An Old School Catholic Message Board

Fun For The Family Or:

TheTruth

[quote name='Hassan' post='1678268' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:20 PM']"the Orient"
I've never really heard anyone use that term in common language.[/quote]

I'm an old woman whose vocabulary comes from a time before text messaging.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1678294' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:51 PM']I'm an old woman whose vocabulary comes from a time before text messaging.[/quote]

I never got a text message before last year. I was reading through some Journal Articles on Inter-Ethnic Identity and my friend found me, "DUDE! Where were you? I texted you like 10 minutes ago!"

Had no idea what she was talking about, never even knew my phone could get texts :detective:

And you're not old. My family members live forever, till like the 90's eas, so for me you're like a teenager.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1678302' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:01 PM']Disney engages in unjust trade agreements.[/quote]

I knew that mouse was no good>(

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1678252' date='Oct 16 2008, 02:49 AM']I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when Madame finds out that you have suggested she might be Muslim. She's always looking for an excuse to go to the Orient. You might get a visitor.[/quote]
Bah, she has me on ignore anyway. If she did care, I guess she could try to break into the Marine base I live on if she doesn't mind being placed in a body bag. :)

Edited by Justin86

rizz_loves_jesus

I don't think the "magic" at Disney World is the problem- what's wrong with Disney is that they support Planned Parenthood.

[quote name='Justin86' post='1678326' date='Oct 15 2008, 02:59 PM']Bah, she has me on ignore anyway. If she did care, I guess she could try to break into the Marine base I live on if she doesn't mind being placed in a body bag. :)[/quote]

I knew you were a Marine.

You're clever web of lies has fallen asunder

I mean, it's not like Sailors could ever live on a Marine Corps base

that's impossible :detective:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1677559' date='Oct 14 2008, 07:37 PM']I'm fairly certain that that "magic" is the fairytale kind, not the pentagram and animal sacrifice kind. :idontknow:[/quote]

I don't know why, but I found this post amusing :hehe:

[quote name='havok579257' post='1678203' date='Oct 15 2008, 07:28 AM']Since when are Catholics against Harry Potter?

When are Catholic's against a story that champions love, friendship, duty, doing the right thing and fighting evil?[/quote]

Harry Potter isn't as simple as "love, friendship, duty, doing the right thing etc."

You must examine the ways in which he does the right thing and fights against evil. There is lying, theft, and blatant disrespect for authority involved in Harry Potter. This doesn't make it wrong to read, but it does make it less black and white then say Lord of the Rings which was written by a Catholic with Catholic themes to it.

Can you find good in Harry Potter? Yes. Is there evil in Harry Potter? Yes, and what's worse is that it is subtle evil that a lot of readers may not catch but still be influenced by.

Personally, I like it. I also wouldn't let my 9 year old read it without discussing it with me.

Harry Potter is magical, which in itself isn't wrong, but as someone else stated, its magical setting is placed within reality. Tolkien on the other hand places his reality in a second world clearly distinct from, yet analogous to reality. Harry Potter is not clearly distinct from reality as it takes place in modern day times and modern day cities that actually exist (as opposed to Rivendell).

LouisvilleFan

Anyone here listed to the "The Secrets of Harry Potter" podcast? I've never read the stories or listened to this show, but what I've heard about it sounds interesting and almost makes me want to read the stories somtime.

MakeYouThinkTwo

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1677758' date='Oct 14 2008, 11:11 PM']MakeYouThink.

Who I accused SpareTime of being.[/quote]
[mod]you don't get to post here anymore[/mod]

Edited by homeschoolmom

• 2 weeks later...

Disney is for kids, by kids.
There pretty prominent on the child labour scene, last I heard.

So I go with "the devil's playground". I'm not going to intentionally financially support Disney, it's theme parks, or products.