An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics Attend Ecumenical Bible Study Groups?

tinytherese

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1677155' date='Oct 14 2008, 03:10 PM']Might be worth adding that, at least in my experience, Protestant Bible study groups tend to focus more on devotion, prayer, confession, and other practical matters that concern every Christian. Catholic Bible study groups (again, only in my experience) focus more on theology, apologetics, and knowledge. Few of my Protestant friends would have any problem with a Catholic coming to their Bible study who happened to wear a medal or believe different things about prayer to saints and the Eucharist. These things concern fundamentalists a lot more than they concern your average evangelical. So, what you'll likely find is not much in the way of learning what you're "up against," but you may just want to be open to the fact that they have the Holy Spirit too and actually do get a few things right.

That may all depend on where a particular group lands in the Fundamentalist-Evangelical spectrum.[/quote]

Spot on.

I would say no. I've seen too many people go to them and then fall away from the Catholic Church, and eventually from any sort of Christian faith.
If you want to study the Bible, you may as well be studying it right.

While I can see the value in attending one, I'd honestly have to say "probably not". Minus one Bible study, every one I've ever attended was filled with pretentious people who were more interested in pushing their values than God's.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1677200' date='Oct 14 2008, 05:14 PM']I would say no. I've seen too many people go to them and then fall away from the Catholic Church, and eventually from any sort of Christian faith.
If you want to study the Bible, you may as well be studying it right.[/quote]
That is definitely a danger, and I, too, have seen that. However, to be fair, when I've seen that happen it's been someone who perhaps wasn't as strong in their faith to begin with. I've also seen non-Catholics in an ecumenical group treat a Catholic as a "project" to convert away from the Church (and I've unfortunately seen that work). So yes, there can definitely be a danger, which is why I think it is better to attend a Catholic Bible study, or, if you are going to attend an ecumenical one, to be sure you are well-grounded in your beliefs. I doubt I'd go to an ecumenical one now, even being fairly well-grounded, because I'd probably get irritated, but that's me. :idontknow:

LouisvilleFan

Yeah, it is certainly a personal decision, and if you're unsure, it's probably best not to go. I continued attending a community group with people from my former Baptist church even after I became Catholic (in fact, there was also a married couple in our group who became Catholic at about the same time, but they had to move to Seattle). Being converts who had already been attending this Baptist church for several years, we knew exactly why we were Catholic, and we mainly continued going for the fellowship and Christian support (and we did have a monthly potluck, which I have to admit was a strong draw for me :lol: ).

Perhaps the one thing I really do miss about being Protestant is that sense of community and regular encouragment in prayer and devotion. While I attend Catholic Bible studies, and they are good (currently going through Fr. Pacwa's St. Paul study for the Pauline Year) for learning new material, gaining some insights, and building relationships, there isn't much emphasis on devotion and training in leadership. Of course, there's no reason we can't fill in these gaps... attending a Protestant/ecumenical study group would definitely provide some hands on experience so you could do the same sort of thing in your parish.

[quote name='Majella' post='1677115' date='Oct 14 2008, 02:57 AM']NO;NO;NO;!

It is hard enough to keep thye faith without compromising with protestants; try to keep the faith ; don't COMPROMISE!!!!!!!
Don't mix with protestants!!! (an ex-protestant!)[/quote]
Hello.
I don't post here much (I'll try to change that). I am a former fundamentalist Baptist preacher who returned to the Catholic Church last year. Your words remind me of the same words I heard out of the mouth of a rabid anti-Catholic fundamentalist preacher:
[quote]“Ignoring their lost state, being tolerant of their false doctrine, and [b][u]pretending they are one of us [/u][/b]is not going to help them get saved.”[/quote]

True, Catholics need to be strong enough in the faith so as not to be led astray by false doctrine. In fact the ones that are led astray are usually people who know little of their own Catholic faith.
However your choice of words, "mix with Protestants" sounds angry and bitter. Not all Protestants are anti-Catholic. Your words sound very much like the fundamentalists I once walked among. They called it 'separation'. Let me just quote from my blog:
If one believes that he or she has experienced what no other has (being “born again”), and possesses what others other than them could not possibly have (the Holy Spirit), it creates an elitist world-view that allows only those to whom we agree with, to enter.
Over the years I have heard “that person is now a (insert opposition group here), so I had to ’break fellowship’ with them” This is the fundamentalist doctrine of “separation”. A superior, elitist attitude of belonging to a privileged group. Those who do not belong to the group are called “unrepentant brothers and false teachers”
The problem is, that encompasses quite a population if one takes that to its logical conclusion. This encompasses people far beyond hated Catholics and liberals. It also includes people within their own ‘circle’ with whom they disagree. To belong to this ever shrinking circle becomes the object they strive for.
In rationalizing that Christians who don’t agree with you are all “compromisers,” they assume that is the indicator of true spirituality.
They truly believe they are superior. This theological “rigidity” is more important than all other factors. And sadly, there is a trail of broken relationships in their past that is blamed on the actions of the people they “separated” from. Tragically, these broken relationships include family members and former friends.
This completely went against how I was raised by my parents. We did not abandon family and friends based on disagreements or world-view. Jesus taught us to love one another, not to pick and choose whom we love.
I believe one of the reasons fundamental Baptists think this way has to do with living in a fantasy world of their own making. They look to a reality that never existed, and hope for a Utopia that never will exist. When struck by the fact that it does not, it destroys their illusions and they lapse into cynicism and depression. They deal with this by altering reality through 'separation' from whatever or whoever is not like themselves and an end-times fairy tale which allows them to press on in world that does not accept them.
“Fellowshipping” with a group who truly believe they are better than others can be a surreal experience. It leads logically to exclusion based on reasons that hardly fit into their “Biblical world-view”. Many times it is based on race, class, education, and sex.
The sad part is, the longer one “fellowships” with fundamentalists, “separation” from them becomes a relief.

Catholics are not like this at all.

cmotherofpirl

Most bible studying groups explicitly state that they consider the Bible their SOLE rule of faith, purposely excludung the role of the Church, and are therefore not appropriate for Catholics.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='JustaServant' post='1679854' date='Oct 17 2008, 11:59 AM']True, Catholics need to be strong enough in the faith so as not to be led astray by false doctrine. In fact the ones that are led astray are usually people who know little of their own Catholic faith.
However your choice of words, "mix with Protestants" sounds angry and bitter. Not all Protestants are anti-Catholic. Your words sound very much like the fundamentalists I once walked among. They called it 'separation'. Let me just quote from my blog:
If one believes that he or she has experienced what no other has (being “born again”), and possesses what others other than them could not possibly have (the Holy Spirit), it creates an elitist world-view that allows only those to whom we agree with, to enter.
Over the years I have heard “that person is now a (insert opposition group here), so I had to ’break fellowship’ with them” This is the fundamentalist doctrine of “separation”. A superior, elitist attitude of belonging to a privileged group. Those who do not belong to the group are called “unrepentant brothers and false teachers”
The problem is, that encompasses quite a population if one takes that to its logical conclusion. This encompasses people far beyond hated Catholics and liberals. It also includes people within their own ‘circle’ with whom they disagree. To belong to this ever shrinking circle becomes the object they strive for.
In rationalizing that Christians who don’t agree with you are all “compromisers,” they assume that is the indicator of true spirituality.
They truly believe they are superior. This theological “rigidity” is more important than all other factors. And sadly, there is a trail of broken relationships in their past that is blamed on the actions of the people they “separated” from. Tragically, these broken relationships include family members and former friends.
This completely went against how I was raised by my parents. We did not abandon family and friends based on disagreements or world-view. Jesus taught us to love one another, not to pick and choose whom we love.
I believe one of the reasons fundamental Baptists think this way has to do with living in a fantasy world of their own making. They look to a reality that never existed, and hope for a Utopia that never will exist. When struck by the fact that it does not, it destroys their illusions and they lapse into cynicism and depression. They deal with this by altering reality through 'separation' from whatever or whoever is not like themselves and an end-times fairy tale which allows them to press on in world that does not accept them.
“Fellowshipping” with a group who truly believe they are better than others can be a surreal experience. It leads logically to exclusion based on reasons that hardly fit into their “Biblical world-view”. Many times it is based on race, class, education, and sex.
The sad part is, the longer one “fellowships” with fundamentalists, “separation” from them becomes a relief.

Catholics are not like this at all.[/quote]

I, like... Need to make a poster out of this. Similar to text-heavy posters with inspirational sunsets for backgrounds. Only this is way better and actually important for people to hear!

Thank you. :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1680116' date='Oct 17 2008, 08:58 PM']Most bible studying groups explicitly state that they consider the Bible their SOLE rule of faith, purposely excludung the role of the Church, and are therefore not appropriate for Catholics.[/quote]

If it's truly an ecumenical Bible study, then they won't carry such a stipulation. Of course, always depends on the individuals involved and how cooperative they are. InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is one example of an evangelical campus organization that's truly ecumenical; their statement of faith doesn't claim the Sola Scriptura doctrine.

Not only that, but at their Urbana missions conference, which brings about 20,000 students from across the country every four years in St. Louis (used to be in Urbana, IL, hence the name), they even have Catholic priests who offer Holy Communion to Catholics who are in attendance. Not many evangelical groups are that accommodating :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1680716' date='Oct 18 2008, 09:34 PM']If it's truly an ecumenical Bible study, then they won't carry such a stipulation. Of course, always depends on the individuals involved and how cooperative they are. InterVarsity Christian Fellowship is one example of an evangelical campus organization that's truly ecumenical; their statement of faith doesn't claim the Sola Scriptura doctrine.

Not only that, but at their Urbana missions conference, which brings about 20,000 students from across the country every four years in St. Louis (used to be in Urbana, IL, hence the name), they even have Catholic priests who offer Holy Communion to Catholics who are in attendance. Not many evangelical groups are that accommodating :)[/quote]
I didn't realise that they did that at Urbana. One of my roommies went there at least once. I liked InterVarsity, when I was involved with them (back when I was still Baptist, actually).

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1680719' date='Oct 18 2008, 05:41 PM']I didn't realise that they did that at Urbana. One of my roommies went there at least once. I liked InterVarsity, when I was involved with them (back when I was still Baptist, actually).[/quote]

I went in 1999 or 2000, when it was still in Urbana. Funny thing is, I didn't know they offered the Eucharist either. My best friend from college, who is Baptist, told me they had priests there. Somehow I never noticed... shows how aloof I can be sometimes. :)

My college does have an intervarsity organization on campus. I was once asked by one of the participants (who is protestant and in fact the daughter of a protestant minister) if we as catholics believed in the perpetual virginity of Mary and I said yes. Then she went off on how in all of the denominations within christianity all expressed a different approach to God but that they were all good, holy, and basically took a relativistic approach to it.

I'm really not concerned about anyone claiming sola scriptura. It's the liberal and relativistic stuff that are the concerns.

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1676754' date='Oct 13 2008, 11:00 PM']What do you think?[/quote]

In general for the "average" Catholic I would not recommend them. If you are up on apologetics and solid in your church teaching as an evangelization venue, with much prayer I would say they could be attended, as long as they do not require you to agree with non-catholic theology. I see no real purpose in going to them as a means of trying to better understand the Bible as there are far better resources in the Catholic Church that are not so rife with errors and opinions. Pick up Knecht's Catholic Bible Commentary if you want to go deeper. Heck, read the Catechism. I don't recommend Little Rock however. It's wishy washy. I also think that a danger of being in a protestant study would be that one might tend to not speak out when things that are against Catholic theology are spoken in order to keep peace in the study. Our outlook on scripture is so different that you are bound to run in to these things.

By the way it is good to read the Churches decree on Ecumenism from Vatican II in considering these matters.

[url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decree_19641121_unitatis-redintegratio_en.html"]http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_council...egratio_en.html[/url]