An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nun, 106, To Vote For Obama

Vincent Vega

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675968' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:45 PM']And yet, there are still conditions to what constitutes a mortal sin, which include culpability. Unless you know for a fact that she meets all the requirements, I'd suggest you stop accusing her of planning to commit a mortal sin.[/quote]

It is a mortal sin to vote anit-life. If she votes for Obama she votes anti-life and commits a mortal sin.

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1675971' date='Oct 12 2008, 10:47 PM']It is a mortal sin to vote anit-life. If she votes for Obama she votes anti-life and commits a mortal sin.[/quote]

But it's still wrong to wish that she dies before she votes - joking or not. Instead you should pray that she has a change of heart.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1675971' date='Oct 12 2008, 08:47 PM']It is a mortal sin to vote anit-life. If she votes for Obama she votes anti-life and commits a mortal sin.[/quote]
And you know for a fact that she is culpable? Do you even know what that word means? I understand your statement about voting anti-life, but that has nothing to do with whether or not she is culpable - aka, understands the gravity, knows whether or not he is pro-choice, knows anything about McCain (who, btw, is also anti-life in many ways.) She's 106 and living in Rome and you somehow know perfectly the state of her soul and her ability to judge.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1675973' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:50 PM']But it's still wrong to wish that she dies before she votes - joking or not. Instead you should pray that she has a change of heart.[/quote]

I wish nothing, I pray the will of God be done. God's will could very well be that she dies before committing the mortal sin of voting for a death candidate. Being the age of 106 there is a great danger that she would die right after voting, without the chance of repentance. This is the fear of those accused of 'wishing' her dead. Because they understand that her mortal soul would be greatly endangered to the fires of hell which would be far worse than anything on earth. That type of thinking is not wrong.

106? She's old enough to remember when all the lefties in this country fell in love with Mussolini. And when all the so-called "progressives" thought that Hitler had some great ideas.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1675974' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:51 PM']And you know for a fact that she is culpable? Do you even know what that word means? I understand your statement about voting anti-life, but that has nothing to do with whether or not she is culpable - aka, understands the gravity, knows whether or not he is pro-choice, knows anything about McCain (who, btw, is also anti-life in many ways.) She's 106 and living in Rome and you somehow know perfectly the state of her soul and her ability to judge.[/quote]

From the article...

"Sitting in her modest office in the convent where she has lived for the
past 50 years, the diminutive nun appears uninterested in the row inside
the American Catholic church over Senator Obama's support for pro-choice
policies on abortion. "

Regarding the exchange going on between Fidei Defensor and KoC:

Fidei: KoC is right; it only takes on mortal sin to separate her from God. We can only pray this doesn't happen to this poor sister.

KoC: It took me reading Fidei's posts a few times to think of this, but he has a point about culpability here. She [i]is[/i] 106 years old. We can't be sure of how sharp her wits are. We can't be sure of much of anything about her, really. Pray!

And I'm with HisChildForever on this one. Never pray for anyone's death. You might not like the answer you receive.

If her ballot hasn't reached her yet over in Italy, I'm not sure it actually has time to get there for the election anyway. I already voted weeks ago by absentee. Of course, I did one of those federal write in things since I don't trust my local government to send me my ballot in time (the last time they sent me a ballot it was for a local election and it didn't arrive till after that election was over).

Of course maybe I'm wrong and it still has plenty of time to get there. In either case, my local government in the States still s[i][/i]ucks, and I still don't trust it. Oo-rah federal write-ins!

Edited by Justin86

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1675978' date='Oct 12 2008, 09:55 PM']I wish nothing, I pray the will of God be done. God's will could very well be that she dies before committing the mortal sin of voting for a death candidate. Being the age of 106 there is a great danger that she would die right after voting, without the chance of repentance. This is the fear of those accused of 'wishing' her dead. Because they understand that her mortal soul would be greatly endangered to the fires of hell which would be far worse than anything on earth. That type of thinking is not wrong.[/quote]

Strange that a 106 year old Nun liveing in the Vatican has no idea that voteing for Obama is a danger to her immortal soul.

She might be surrounded by left-wingers whose only concern is "social justice".
The killing of innocent babies is of no importance to them.
Anyway, let's pray for this poor nun, that she may do the right thing!

Ash Wednesday

Being that I am overseas I'm doing the write-in thing, too. I know who I won't be voting for, but I don't know who I am going to actually vote for, though.

I have a question for those of you who brought up her dying prior to election day: wouldn't her intent to vote for Obama be just as grave and morally problematic as actually going through it? Not that I'm presuming to know the state of her soul -- God only knows. But I was just wondering what the difference is.

Maybe the poor woman is senile.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday

To be honest, I'm actually not terribly surprised -- it is highly likely she gets her information primarily through European news sources and television. Ain't much Fox News over here, dudes. :P

Much of the press and editorials here in Europe are highly tilted in favor of Obama, and they generally don't make much of a secret of it, either.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1676021' date='Oct 13 2008, 12:07 AM']Strange that a 106 year old Nun liveing in the Vatican has no idea that voteing for Obama is a danger to her immortal soul.[/quote]

She lives in a convent in Rome, but not in Vatican City itself, which differs considerably from it's Roman exterior. If this was being reported live from within Vatican walls with L'Osservatore Romano via the BBC, all hell would probably break loose.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1676092' date='Oct 13 2008, 07:11 AM']wouldn't her intent to vote for Obama be just as grave and morally problematic as actually going through it?[/quote]

That's what I was thinking.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1676141' date='Oct 14 2008, 12:11 AM']Maybe she's lost a few marbles.[/quote]
Don't you mean she lost a few decades of her Rosary?