An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chicago Proposes

BG45

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3167192/Chicago-plans-school-for-gay-students.html"]An article from the U.K. Telegraph[/url]

[quote]The head of Chicago's school system has proposed the creation of a "gay-friendly" high school to counter the high bullying, depression and drop-out rates among homosexual pupils.

The Pride Campus of Social Justice High School would be open to all students in the city, and would probably end up being "majority straight", said Arne Duncan, the head of Chicago Public Schools.

But it would provide a supportive atmosphere for gay pupils, using prominent gays and lesbians - including James Baldwin and Gertrude Stein - in its curriculum.[/quote]

More in the article itself. Thoughts?

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1673766' date='Oct 9 2008, 11:28 PM']I wonder what old Mayor Daley would have thought.[/quote]

"Are there more homosexual votes than Catholic votes? No? I hate it."

HisChildForever

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1673832' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:54 PM']Segregation? Perhaps we aught to just move all the gays to a ghetto as well. That would certainly put a crimp bullying.[/quote]

I don't know the right term, but this is reverse segregation. So straight kids can't go to these schools? or aren't welcomed? Discrimination, isn't it? Maybe we should have straight kid only schools.

[quote]The head of Chicago's school system has proposed the creation of a "gay-friendly" high school to counter the high bullying, depression and drop-out rates among homosexual pupils.

The Pride Campus of Social Justice High School would be open to all students in the city, and would probably end up being "majority straight", said Arne Duncan, the head of Chicago Public Schools.

But it would provide a supportive atmosphere for gay pupils, using prominent gays and lesbians - including James Baldwin and Gertrude Stein - in its curriculum.[/quote]

I don't have a problem with it.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1673983' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:00 AM']I don't know the right term, but this is reverse segregation. So straight kids can't go to these schools? or aren't welcomed? Discrimination, isn't it? Maybe we should have straight kid only schools.[/quote]

Before I moved, St. Pete was experimenting with black male only classes. The kids excelled. That didn't keep people from freaking out.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1673983' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:00 AM']I don't know the right term, but this is reverse segregation. So straight kids can't go to these schools? or aren't welcomed? Discrimination, isn't it? Maybe we should have straight kid only schools.[/quote]

I think the article said that straight kids would be allowed, it would just be gay "friendly". Personally, I think ending hate crimes--ALL hate crimes--is crucial today, but that doesn't mean segregate yourself to have others stroke your ego. A dear friend of mine is gay, and he faced a lot of teasing/harassment growing up, even before he was living the lifestyle.

Still, running away is not the answer. It almost comes off to me as elitist. In high school, people are bisexual or gay just because it's the cool thing to be--how many will "become" gay just to be able to call attention to themselves and go to the other school?

It's a bad idea.

I don't support any crazy idea of segregation either, but I do know a girl who graduated from my school last year, and when she was in high school, she had a really bad time because of the homophobic violence in her school. She was once even pushed down the stairs, because kids didn't like her because she was gay. And this was in the suburbs of chicago.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1673846' date='Oct 9 2008, 11:02 PM']People need to start praying for Cardinal Bernardin's intercession.[/quote]
Hmmm, I didn't really care for the man.

Maybe the Chicago public schools should focus on ways to improve their education rather than separate kids out. Gays will always be here. Bullying does not just happen to them, it happens to everyone. So should we segregate and have a school for obese kids because they get made fun of, have violent crimes committed against them? How about African-Americans? Although I see the reasoning behind it I really don't think that it is going to solve anything.

[quote name='picchick' post='1674261' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:49 AM']Hmmm, I didn't really care for the man.[/quote]

I've heard this from other folks too.. Why not?

[quote name='Didymus' post='1674263' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:51 AM']I've heard this from other folks too.. Why not?[/quote]

I just think that he closed his eyes to the things that happened within his own archdiocese, the seminaries and the churches.