An Old School Catholic Message Board

11:11 (significance?)

thegoodpippo

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1677390' date='Oct 14 2008, 04:21 PM']It's a Saturday.

It's Veterans' Day here.

No one reads/recites "In Flanders Fields"?[/quote]

Well yeah my analogy totally breaks down if you think about it. I was just saying it was better than stating it's a magical time full of fairy dust.

And at least in Arizona, Veteran's Day is pretty weak as far as remembrance goes. I think the biggest thing they taught me about it in school was that it was a 3 day weekend and traffic was pretty backed up leaving the city. Yet another thing we should all own up to..

I wear my poppy for the entire month of November. I'm a life member of the VFW Auxiliary, and it matters to me and to the generations of my family who have served proudly in every branch.

[quote name='prose' post='1679024' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:24 PM']Wow... Remembrance Day is pretty important here. There are celebrations everywhere about it.[/quote]

It's very much acknowledged.. and there are people who really go out of their way to make it special, I'm sure, but any holiday that isn't commercialized is pretty much a flop, here. Then again, this isn't the most united and cultured state in the union, so maybe other states have a different story.

[quote name='chloeaustyn' post='1679033' date='Oct 16 2008, 12:41 PM']It's very much acknowledged.. and there are people who really go out of their way to make it special, I'm sure, but any holiday that isn't commercialized is pretty much a flop, here. Then again, this isn't the most united and cultured state in the union, so maybe other states have a different story.[/quote]

In the general psyche that is. Flags get put up on main roads, our parish always has a nice blessing for all the veterans who stand up and now that I think about it we did have one assembly in 7th grade where all of our dads who were in the military came in for a few minutes.
But I wonder if 4/5 people would even be able to tell you what month it's in..

homeschoolmom

I've noticed that more seems to be done (ceremony-wise) here in the US for Memorial Day (in May) than Veteran's Day (in Nov.). Memorial Day (which used to be "Decoration Day") was started after the Civil War to remember those lost in the war. After WWI it was expanded to all war casualties. Now, however, it is a day to remember all loved ones who have died (with a special emphasis on veterans). I think because of this, there is less emphasis placed on Veteran's Day (Armistice Day, Remembrance Day) as they are competing holidays for the same purpose. They still sell poppies on 11/11, though, and I usually buy one if I'm out and about.