An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marriage Question

Dust's Sister

Archaeology cat

[quote name='scardella' post='1682578' date='Oct 21 2008, 03:46 PM']Men = pants
Women = barefoot and pregnant

Any questions?

:tomato:[/quote]
:lol: When I announced my pregnancy to my family, I sent them a picture of me standing barefoot in the kitchen. :hehe:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1683314' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:43 AM']:lol: When I announced my pregnancy to my family, I sent them a picture of me standing barefoot in the kitchen. :hehe:[/quote]

Did you also include some text in the email, or did you all know that a picture of you barefoot in the kitchen would be enough to convey the message by itself?!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1683404' date='Oct 22 2008, 03:34 PM']Did you also include some text in the email, or did you all know that a picture of you barefoot in the kitchen would be enough to convey the message by itself?![/quote]
Yes, I did have some text. The caption was "Barefoot. . . in the kitchen". My brother called me immediately to ask if it meant what he thought it meant. :lol:

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1683515' date='Oct 22 2008, 09:25 PM']Yes, I did have some text. The caption was "Barefoot. . . in the kitchen". My brother called me immediately to ask if it meant what he thought it meant. :lol:[/quote]

Excellent!! :lol_roll:

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1682863' date='Oct 21 2008, 06:23 PM']Watch yourself. You might get pwn'd for that.[/quote]

I'm willing to risk it... :smokey:

[quote name='-I---Love' post='1685377' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:22 PM']scardella - I just noticed your status and would like to say Congrats!! That's really awesome!![/quote]

Oops.. I just realized that's 3 months out of date! It's now up to date!

[quote name='Hassan' post='1680799' date='Oct 18 2008, 08:14 PM']?

The Bible is a product of it's times.

It isin't into women's lib for the same reason it doesn't evidence any knoledge of the physical universe or geography or anything beyond what it's constituent believers would have known at the time the various books were written.

I think that is the most fair answer anyway[/quote]

The Bible, especially the gospels, was/is radical. This includes women's lib. Jesus healed the women with the hemorrhage (according to jewish law her touching him would make him unclean), Jesus spoke to women he didn't know (scandalous at the time), the first person he appeared to resurrected was a woman. By his actions, our Lord made a very clear effort to show he valued women equally, as intelligent spiritual people. If Jesus wanted to change anything else about gender roles, he would have. He clearly had no qualms about breaking social customs.

I like to think of myself as a feminist. I think there's a lot of people calling themselves feminists who are really anti-woman. Making women into men means one thinks there's something wrong with femininity. I don't think St. Paul wrote to sum up our gender roles, but to address what was missing because of concupiscence. I tend to think of the submission as allowing myself to be loved. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't be the only one who's terrible at receiving gifts (both immaterial and material ). It's a gift to the giver to receive the gift. So often I let my pride get in the way and deny my loved ones the joy of bringing me joy. Maybe that's not what St. Paul meant, but that's what I take from it.