An Old School Catholic Message Board

Experience With Guitar?

Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1675592' date='Oct 12 2008, 01:00 PM']Any recommendations for a metronome or tuner?[/quote]
uhhh. one that clicks evenly and one that knows what an A 440 is (440 being the Hz, the cycles the A string plays... though the open A on the guitar cycles at half... /physics moment)

Srsly though, I have an electronic metronome... funnest thing ever.they can be really simple, others can be really complex. simplex would be preferable. Sorta the same with Tuners. Just get a Chromatic tuner... one with an LCD display or whatever. mine has a dial like on a speedometer which shows how close to the pitch you are. (to the left of the dot means flat, to the right means sharp). They shouldn't be too expensive. ask around.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

You might want to look in to getting a digital tuner/metronome. They make them two in one nowadays.
I've used this one before and it seemed to be pretty good:
[url="http://www.thebandroom.biz/01_item_action.php?id=222"]http://www.thebandroom.biz/01_item_action.php?id=222[/url]

Above all have fun with this. Desire can make up for a serious lack of talent, so just go for it. I started playing piano about 10 years ago with no experience and am still in lessons, so it is possible!! And my first song was House of the rising sun also!! Enjoy.

Yeah, anyone can learn at any walk of life. People don't have to start violin at 3... srsly. (grumble grumble... sry... a sort of pet-peeve of mine)

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Go to a local guitar shop and ask for the CD and books that the proprier recommends. They're really likely to then help you if you have questions.

Also, just break down and buy an electric tuner. Good ones are more expensive than what you paid for the guitar, but they're worth it especally when you're new.

If its a steel string acoustic or electro acoustic then experiment with pick softness and size until you can get one that is comfortable and produces a nice sound. For me, the easiest and most general pic is the red turtle pick.

Spring for the Elixer strings every now and then. They hold up REALLY well.

And practice, practice, practice. Its a very gradual process but practicing will make the difference between being a person with a guitar and a person who can play the guitar. With a wife, house, kid and job you'll never be led zeplin. Facing that fact early helps, too.

It's like... deliciousness on a stick when you restring your guitar :love: Such awesome sounds.

Btw, get some help re-stringing your guitar. first couple times around I found when I strung my high E, it would always bust on me after a couple days. My friend strung it, and he showed me that you have to stretch the string as you wind it in. Looks a bit like an art if you ask me. You'll cross that bridge when you get there, though.

some people here may remember me as a decent guitarist.

personally, i taught myself. mostly just with tabs to learn songs and the physical part. after a school guitar course(didnt learn much there) i decided to follow up on the scales and chord stuff by myself. which has been slow going but i have a pretty good handle on how it all works now, still learning some theory.

i wouldnt recommend learning by yourself unless you have a lot of drive. my friend started at the same time as me, and 4 years later, he doesnt know scales, how to improvise, jam, make up songs or play a steady rythm.

most people tend to get frustrated that the songs they are trying to play don't sound correct b/c they can't play it right just yet. don't let that be a reason to quit. stay with it. practice as much as humanly possible...even if thats just 5-10 mins a day. it will make a huge difference. but do it DAILY, if possible. if its a habit you are in, you will learn much, much faster.

i never had the opportunity to take lessons, but i have been playing for over half my life now...14 years this february! i really wish i knew more. i love playing guitar. have fun!

Edited by corban711

Well, it went pretty good, its just realllly expensive so I don't know how long I will be able to take classes in this economy. The instructor taught me posture, how to hold the guitar, the strings and notes, how to tune the guitar, and started playing some notes on each string. My fingers hurt, and the tendons in my arm are sore, but it isn't all that bad.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1679456' date='Oct 16 2008, 10:10 PM']Well, it went pretty good, its just realllly expensive so I don't know how long I will be able to take classes in this economy. The instructor taught me posture, how to hold the guitar, the strings and notes, how to tune the guitar, and started playing some notes on each string. My fingers hurt, and the tendons in my arm are sore, but it isn't all that bad.[/quote]
Go to your church organist and see if she can lend you some of her old guitar accompaniment sheets from the hymnal and pick a really easy song that you can sing. Then simply learn and preactice the chords.