An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chicago Proposes

BG45

VeniteAdoremus

I was bullied for being tall. My classmates once threw me down the stairs (snapping my wrist). And I'm not even talking about not fitting in the school furniture with the resultant back problems, breaking my leg without the PE teacher believing me, and not being able to see the clock during my final examinations because I was pushed in a corner in order not to block anyone's view (view on what, exactly? And I don't stick out while sitting down, by the way).

I want a school where all the teachers and students have to be tall. I think 6'0" for female and 6'4" for male teachers would be a fine minimum. We'll be studying the works of James Cromwell and Tim Robbins, which means all the kids will be brainwashed lefties, but at least they'll be unoppressed brainwashed lefties (apparently there aren't any tall conservatives... and as a plus, we can watch Star Trek movies as part of the curriculum)!

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether kids who are very tall for their age when they start secondary school stop growing and become average height. Should we expel them?

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1675524' date='Oct 12 2008, 07:57 AM']I was bullied for being tall. My classmates once threw me down the stairs (snapping my wrist). And I'm not even talking about not fitting in the school furniture with the resultant back problems, breaking my leg without the PE teacher believing me, and not being able to see the clock during my final examinations because I was pushed in a corner in order not to block anyone's view (view on what, exactly? And I don't stick out while sitting down, by the way).

I want a school where all the teachers and students have to be tall. I think 6'0" for female and 6'4" for male teachers would be a fine minimum. We'll be studying the works of James Cromwell and Tim Robbins, which means all the kids will be brainwashed lefties, but at least they'll be unoppressed brainwashed lefties (apparently there aren't any tall conservatives... and as a plus, we can watch Star Trek movies as part of the curriculum)!

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether kids who are very tall for their age when they start secondary school stop growing and become average height. Should we expel them?[/quote]

I agree. I want a school for the pathologically uncoordinated.

Now the only problem is: what if you're both excessively tall and pathologically uncoordinated?

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1675551' date='Oct 12 2008, 06:53 PM']I agree. I want a school for the pathologically uncoordinated.

Now the only problem is: what if you're both excessively tall and pathologically uncoordinated?[/quote]

Hm... exchange programs? Semester here, semester there?

It's hard...

The thing I find most strange is that, if, as they say, the school will be predominantly hetro... How do they know only gay-friendly teens will go there? Maybe their parents are gay friendly, but the kids may not be.

And then, do the straight kids who want to go there, do they tell their parents: "Hey, I want to go to a gay prominent school... I am not gay, I just like the idea."

I dunno, I don't see it as feasible.

Maybe the easier solution would be to have bully-friendly schools. We could send any kids caught bullying there, then there would be none left in the non-bully system. :rolleyes:

[quote name='prose' post='1675563' date='Oct 12 2008, 12:13 PM']The thing I find most strange is that, if, as they say, the school will be predominantly hetro... How do they know only gay-friendly teens will go there? Maybe their parents are gay friendly, but the kids may not be.

And then, do the straight kids who want to go there, do they tell their parents: "Hey, I want to go to a gay prominent school... I am not gay, I just like the idea."

I dunno, I don't see it as feasible.

Maybe the easier solution would be to have bully-friendly schools. We could send any kids caught bullying there, then there would be none left in the non-bully system. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Erm ... if I remember right, this school already has an application process in order to attend. Still a public school, though.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='prose' post='1675563' date='Oct 12 2008, 07:13 PM']The thing I find most strange is that, if, as they say, the school will be predominantly hetro... How do they know only gay-friendly teens will go there? Maybe their parents are gay friendly, but the kids may not be.

I dunno, I don't see it as feasible.[/quote]

I had the same thought. And even if all the kids are gay-friendly... they'll find some other reason to bully. It's a depressing thought, but it seems that bullying is inherent to schools.

[quote]Maybe the easier solution would be to have bully-friendly schools. We could send any kids caught bullying there, then there would be none left in the non-bully system. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ooh, I like that idea. We could call it the School For Young People With Over-Apparent Though Non-Existent Leadership Qualities.

Meh. My fourteen-year-old self hates me for saying this, but it's often the bullies who have the biggest problems.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1674581' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:53 PM']You are a teacher who does not know the difference between a "supportive atmosphere" and "indoctrination"?

:detective:

:P[/quote]

LOL. Knowing this school, they have an agenda. They respond to everything as a social injustice.

Many points that they raise are truly valid, however; hence the reason why I still want to teach at one of the four schools on that campus. Indeed, one motivation for having a pro-homosexual school that caters mostly to heterosexuals is to reduce the suicide/drug rate of homosexuals, which is a good thing. The problem comes in how far they take it, and the agenda that they produce in the classroom. Here is a list of lesson plan topics that teachers at this school and others like it use:

[list]
[*]Teaching Imperialism, Colonialism, and Racism in United States History: A Board Game About Columbus
[*]The Storytelling Project: teaching race and racism through storytelling and the arts
[*]DMZ: A Guide to Taking Your School Back from the Military
[/list]

And more. Again, they raise some good points. Heck, I strive to incorporate similar themes into my chemistry curriculum (harder, but still possible). What bothers me about it, though, is that it is alarmist-based (perhaps rightfully so), but moreso that it doesn't allow students to draw their own conclusions, and instead inculcates them in the alarmist philosophy without proper balance.

I guarantee that this pro-homosexual school isn't so much a "safe-haven" where gays can go to school that is only a "supportive environment". Instead, this is an environment where the teachers are actively pushing the homosexual lifestyle. That is what is more scary.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1675590' date='Oct 12 2008, 12:48 PM']LOL. Knowing this school, they have an agenda. They respond to everything as a social injustice.

Many points that they raise are truly valid, however; hence the reason why I still want to teach at one of the four schools on that campus. Indeed, one motivation for having a pro-homosexual school that caters mostly to heterosexuals is to reduce the suicide/drug rate of homosexuals, which is a good thing. The problem comes in how far they take it, and the agenda that they produce in the classroom. Here is a list of lesson plan topics that teachers at this school and others like it use:

[list]
[*]Teaching Imperialism, Colonialism, and Racism in United States History: A Board Game About Columbus
[*]The Storytelling Project: teaching race and racism through storytelling and the arts
[*]DMZ: A Guide to Taking Your School Back from the Military
[/list]

And more. Again, they raise some good points. Heck, I strive to incorporate similar themes into my chemistry curriculum (harder, but still possible). What bothers me about it, though, is that it is alarmist-based (perhaps rightfully so), but moreso that it doesn't allow students to draw their own conclusions, and instead inculcates them in the alarmist philosophy without proper balance.

I guarantee that this pro-homosexual school isn't so much a "safe-haven" where gays can go to school that is only a "supportive environment". Instead, this is an environment where the teachers are actively pushing the homosexual lifestyle. That is what is more scary.[/quote]

What do you mean "pushing" it? Are you saying the teachers coerce students to have homosexual relationships?

As for the lesson plans, I see nothing wrong with them. I never once had American Imperialism taught in my classroom.

Any classroom is, to some extent, indoctrination, I just don't see anything here that indoctrinates than any other school. I'd be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on it though as you said you were applying there.