'll have to agree to differ. Clearly, "y'all" are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. We have bigger fish to fry.

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674345' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:47 PM']Ultimately, we'll have to agree to differ. Clearly, "y'all" are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. We have bigger fish to fry.[/quote]
Well, at least we can both agree that your standards have been downgraded to opinion.

What exactly is your opinion on this matter? From your posts and the article you posted, I was getting the vibe "If you can't pronounce a word correctly, you're a moron."

Short answer please, a long dissertation isn't necessary.

Edited by CatholicCid