An Old School Catholic Message Board

Research

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Hello everyone,

I am doing a paper comparing Traditionalists and "regular" (for lack of a better term) Catholics.

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to answer a few questions?

1. What problems do you see in the traditionalist movement? why?
2. Why are you not a traditionalist?
3. What are the main differences between traditional Catholicism and "typical" Catholicism? why?

feel free to write anything that speaks about why you are a Catholic or what you think is wrong with traditionalism?

I am doing a paper comparing Traditionalists and "regular" (for lack of a better term) Catholics.

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to answer a few questions?

1. What problems do you see in the traditionalist movement? why?

It depends which traditionalist movement you mean. If you mean the movement which disregards papal decisions or even dismisses the current pope as the true successor or Peter, then it is obvious that they are dismissing one of the most basic traditions, that of obedience. They are also generally arrogant, which of course is not an attack against their logical positions, but it does not help their cause.

2. Why are you not a traditionalist?

I am a traditionalist in the truest sense of the word, I believe that the traditions of reverence and solemnity during the liturgy should be maintained, and that most dioceses do a poor job of it. I also believe that we are subject to the Holy See, and that holy obedience is extremely important. The Church still upholds its traditions which it initiated in the 1st century.

3. What are the main differences between traditional Catholicism and "typical" Catholicism? why?

"Typical" Catholics do not know their faith, and therefore cannot be said to hold a position. That is the main difference.

feel free to write anything that speaks about why you are a Catholic or what you think is wrong with traditionalism?

there is nothing wrong with traditionalism, what is wrong is the way that you choose to define and use the word. True traditionalism includes fidelity to the Magesterium. By choosing to seperate themselves from full communion with the Church, many traditional groups become "traditional" when it comes to the liturgy only, and cannot really be said to be following the Catholic tradition.

1. What problems do you see in the traditionalist movement? The potential for conflict.

why? Because that's what happened after Vatican II reforms were first begun.

2. Why are you not a traditionalist? I don't like labels. I am a Latin-Rite Catholic, who completely supports the Pope and the Magisterium with my faith, my time, my tithe, and my life. That means I follow tradition as it is handed down to me by the Church Fathers who are guided by the Holy Spirit. Therefore, I am as traditional as any other Catholic can be, and that includes those who prefer the Extraordinary Form of the Liturgy.

3. What are the main differences between traditional Catholicism and "typical" Catholicism? I do not believe there is a difference. The "typical" Catholic attends mass in the ORDINARY form, thereby following the teachings of the Church, in the same way people have for 2000 years. That's pretty traditional.

why? I will answer this in the form of a parable. Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada. I'm not Canadian though, just married to one. I was home-sick all day. I was home-sick for a place and people that are no longer around. My perfect Thanksgiving is at my Grandmother's house in Enid, Oklahoma with my brothers and my cousins. My dad and I would hide out in the garage playing pool. My Grandparent's house is now a parking lot. My father and grandparents have been dead for well over 20 years. That doesn't mean that I don't long for that time and that place. It's warm and bright there. It can be warm and bright here too. It's never too late to make new memories.