An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chicago Proposes

BG45

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1673983' date='Oct 10 2008, 12:00 AM']I don't know the right term, but this is reverse segregation. So straight kids can't go to these schools? or aren't welcomed? Discrimination, isn't it? Maybe we should have straight kid only schools.[/quote]
[i]The Pride Campus of Social Justice High School would be open to all students in the city, and would probably end up being "majority straight", said Arne Duncan, the head of Chicago Public Schools.[/i]

Well, seeing that I live in Chicago and my alderman is one of the more socially conservative ones, I suppose I could write a letter or email to him, but I'm afraid I might come off as abrasive as one of his "gatekeepers" may take offense with my idea that this legitimizes immoral/disordered lifestyles.

However, this idea of having special schools for people with intrinsic disorders is not new; as I recall, there is one in New York - I think the name is Harvey Milk - that has been in existence for a few years.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1674263' date='Oct 10 2008, 11:51 AM']I've heard this from other folks too.. Why not?[/quote]

Some felt he did not take a firm enough hand with dissenters. One glaring example: Richard Phelan, who as Cook County Board President got rid of the ban on performing abortions at Cook County Hospital. Phelan also once was a seminarian - something he would point out in his campaigning - and was only a year or two away from being ordained. Shortly before the ban was lifted, he received a request to meet personally at the Cardinal's residence, and he went there expecting to be excommunicated. However, nothing happened.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='BG45' post='1673713' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:15 PM'][url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/3167192/Chicago-plans-school-for-gay-students.html"]An article from the U.K. Telegraph[/url]

More in the article itself. Thoughts?[/quote]

Hmm. I interviewed at two schools on the same campus as Social Justice High School: World Language and Multicultural Arts School (there are four schools in the same building). They were battling for me, actually. :lol: Social Justice expressed interest as well, but never offered an interview.

The campus is just a couple of blocks away from where I live, actually. It has a pretty cool story of how it was founded: hunger strike. Check out their website at [url="http://www.lvlhs.org"]www.lvlhs.org[/url]. It is still the school that I want to teach at for the rest of my career. It's your typical urban school with the typical urban challenges, but the kids really feel like they are stakeholders there. When I interviewed there, I had to teach a sample lesson, at which point the kids were asked to review me. They all compared me to the expectations that THEY had for their teachers (I am proud to say that I was up to par). It was pretty cool to see from an "inner-city" school.

In regards to the homosexuality thing; I'm not surprised in the least, seeing as how I live in the community that produced the school. It is predominantly Latino and is very Catholic (there are five or six parishes in the very small neighborhood), but it is still very "progressive". There are lots of good things that are going on there in the name of progress, like several community schools initiatives and so forth, but the entire community is really motivated by a kind of secular humanism. Again, the school was founded as the product of a hunger strike. The school is very pro-choice, pro-Obama, pro-gay just in general. But that is the climate as a whole in Chicago Public Schools.

Erm ... a point to the people concerned about segregation:

[quote]The Pride Campus of Social Justice High School would be open to all students in the city, and would probably end up being "majority straight", said Arne Duncan, the head of Chicago Public Schools.[/quote]

It won't segregate. Liberals are too inclusive to do that.

[quote]But it would provide a supportive atmosphere for gay pupils, using prominent gays and lesbians - including James Baldwin and Gertrude Stein - in its curriculum.[/quote]

Instead, it will indoctrinate.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1673832' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:54 PM']Segregation? Perhaps we aught to just move all the gays to a ghetto as well. That would certainly put a crimp bullying.[/quote]

LOL. Chicago has one of those. It's called Boys Town. And let me put it to you this way: I'm scared to walk around at night where I live. I'd be more scared to walk around at night there.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1674383' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:46 PM']Boys Town is considered a ghetto?[/quote]

"Ghetto" often conjures up an image of an economically depressed area (like the old Cabrini-Green area of Chicago), but it also refers to an area that is used to separate others. Historically, many major cities in Europe have had areas considered Jewish "ghettos" because the Jewish population would tend to live in that part of town, whether by choice or not.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='Didymus' post='1674383' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:46 PM']Boys Town is considered a ghetto?[/quote]

LOL. I didn't mean literally. :D

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1674355' date='Oct 10 2008, 01:59 PM']Instead, it will indoctrinate.[/quote]

You are a teacher who does not know the difference between a "supportive atmosphere" and "indoctrination"?

:detective:

:P

It has been really hard to be proud of Chicago the last month or so....first and foremost, because of Obama...then of course, we've got the Cubbies burning up very quickly...then this....

All I have to say in response to all of this is ... "How bout them Bears???"....

What can I say, I love my hometown of Chicago still ... just sometimes...

Edited by LivingStone

[quote name='LivingStone' post='1674584' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:57 PM']It has been really hard to be proud of Chicago the last month or so....first and foremost, because of Obama...then of course, we've got the Cubbies burning up very quickly...then this....

All I have to say in response to all of this is ... "How bout them Bears???"....

What can I say, I love my hometown of Chicago still ... just sometimes...[/quote]

Peraica for State's Attorney!!!

[quote name='Justin86' post='1674909' date='Oct 11 2008, 08:21 AM']I remember Chicago when I was in Corps School. I would go back there in a heart beat.[/quote]

Give me ample warning and a head start, OK?

(J/K)