An Old School Catholic Message Board

Guidance Counselors And Vocations?

Maria Faustina

Maria Faustina

Dear Pham,

I am in a bit of a dilema right now. Sometime this week I have to go talk with my guidance counselor about my four year high school plan. And since right now my plan doesn't include all four years of high school, I have to tell her why I am interested in graduating a year early. And the reason I want to graduate early is my vocation. I go to a public high school and my counselor is probably not even close to being Catholic, so what should I say to her? I definetly want to tell her about what I have planned after high school, but I don't really know how to. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

In Christ,
Maria Faustina

You will not be finishing high school??? Why, if you don't mind my asking. A minimum of a high school education should be mandatory for whatever you may choose in life.
You do not have to give details. Plan for the four years, you do not know where life will take you and what path you will be following. Are your parents aware? If you are considering religioius life, not sure who would accept you without graduating high school. That should be required.

If you read her post extra carefully you will see where she talks about graduating a year early. So she [b]will [/b]be finishing, just really fast! :)

I would just be up front with the guidance counselor. In a public school they should really not be able to treat you weirdly just because of your religious choices. They are supposed to be willing to help you with any plans, be they college, going to work, entering the military etc. She or he may express concerns that you may be missing out on electives or on social milestones or be under too much stress trying to get out a year early. And they are all valid concerns of course - would it really harm your vocation too much to wait that extra year? Many communities prefer people in their 20s with some college or work experience to kids right out of high school, because the view is that teenagers really have a lot of internal turmoil and don't have the level of maturity needed to make a permanent choice.

I agree with Maggie's comments above, be open and forthright. I sense that you want to share your desire for religious life with your counselor as a way of evangelizing... all the more power to you. We'll be praying for the Holy Spirit to guide your conversation.

DominicanPhilosophy

This makes me happy, Maria Faustina. ;) You have my prayers.

I would do what the above posters suggested: be open and up-front, and I don't know how the public school system will handle it or what the "rules" are, so I suppose just play it the way you have to, and maybe don't mention the reason *why* you'd like to graduate early until they ask. Again, I don't know how far you're allowed to bring religion into the conversation, but obviously it would be something necessary to mention when they ask about it, which I'm sure they will.

Honesty is the best policy. As a Guidance counsellor, she'll probably be very knowledgable, atleast with regards to graduating in under four years. You may be pleasantly surprised. Say a prayer and don't be afraid.

That's amazing. I think you'll be a great witness to the faith when you tell your guidance counselor about your plans of religious life. You'd be surprised how inspired a person will get just by hearing about or especially knowing someone who will be entering into religious life. My prayers are with you! :)

Depending on how serious and far along you are in your religious discernment, I think it would be wise to graduate early, especially if your parents support your decision. Even if convents don't allow you to enter until you're in your twenties, at least you could have work experience and free time to be with your family, and also more time for prayer and visiting communities. I don't think you'll regret graduating high school early.

So tell us how it went. I was in a counseling session recently at my secular college and we ended up talking about my own vocational journey. The counselor was really interested and impressed. Let's hope that the same goes for you.

Maria Faustina

Thank all of you for your advice! I did talk to my counselor-and she said if I want this bad enough, I'll work for it, and if I work hard enough I'll get it! She is being supportive to my decicion. She was completely blown away with my reason for graduating early, and said the passion I had for my dreams and goals was very commendable. I don't think it could have went any better! Thanks so much guys!!! It looks like Nashville isn't so far away after all!

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1680875' date='Oct 18 2008, 10:12 PM']Thank all of you for your advice! I did talk to my counselor-and she said if I want this bad enough, I'll work for it, and if I work hard enough I'll get it! She is being supportive to my decicion. She was completely blown away with my reason for graduating early, and said the passion I had for my dreams and goals was very commendable. I don't think it could have went any better! Thanks so much guys!!! It looks like Nashville isn't so far away after all![/quote]

:bigclap: Are these the Nashville Dominicans of which you speak?

Maria Faustina

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1682546' date='Oct 21 2008, 04:11 AM']:bigclap: Are these the Nashville Dominicans of which you speak?[/quote]

Yup, I think the Nashville Dominicans are the ones :) :)