An Old School Catholic Message Board

Warn Others About "conversations With God" And The One For T

foolishmortal

foolishmortal

I was sent an article about this. James Dobson apparently has attacked it already.

One has a girl (I'm guessing the teen one) asking why she's a lesbian and "God (the author makes it like God is telling them these things)" says that it's genetics and she should celebrate her difference.

this next line is a quote from the article, which didn't come with a link.

Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin. His reply 'I do not
forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive. There is no such thing
as right or wrong and that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do
not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another and this is wrong,
because the rule is ''judge not lest ye be judged.'
Not only are these books the false doctrine of the devil, but in some
instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

[quote name='foolishmortal' post='1675532' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:48 AM']I was sent an article about this. James Dobson apparently has attacked it already.

One has a girl (I'm guessing the teen one) asking why she's a lesbian and "God (the author makes it like God is telling them these things)" says that it's genetics and she should celebrate her difference.

instances quote (in error) the Word of God.[/quote]

So ... there is no such thing as right or wrong, but ... it's wrong to judge people?

Edited by mommas_boy

foolishmortal

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1680533' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:16 AM']So ... there is no such thing as right or wrong, but ... it's wrong to judge people?[/quote]

It's kind of like the silly rules by George Carlin (I used to listen to his shows a long time ago and I'm only 33) for sports. Remember, those are my rules. I made them up. He's joking, but many do not. For example, Oprah talks about how Christianity has too many rules (and she was not even Catholic, though Baptist, which can be pretty conservative) and how that and the jealous God thing turned her off in her 20s. About the rules thing. There would be anarchy in everything if not for rules. Sports and language are two major things most believe have rules. If you break 'em, you get in trouble and/or thought, ignorant. With minor superficial external modifications, it could be said they have a matter and form. Most classic languages seem to be corrupted these days in pop-culture, but there's the formal form, anyway. Being man-made, these things are not as tightly held in place as dogma is. Somehow, many rules are only a problem in religion. Sports and religion don't disallow one from drinking too much or premarital sex, for a couple examples. Maybe that wasn't on Oprah's list of reasons, but I'm sure they had to be things she was ok with to be put off by them. I don't think there's total radicals. Even radicals are conservative about libertine ways being a choice in society and even made law. (their laws). It remains to be seen what they'll do when pedophiles start banging on the gate to be allowed into full communion with mainstream society.

About jealousy, she still thinks God, being a jealous god (lowercase for her as she is into new age believing and who knows if she worships anyone else's gods or holds them as equal contemporaries), would be jealous of her. If one gave birth to and took care of a child all his/her life and the child chose another, who seems more fun and admonishes him/her only to not stop pleasing him/herself, to raise him/her, the real parent would be jealous. She would know we are God's children. Of course God would be jealous if we worship another and has full rights to us, but gives us freedom. I don't believe any church has prevented anyone from deciding to worship an idol, but preaching another religion or egotism or bringing about evil into a Christian home or nation by idol worship with the items, occult magic, bad books, etc. is another issue. Of course, then again, inviting demons into yourself by apostasy and false worship of God or true worship of a false god could spread the evil around by unintentional malice by trying to get others to join. In any case, burning and mock trials are not the way, whatever might need to be done about it. My point is, one could simply stop praying and you can't police that; just dangerous actions to others. Since misery enjoys company, that could come very soon afterwards.

Back to the rules. I was hearing one expat (I'm an American trying unsuccessfully to teach English in S. Korea) say to another about how he was reading how to disassociate himself with the rules of religion, government, etc.. There's something called anomie that says the confusion and loneliness of such an endeavor can lead to suicide. It was hard for me to be a geek in school and as a guy, later, to have no interest in watching sports or their stats--especially on Thanksgiving Day. Heath Ledger pretended to be crazy as The Joker and, well, tried too hard. You can't be any more disassociated from all common thought than a character like the Joker was. Jack Nicholson had nightmares too in being that character and he had been "Jack" in "The Shining", but he fortunately, did not succumb. I think these "Rhode Scholars" from colleges think the Buddhist monks or Confucianists, Taoists, etc. are at peace and don't believe in opposites being exclusive of each other, but they cannot be inclusive of the anithesis to their beliefs, as the martyrs they made of Christian martyrs at times makes evident (though it doesn't make most likely to persecute). They do have their rules for enlightenment or how would they expect to do that?

I remember reading in this booklet called "How to Stay Catholic in College" about the theory of relativity. Saying "there is no truth" refutes itself because by saying that then the "there is no truth" is not true either.

[quote name='mommas_boy' post='1680533' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:16 AM']So ... there is no such thing as right or wrong, but ... it's wrong to judge people?[/quote]
:rolling:

Gotta admire logic like that.

This stuff reminds me of some other religion out there pronounced "buhigh" or "vuhigh." (I don't know how to spell it. A class of mine was just talking about it.) It's a fast growing religion saying that one can get into heaven through many paths but must follow their way in order to do so. (Contradictory, isn't it?) They seek to convert priests and nuns to their faith. Anybody know anything more about it (other than how to properly spell it?)

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1682118' date='Oct 20 2008, 07:41 PM']This stuff reminds me of some other religion out there pronounced "buhigh" or "vuhigh." (I don't know how to spell it. A class of mine was just talking about it.) It's a fast growing religion saying that one can get into heaven through many paths but must follow their way in order to do so. (Contradictory, isn't it?) They seek to convert priests and nuns to their faith. Anybody know anything more about it (other than how to properly spell it?)[/quote]

:bump:

Archaeology cat

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1682118' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:41 AM']This stuff reminds me of some other religion out there pronounced "buhigh" or "vuhigh." (I don't know how to spell it. A class of mine was just talking about it.) It's a fast growing religion saying that one can get into heaven through many paths but must follow their way in order to do so. (Contradictory, isn't it?) They seek to convert priests and nuns to their faith. Anybody know anything more about it (other than how to properly spell it?)[/quote]
Are you talking about the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahai"]Baha'i[/url] faith?

Edited by Archaeology cat

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1686078' date='Oct 25 2008, 03:55 PM']Are you talking about the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahai"]Baha'i[/url] faith?[/quote]

Yes, that's it. I know a girl whose a Lutheran and her uncle is like the "pope" figure in that faith. She wants to learn more about it (but isn't looking into converting to it.) She's just curious about it. I'll send her the link.

[quote name='foolishmortal' post='1675532' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:48 AM']I was sent an article about this. James Dobson apparently has attacked it already.

instances quote (in error) the Word of God.[/quote]
ugh, those books... I picked up the first "conversations with God" a couple of years ago, and I had to restrain myself from grabbing a red pen and crossing out everything that was wrong... there was a LOT. and I didn't even read that much.

when you said james dobson was attacking it, what was the "it" you were referring to? the books?

Edited by Brigid