An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 'nuculer' Option For The Two-party System

kenrockthefirst

goldenchild17

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674344' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:44 PM']By the way, although Merriam-Webster has no explanation why Obama mangles the pronunciation of Pockiston, it does list [b]BOTH[/b] pronunciations of nuclear:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear[/url][/quote]

yup:

Pronunciation:
\ˈnü-klē-ər, [b]ˈnyü-, ÷-kyə-lər\ [/b]

According to most of ya'll the second webster pronunciation could not happen because there is no E in between the C and the L, yet webster has at as one of the standards.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1674352' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:58 PM']yup:

Pronunciation:
\ˈnü-klē-ər, [b]ˈnyü-, ÷-kyə-lər\ [/b]

According to most of ya'll the second webster pronunciation could not happen because there is no E in between the C and the L, yet webster has at as one of the standards.[/quote]

Well, clearly, this Webster you speak of is a moron.

:lol_roll:

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674346' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:50 PM']Well, at least we can both agree that your standards have been downgraded to opinion.[/quote]
;)

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1674347' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:50 PM']What exactly is your opinion on this matter? From your posts and the article you posted, I was getting the vibe "If you can't pronounce a word correctly, you're a moron."

Short answer please, a long dissertation isn't necessary.[/quote]
[quote]The manner in which a person speaks reflects upon them, just as the manner in which a person dresses or his or her table manners reflect upon them. The point is, Sarah Palin may be the smartest person in the world but you would never know it because she can't pronounce the word "nuclear." Maybe I'm being naive but in my simple worldview, minimal qualification for the presidency includes a modicum of education and ability to communicate.[/quote]

[quote]The manner in which a person speaks reflects upon them, just as the manner in which a person dresses or his or her table manners reflect upon them. The point is, Sarah Palin may be the smartest person in the world but you would never know it because she can't pronounce the word "nuclear." Maybe I'm being naive but in my simple worldview, minimal qualification for the presidency includes a modicum of education and ability to communicate.[/quote]

And yet it has been established that her pronunciation is acceptable. What does it say about how we should view you, who, in light of evidence still insists that your pronunciation is the only proper way? You must lack a modicum of education and any ability to communicate.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1674392' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:13 PM']And yet it has been established that her pronunciation is acceptable. What does it say about how we should view you, who, in light of evidence still insists that your pronunciation is the only proper way? You must lack a modicum of education and any ability to communicate.[/quote]
You can obviously draw your own conclusions. I couldn't possibly comment. :saint:

BTW, what the link dUSt provided states is: "Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \\-kyə-lər\\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president."

"Widespread use" does not imply proper usage. See "ax" for "ask."

Edited by kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674407' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:57 PM']You can obviously draw your own conclusions. I couldn't possibly comment. :saint:[/quote]

I tend to judge people by their own standards. Yours are failing you.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1674410' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:59 PM']I tend to judge people by their own standards. Yours are failing you.[/quote]
Not at all. I *can* pronounce "nuclear." ;)

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1674407' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:57 PM']You can obviously draw your own conclusions. I couldn't possibly comment. :saint:

BTW, what the link dUSt provided states is: "Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \\-kyə-lər\\ have been found in widespread use among [b]educated [/b]speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, United States cabinet members, and at least two United States presidents and one vice president."

"Widespread use" does not imply proper usage. See "ax" for "ask."[/quote]

You said that saying it with the "extra" [i]u[/i] was a sign of being uneducated. Apparently you're wrong. By your own standards, you are a moron.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1673522' date='Oct 9 2008, 05:33 PM']and who makes you the authority on that? the Pittsburgh regional accent has a lot of "incorrect" things in it. it is absolutely snobbish and you have proven my point that it is snobbish by saying that people who pronounce it "Warshington" are lazy, stupid, or uneducated because they don't try to alter the way they speak.

no, I didn't want you to call my father stupid. I figured it was such a RIDICULOUS proposition to consider someone stupid for speaking the way they were raised to speak stupid that you wouldn't even think it a possibility. this is a large part of the basis of much of the racism in the world... ebonics considered to be "uneducated" even though it actually carries the phonetic structure of the West Coast of Africa and is equally as grammatical as standard english. you simply have a narrow minded point of view about different pronunciations. the tyranny over language which makes it so rigid is an absolutely wrong-minded idea... I'm not saying a free for all destruction of all grammar, but the diversity of pronunciations (from Warshington to nucular to y'all) is something that ought to be embraced among anglophones but we're so deeply rooted in the snobbery of the elites that we consider certain accents and pronunciations to be "lazy" or "uneducated"... it is an absolutely repulsive way of thinking about language. I mean, I love standard english myself (especially in writing), but it is a wrong-minded idea to think that pronoucing things wrongly makes you uneducated, especially if you're pronouncing them in a way that a large percentage of the anglophone populace pronounces them.

it repulses me that anyone can seriously think an opinion like this is remotely supported by anything intelligent... it is an emotional knee-jerk reaction based upon the snobbery surrounding the education you were brought up in... it's part of the trend towards uniformity that is going all around the world destroying diversity; ie first nationalism (which tries to create uniformity through heavy handed government school systems) then globalization.[/quote]

I agree. I find accents very beautiful, and they are the basis of dialects which are in themselves very very beautiful.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1674344' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:44 PM']By the way, although Merriam-Webster has no explanation why Obama mangles the pronunciation of Pockiston, it does list [b]BOTH[/b] pronunciations of nuclear:

[url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear"]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuclear[/url][/quote]

Well, I'm pretty sure that Pakistanis would actually pronounce Pakistan "Pockiston". I'm not positive, but I really do think so...

Kenrock, the whole "nuculer"debate is stupid. Why are we even talking about it? Webster says it's ok, deal with it.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1674423' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:09 PM']I agree. I find accents very beautiful, and they are the basis of dialects which are in themselves very very beautiful.

Well, I'm pretty sure that Pakistanis would actually pronounce Pakistan "Pockiston". I'm not positive, but I really do think so...

Kenrock, the whole "nuculer"debate is stupid. Why are we even talking about it? Webster says it's ok, deal with it.[/quote]
OK, I throw in the towel. "Nucular" is fine by me.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1674259' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:39 AM']At least he is pronouncing the right letters. A can be pronounced two ways, hard a or soft a. There is no second u in nuclear.[/quote]
Wednesday.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1674272' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:23 PM']Technically, they are wrong. Adding letters to a word is not accent, it's just wrong. Accent would be pronouncing letters with a different sound than what is standardly used.[/quote]
Speaking is not spelling. No words are being added, but sounds.

"Standardly"?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1674423' date='Oct 10 2008, 09:09 PM']Well, I'm pretty sure that Pakistanis would actually pronounce Pakistan "Pockiston". I'm not positive, but I really do think so...[/quote]
Someone I knew who lived there for a long time pronounced it "Pockiston", but my Pakistani friends pronounced it somewhere in between the two pronunciations listed here.