An Old School Catholic Message Board

Indy 4

Brother Adam

I got to see Indiana Jones 4 today as it came out on blu-ray. Crystal Alien skull wha??? Alternate dimensions? huH? This movie made no sense. Yes, it kept some of the old school vintage indie stuff and paid homage to the previous movies, and the giant amazon ant scene was awesome, other than that it was just weird. 2/4 stars for plot 3.5/4 stars for video, 3.5/4 stars for audio.

Saint Therese

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1677864' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:05 AM']I got to see Indiana Jones 4 today as it came out on blu-ray. Crystal Alien skull wha??? Alternate dimensions? huH? This movie made no sense. Yes, it kept some of the old school vintage indie stuff and paid homage to the previous movies, and the giant amazon ant scene was awesome, other than that it was just weird. 2/4 stars for plot 3.5/4 stars for video, 3.5/4 stars for audio.[/quote]

I think the Indy one and three were religious in theme, and i think they deliberately made number four not reliigous.
I havn't seen it but i heard it was bad.

I liked the happy ending for Indiana Jones though and that last seen with Mutt and Indy's hat.

That part when one character intentionally drove the car down that cliff and everone survived was totally unrealistic, especially when everybody survived three waterfalls in a row!

There was an article in yesterday's paper with Karen Allen, and she said it made enough money that they were maybe working on scripts for #5. I guess they could write Mutt's damaged hand into the script like they did with Luke's scarred face in Empire Strikes Back.

sarcasmguy126

it was plenty enjoyable, just some of the dialogue and plot made no sense. case in point: the only two scenes that really confused me were the beginning one with the atom bomb and the[spoiler]end scene with the crystal skull becoming an alien[/spoiler] (???) Where did the bomb in the beginning come from, where did that village of rag dolls come from, and what on earth did it have to do with the main story, it made no sense? However, Ford was as spry and able-bodied as he was 20 years ago, and the action sequences were exciting, the special effects were good, the characters well-done (esp. Ford and Karen Allen reprising their respectable roles from "Raiders"). "Raiders" was better, and so were the other older ones, but this one (as a whole) wasn't that bad.

The atom bomb did make sense to me because I knew the history behind it. They were trying to set the period of the film (area 51, the first test of the atom bomb) as well as where area 51 is (near the same base they set the blast off). The dummy town was set up to see how much destruction there would be on a near by town in the case they used the atom bomb. Without the aliens, this would have been a much better film.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1682142' date='Oct 20 2008, 08:49 PM']Without the aliens, this would have been a much better film.[/quote]

I think it would have been okay to keep the [i]idea[/i] of the aliens (like the crystal skull legend) as the driving force, but if they somehow made the ending more realistic, it would have been better, I agree.

eagle_eye222001

Saw the movie. Didn't care for it that much. Thought it was too unrealistic. You can have some surrealism and get away with it, but I thought this film asked too much.

The end was retarded. Did not like it at all.

Saint Therese

That really bums me out. What I loved about Indy I and III were the religious themes, and I think they went out of their way to remove religious themes from Indy IV.
Aliens? That's just sad.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1688420' date='Oct 29 2008, 12:40 AM']That really bums me out. What I loved about Indy I and III were the religious themes, and I think they went out of their way to remove religious themes from Indy IV.
Aliens? That's just sad.[/quote]

The absence of religion did not bug me that much. It was that blasted ending. And yeah those aliens didn't help either.

Maybe I should step inside a fridge, get carried like a mile and slam into the earth, and then open the door and walk out like the Merrry-Go-Round ride was over.